HAIF - Houston's original social media

1101 Main St. - Main Food Store

3 hours ago, kbates2 said:

This store just needs to close, it’s a huge blight.

When it comes to businesses, people vote with their feet and with their pocketbooks.
Obviously, this store is filling the needs of enough people to pay the overhead and make a profit, so it's doing something right. Why do you want to deprive their customers a place to shop?
Also, it's not big enough to be a huge blight. It's just the right size blight. I dislike downtowns that have become so slick and sterile that they resemble 80's shopping malls. It's nice to see something that's still a bit gritty and real.

• Like 4

It's not their customers as much as their loiterers.  If a liquor store opens - cool - if it has customers who get hammered outside and pass out and yell at other customers/pedestrians - not cool.  This store tends to be closer to the latter in my example.  

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Really it’s the owner who can’t afford repairs. At least it’s still intact. 

You make a good point. Perhaps down the road someone with more money will come along and restore this little hidden jewel.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bobruss said:

You make a good point. Perhaps down the road someone with more money will come along and restore this little hidden jewel.

I wish the same about the Houston Center renovations. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Subdude said:

I wish the same about the Houston Center renovations. 

You mean you hope that someday someone comes along and restores Houston Center back to its original anti-pedestrian, 70's fortress look?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
On 1/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, H-Town Man said:

You mean you hope that someday someone comes along and restores Houston Center back to its original anti-pedestrian, 70's fortress look?

No, not necessarily, but I think the Houston Center restorations could have been more sympathetic to the original architecture.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 10:24 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Check out the detail above the windows. It's all about to be covered up again. Every window has a different icon.

49554783193_50edf5ffb7_b.jpg

It sucks seeing this being covered up again BUT the good thing is it’s not being torn down or damaged. I wish the owner had the money to restore it. 

• Like 4