Bob Plumb

GreenStreet Redevelopment + 21-Story Hotel Alessandra

What is the target audience for this project anyway? Daytime office workers or evening / weekend dt visitors?

Like I stated before I am hoping for the best but I STILL think If they don't turn the place INSIDE OUT on the street level and have street facing attractions this redo is going to be more of the same. I realize you probably can't line the exterior along the sidewalks with cafes and bars but if there's not enough to make it interesting it's gonna be boring. 

They need a tunnel connection as well if possible.

What is the target audience for this project anyway? Daytime office workers or evening / weekend dt visitors?

Like I stated before I am hoping for the best but I STILL think If they don't turn the place INSIDE OUT on the street level and have street facing attractions this redo is going to be more of the same. I realize you probably can't line the exterior along the sidewalks with cafes and bars but if there's not enough to make it interesting it's gonna be boring. 

More tunnel connection, IMO no, I want to see life on the surface. 

Most women office workers prefer to take the tunnels. I hear that all the time. Especially in areas where there are lots of street bums. Which is the Greenstreet area. 

Please, please, PLEASE read the descriptions of the plans for the redo.

Once all renovation is complete, storefronts along Dallas will be lined with outdoor patios...

I just cleaned out more than a dozen off-topic messages in this thread.

If you want to talk about something other than the Greenstreet project, then start a new thread.

If you can't participate in a civil conversation and stay on topic, you are welcome to surf elsewhere.

• Like 1

rumor has it that they are (or at least were) looking at adding a hotel-component. no idea where it would go.

On one side of the street, outdoor cafes are shown lining the three-block GreenStreet development and a new high-rise has been added to the property that task force members said is a proposed hotel. Across the street, a major retailer occupies the ground floor of the Sakowitz Building, currently used for parking."

9736737274_e2c2814019_o.png

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Plan-calls-for-tax-dollars-to-help-create-4810595.php?cmpid=atfpm

• Like 3

it doesn't really look like much has happened, but the interior sidewalks are semi- open, and there's lots of plumbing for fountains and stuff.

it has been really wet this year, and lost of the areas they dug up turned into mud pits

http://midwaycompanies.com/img/leasing/site-plans/GS-131031-Merchandising_Plan.pdf

This site plan by midway confirms that:

-they are building a 250 room hotel on Fannin/ Dallas

-Six new restaurants coming to Greenstreet on the first floor

-on second level  there will be a 30,000 Square Feet Fitness center

Edited by Mab
  • Like 6

^  Cool.  Note that the site plans states that the Fitness Center, the hotel and the six restaurants (plus an "office" space on the second level) are all "under negotiation".

The site plan also indicates two additional spaces designated as "office", another as "office/restaurant" (all on level 2), a "restaurant/bar" space on level 3 and a couple of undesignated spaces on level 1.

...perfect planning thus far. but what about retail? downtown desperately needs stores for patrons to shop, isn't this the primary purpose for building this mall in the first place?

also, the "hotel" aspect is fabulous. with this addition, the center can not help but become successful.

...perfect planning thus far. but what about retail? downtown desperately needs stores for patrons to shop, isn't this the primary purpose for building this mall in the first place?

also, the "hotel" aspect is fabulous. with this addition, the center can not help but become successful.

I like this project. Reminds me of my home country. Shopping at the bottom; restaurants, hair salons, local news paper on 2nd level, businesses and offices on 3rd levels; and condos, hotels, apartments on higher levels.

Well i am happy to see it grow...6 more restraunts ? Do we really need that many downtown is not lacking in those..retail is were it hurts the most..still according to the map they still have plenty of space left so we stilk can hope

Glad that improvements are being made.  I figured they would add a hotel.

And I kept reading this as "GreenSHEET" and wondered what the heck you guys were so excited about that for?!  I mean newspaper coupons are about as boring as things can go.

I like this project. Reminds me of my home country. Shopping at the bottom; restaurants, hair salons, local news paper on 2nd level, businesses and offices on 3rd levels; and condos, hotels, apartments on higher levels.

Your home country... Would that be the Roman Empire?

• Like 1

Are you from Venezuela? I spend every summer there and it is the exact same way.

Having never been in HoB, I did not realize that it did not somehow occupy the second floor.

A 250 unit hotel on that kind of footprint would have to be atleast 8-10 stories, right?

EDIT - Just saw the 25 story note. That would be an interesting addition to watch come together.

Edited by Nate99

Sounds like a name the Valencia group would choose (who have the Hotel Valencia in SA and Hotel Sorella in City Centre).  Hope so, that would be very auspicious for Greenstreet and downtown in general.

GreenStreet expansion TBA soon:

That's good news for Brinsden, whose company is redeveloping GreenStreet, the former Houston Pavilions downtown.

"We're trying to evolve that into a true mixed-use destination," he said.

In about 60 days, the company is expected to announce an expansion at the complex, which now houses retail and office space.

"We think this project needed that third activity generator," Brinsden said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Builders-reshape-how-the-area-will-grow-5043295.php

• Like 1

Good news. Also, it looks like the Chronicle has found a way to eliminate the loop hole of finding and reading it via google.

• Like 1

Is this expansion the hotel only?

I think there are about 6 restaurants and maybe a fitness center plus the hotel.

oK!  I guess the word expansion had me hoping that it would expand across the street by tearing down that garage and making it a larger destination.  Thanks for the clarification LTAWACS. :)

lockmat.... shhh... that still works   :)

I think I tried it too soon after the article was published.

I think I tried it too soon after the article was published.

FYI,  It's not a secret loophole that you are slipping by the Chronicle.   It is an arrangement they have with Google.

FYI,  It's not a secret loophole that you are slipping by the Chronicle.   It is an arrangement they have with Google.

Really? How does it benefit the Chron?

It also works with Bing & Yahoo, so I guess they have arrangement with all search engines.

It also works with Bing & Yahoo, so I guess they have arrangement with all search engines.

One would imagine that competitive search engine companies would come up with similar offerings.

Edited by Houston19514

Really? How does it benefit the Chron?

Not really sure.  I imagine it gets more page views, kind of a teaser, I guess.  Also maybe gets their articles to come up more often/higher in Google searches.

The service exists and the Chron, along with Dallas Morning News and many other publications have signed up for it.  It's called First Click Free.