I had to go to the airport recently but noticed on the way there and back that the Museum District/Binz actually has a decent sized skyline for itself that will continue to get taller and larger with projects like these.

I never bothered noticing the towers in Museum District before but all these buildings are bringing everything together.

It has a beautiful little skyline. I see it every morning driving down to Sugarland. Spur 527 driving onto 59 is the best way to see it all. Houston is so much more dense than people realize.

• Like 1

Rumor has it they have a couple projects in the early stages of predevelopment in the galleria area. There is a very healthy pipeline of proposed high rises in uptown. .

I wonder who will develop Simons Galleria residential tower? But yes, there are quite a few projects planned for uptown (seems like I read somewhere that around 20 residential projects are planned for uptown, along with a handful of office towers).

I can't wait to watch uptowns skyline explode over the next 5 years..

Edited by cloud713

Rumor has it they have a couple projects in the early stages of predevelopment in the galleria area. There is a very healthy pipeline of proposed high rises in uptown. .

Is Hines thinking of doing any office/multifamily(/hotel) mixed use towers rather than the primarily multifamily/retail or office/retail developements they have been doing. It is interesting to see Midway talk about how they like to have three components in a project but I can't recall Hines giving it a try. Not saying they should though, Hines seems to be doing perfectly fine how they currently operate. Just a little curious!

• Like 1

It would definitely be neat to see Hines attempt at a mixed use (3+ component) project. The residential projects with retail is nice, but I want to see some real mixed use developments where you can live work and play without having to leave the vicinity. Midway seems to have it down.. Why not Hines?

It would definitely be neat to see Hines attempt at a mixed use (3+ component) project. The residential projects with retail is nice, but I want to see some real mixed use developments where you can live work and play without having to leave the vicinity. Midway seems to have it down.. Why not Hines?

Hines just recently boarded the residential train. They spent much of their existence building office.

Also it's harder to build mixed use. More components the more banks, money, approvals, planning, etc will be needed.

Hines just recently boarded the residential train. They spent much of their existence building office.

Also it's harder to build mixed use. More components the more banks, money, approvals, planning, etc will be needed.

True.. I almost forget Hines has only been in the residential market for 4-5 years, they are doing such a good job with their residential projects.

And great point about mixed use projects needing more banks, approvals, ect. A lot of us (myself included) tend to forget how much more complicated mixed use developments are than regular developments.. If GreenStreet turns around and becomes as successful as CityCentre then I will have a lot more respect for Midway... CC has been phenomenal.

Edit. I guess Hines sort of started with large scale mixed use developments if you think about it.. Both theGalleria and the Dallas galleria, with retail, hotel, and office components mixed.. I would like to see them take another shot at large scale mixed use developments, but this time more vertical than theGalleria.. Heh. I guess Hines could develop the Hardy Yards site, the KBR site, the downtown Post Office site, or the Astroworld site for a more horizontal large scale project. Other then that or way out in the suburbs there aren't many options for something as sprawling as theGalleria development elsewhere in Houston.

Edited by cloud713

The story mentions that Hines has another development in the Galleria. Does anybody know anything about that?

The Bizjournals story most likely was referring to Hines project at Westheimer and Shepherd (old Cafe Adobe site).

Technically not what I would call the Galleria area but that term has been used more loosely than "River Oaks" for decades. I had friends in college who had an apartment in the Gulfton/Bellaire/Hillcroft vicinity and would always say "Galleria Area".

The Bizjournals story most likely was referring to Hines project at Westheimer and Shepherd (old Cafe Adobe site).

Technically not what I would call the Galleria area but that term has been used more loosely than "River Oaks" for decades. I had friends in college who had an apartment in the Gulfton/Bellaire/Hillcroft vicinity and would always say "Galleria Area".

Good point; thanks for clarifying.

Who really knows what the article was referring too. Associating the apartment on Gulfton as Galleria Area" make excellent marketing sense for an area that doesn't have such a definable or positive marketable identity. The Hines development at Westheimer and Shepherd however could be marketed as "River Oaks" "Montrose" or "Upper Kirby" even. I believe that these marketing locals would more residential selling power than "Galleria Area" which could mean Gulfton. No one from Hines would call this development Galleria Area, and neither would anybody else...at least not any more. What I believe the comment is referring to is the development by the Waterwall, which is A Hines Project. And apparently as the comment was plural. It makes sense to assume that there may be more than on such development planned. Reasonable to assume.

• Like 1

No one from Hines would call this development Galleria Area, and neither would anybody else...at least not any more.

I very much agreed. Gulfton is at least relatively close to the Galleria. Shepherd and Westheimer is no where close to the Galleria and there are too many named areas in between to be mistaken in my opinion.

• Like 1

Who really knows what the article was referring too. Associating the apartment on Gulfton as Galleria Area" make excellent marketing sense for an area that doesn't have such a definable or positive marketable identity. The Hines development at Westheimer and Shepherd however could be marketed as "River Oaks" "Montrose" or "Upper Kirby" even. I believe that these marketing locals would more residential selling power than "Galleria Area" which could mean Gulfton. No one from Hines would call this development Galleria Area, and neither would anybody else...at least not any more. What I believe the comment is referring to is the development by the Waterwall, which is A Hines Project. And apparently as the comment was plural. It makes sense to assume that there may be more than on such development planned. Reasonable to assume.

My comment was not intended to be matter-of-fact, hell if I know, I was only speculating.

Go back and re-read the article. It referred to the Waterwall Place development as the 4th project under development THEN mentioned three other projects (implying one in the "Galleria area", one in the Museum district and one Downtown). If they were not referring to the Cafe Adobe site, now that would be an important 5th development that they neglected to mention. Some of you commentors on Haif are too smart for your own good sometimes. Use a little deductive reasoning my friend. 

Additionally, this article was written by a Bizjournal's reporter and was not necessarily a marketing piece from Hines. My friends from college simply referred to their neighborhood as the 'Galleria area' as a landmark and who knows (or cares) if the apartment complex marketed it as such.

So naviGUESSor.., your guess is as good as mine...

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fence going up on the site this morning along San Jacinto and Southmore. 

I don't know if the residential leases are expired yet, but would assume they could take down the eyelash institute building first.

Edited by nate
  • Like 2

although some have managed to extend their stay my daughter said they were all supposed to be out by this last christmas.

they left on the first of January. Also took some fine architectural parting gifts for memories.

• Like 1

I thought this was still up in the air in terms of community issues / permits / etc. Last time i checked Hines was doing some outreach on this to community...

I think it will be a cool building either way. A step to bridge the hole between TMC and DT...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to advocate for a race to the bottom.  There is nearby property, however, that does not require scraping off several very nice older houses and sticking a fork into the Asia House views, and which would still be nicely accessible for the purposes of this project.

• Like 1

I'm not going to advocate for a race to the bottom. There is nearby property, however, that does not require scraping off several very nice older houses and sticking a fork into the Asia House views, and which would still be nicely accessible for the purposes of this project.

Well, these are the owners that were willing to sell. You don't think Hines approached owners of vacant land first so they could save the cost of demolition?