Sign in to follow this  
Bob Plumb

Retail suggestions for downtown and tunnels:

Signs in downtown are limited to 42.5 feet, unless it is the companies national headquarters and the company occupies at least 45% of the building that the sign is on.

http://documents.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/divisions/planning/enforcement/signcode20110902.pdf

Section 4609 (E)(2)

Well then, we just need to get them to relocate. It'd definitely give us a one-up on NYC for corporate headquarters. Rename one of the downtown buildings Beaver Tower. Maybe that's where we could put a downtown Treasure's as well.

Well then, we just need to get them to relocate. It'd definitely give us a one-up on NYC for corporate headquarters. Rename one of the downtown buildings Beaver Tower. Maybe that's where we could put a downtown Treasure's as well.

Has anyone contacted the mayors office about this idea?

• Like 1

We need a Treasures in the tunnels.  

And a gun range.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

I have this feeling that totheskies is trolling

Why do you say that?  You should probably be careful to lodge such accusations. 

Y'all don't have to like the idea... that's the point of having a forum.  But in my opinion, downtown needs to do some things to increase it's tourist appeal. 

On Monday I took the day off and decided to catch the bus downtown.  I had lunch at Phoenicia, then rode the Green Link bus over to City Hall.  I checked out the one gift shop we do have, and went to the Ideson Library, then decided to get some pictures from the observation decks. 

At the Chase tower deck, I met a whole group (8 people) of tourists from China.  They were all taking pictures in the deck, and they stopped me to ask where they PAY to be able to exit.  I told them that Houston's ob decks are free, and they were floored.  I'm sure most of us have been to New York, and paid 40, 50 bucks for the "privilege" of going into the Empire State Building.  The fact that we just dismiss our downtown as something unworthy of a true tourist infrastructure really upsets me.  Downtown Houston has lots of fun, interesting things to do, and we need to start acting like it!! 

Edited by totheskies
  • Like 3

Now that's some marketing synergy right there.

Plus, we all know how conventioneers like gift shops and peeler joints

Why do you say that?  You should probably be careful to lodge such accusations. 

Well ok... but your " Absolutely BUILT for downtown Houston." sounded sarcastic and even the rest of that comment for that matter. It's not unreasonable to make one think you are trolling...

Well ok... but your " Absolutely BUILT for downtown Houston." sounded sarcastic and even the rest of that comment for that matter. It's not unreasonable to make one think you are trolling...

So it's a crime to like Buc-ee's and downtown so much that you feel the need to capitalize?? 

No beaver nuggets for you. 

Swamplot linked to an article that mentioned the Spencer's in the Hilton Americas will soon be a Pappasito's.

That is going to do very well.

I'd like to see something similar at the new Marriott. Goode Company perhaps?

If we are talking about food, I wouldn't mind an expansion of Gatlin's BBQ especially if it were away from Pierce and Pappa's BBQ

Walmart.  106 pages of comments on the Heights/Walmart page can't be wrong.  The City could enter a 380 agreement to fund tunnel improvements.  Nothing controversial with those.  

Walmart. 106 pages of comments on the Heights/Walmart page can't be wrong. The City could enter a 380 agreement to fund tunnel improvements. Nothing controversial with those.

125.JPG Edited by august948