More minor league baseball teams coming to the area?

I wouldn't put much stock in this article. It reads like page filler, for one thing. It's very vague, for another. There's not a lot of meat to the story. Finally, and no offense to the author, it was written by an intern. Looks like the paper had a hole to fill, they couldn't sell any advertising for the space and the intern needed something for his clipbook so he could get a grade. He had the Skeeters part owner on the phone for somethng else, the guy makes a quip about a pie in the sky plan for expansion that's actually little more than dream at the moment, but if you're in the news business ya gotta have something to print, so voila, it gets turned into a story when in fact, there's almost nothing there.

This article doesn't say much but I remember an old one where Jim Crane said he is interested in buying the NOLA AAA team and moving it to somewhere in Montgomery county. This team would be the new Astros triple A team and would not associate with OKC

• 4 months later...

I've always thought Galveston would be the perfect location for a smallish baseball club.  There is ample room just west of downtown in the marshy area just west of 33rd street.  The Port of Galveston could work with the city/team etc. to build a couple of 2 level parking structures and maybe spuce up that area.  Long term they could build a train station and hotel to re-connect with the mainland via a commuter rail sort of like the old InterUrban lines from decades past.

I'd love to see another team adopt a Pelican as a formal mascot.  Those are fantastic animals.

Yes, and there have been Galveston teams off and on in the Texas League through the years. (Buccaneers, Pirates, Sand Crabs etc. mostly in the '20s and '30s.) (also the Class B White Caps of the Gulf Coast League and Big State League of the '50s, who apparently gave their name to Galveston College's sports teams.)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived