The Heart Of Houston Is Being Ripped Out

Maybe I'm posting in the right place, maybe I'm not, but hear me out, because it seems in this city I cannot find anyone who will listen.  My biggest greivance about how things are done in this city is that most of the people in particular positions never respond to emails, ever.  This is at all levels right up to the Mayor's department.  I have a property in Midtown, the home of a WW1 photographer, he's not too well known for his art, since he worked as a postman most of his life, but he left an interesting collection of photographs of Texas and her military, histrorical costumes and buildings etc.  I may publish these at some point.  So I'm puzzling over tearing down his 67 year old home right now, or restoring it.  Thought that if I made a few phone calls sent off some emails I might get some replies which might give me some incentive to restore the home.  Oddly enough never got any replies from anyone.  I am beginning to understand now, why it is that others just give up and sell out their lots to builders so that huge ugly concrete homes can be erected in neighborhoods where once there was elegance and charm.  Those new homes of course will look pretty bad in 25-30 years, despite what people are paying for them now.  Once the last of these historical homes are gone, there's no way of bringing them back again.

What sort of incentive were you looking for? If you like the house and have the resources, fix it up. If not, sell it. The city, in certain jurisdictions, will tell you what kind of windows you can use but I don't think they ever pay for them.

No you are reading this completely wrong.  I am not looking for the city to pay for anything.  I was just looking for some 'incentive' or reason if you prefer not to tear down yet another property.  I haven't found one.  No one cares in this city, lot of people who even claim to have an historical interest in the place seem much too smug when it comes down to it.  Ah well.  Another one bites the dust then.  No doubt the city will enjoy the massive influx of exaggerated home taxes as yet more of these concrete disasters are thrown up in the neighborhoods.  Which oddly enough is another problem with the city, the older homes are being charged excessive taxes, which leaves little option for most people but to sell up and see their homes torn down.  In any sane place, owners of historical homes would be encouraged not to demolish them, perhaps even with tax breaks.  The city of Houston is much too greedy however.  By the way I'm a builder, I know what a rubbish building is when I look at one.  If it's concrete it's rubbish, with a life of 25 years.  So it's goodbye to charm, elegance and pretty gardens in some neighborhoods, and hello to concrete driveways to a house that is more garage than home, with a shrub beside it which somehow wins 'yard of the week' in the local homeowners association.  Seeing all this has made me quite cynical.

If you're looking for a pat on the back, I'm afraid you're in the wrong town. The city doesn't care, and rightly so, what you do with your private property. That's changed a bit with the HAHC, but sounds to me like that's been more of a pain than anything else. If the property is really of significant historical value, you might be able to get it desginated as a National Historic Landmark. Not sure what that entails, though, but if you get it I believe it prevents anyone from tearing it down.

I'd also have to guess it's not the value of the older homes that's pushing up the taxes but the value of the underlying land. You are, however, completely in your rights to preserve and restore the house as you see fit. And as long as you aren't subject to the HAHC you won't have anybody all up in your business about it.

Why are you bothering the city?

If you are looking for help, I'd start with The Greater Houston Area Preservation Alliance. If you do good work, you can even enter your place in the annual "good brick award" contest.

With all due respect I'm glad the city hasn't responded to you. You shouldn't be wasting their time asking about your personal property and what to do with it. I didn't email the city asking if I should renovate my house. Likewise, I wouldn't email them asking what color to paint it.

The city is very responsive (I know firsthand). I used to run a blog called InnerLooped and learned that most people at the city are awesome and hard working. They are insanely busy and can only spend time on matters that they have control over. They can't waste taxpayer's money by spending time to help you make a personal decision.

Also, HCAD values properties. If yours is too high... then protest it.

BTW, as a former Midtown resident... I'm curious to know what property you have in the neighborhood. The old ones that remain are pretty cool and should definitely be fixed up if they can be saved.

Why'd you stop writing innerlooped, I liked that blog!

Anyway, to the OP. I wish you luck on your venture. I hope you restore and renovate the home and while I can understand the need for government to create  incentive  for restoration in some cases; I feel that should be more for public projects or large scale structures where financing can be difficult. 

Hope you restore the home, (post pictures if you do!)

No you are reading this completely wrong.  I am not looking for the city to pay for anything.  I was just looking for some 'incentive' or reason if you prefer not to tear down yet another property.  I haven't found one.  No one cares in this city, lot of people who even claim to have an historical interest in the place seem much too smug when it comes down to it.  Ah well.  Another one bites the dust then.  No doubt the city will enjoy the massive influx of exaggerated home taxes as yet more of these concrete disasters are thrown up in the neighborhoods.  Which oddly enough is another problem with the city, the older homes are being charged excessive taxes, which leaves little option for most people but to sell up and see their homes torn down.  In any sane place, owners of historical homes would be encouraged not to demolish them, perhaps even with tax breaks.  The city of Houston is much too greedy however.  By the way I'm a builder, I know what a rubbish building is when I look at one.  If it's concrete it's rubbish, with a life of 25 years.  So it's goodbye to charm, elegance and pretty gardens in some neighborhoods, and hello to concrete driveways to a house that is more garage than home, with a shrub beside it which somehow wins 'yard of the week' in the local homeowners association.  Seeing all this has made me quite cynical.

The only one in a position to save the home is you. You seem to be saying homes should be saved. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Why'd you stop writing innerlooped, I liked that blog!

Tons of work and time required, also bought a house and am renovating it. I might bring it back. I always laughed when people accused me of "making something up" for "the money". I accomplished a lot with that blog (Bagby street esp) so I may bring it back if I ever get time or decide to run for city council or something (I can be your urban voice!).

To the OP--

It is true-- You have to want to preserve your home. I live very close to where Montrose and Midtown meet. My house is one of those that required a lot of work done to it. I took many years. I can't take credit for it, someone else accomplished all that, but I am so glad to have my house in it's restored condition.

So for a start-- There  are "workshops" that deal with Historic preservation held all over the city-- you just missed one at 707 Whitman May 29-- And there was a huge Historical Preservation  "fair" dedicated to all things preservation oriented (getting started, getting permits, installing windows etcetcetc)  May 18. The resources will be out there but you have to find them. 

I suggest

www.houstontx.gov/neighborhoods

or   www.facebook.com/COHdepartmentofneighborhoods

These people are really busy-- but I have found they also are reliable about answering emails-- keep trying--good luck

For some reason (and this is perhaps a similar scenario anyway), I'm imagining the scene from Up in which it reveals in the present that Carl's house is surrounded by office towers and high-density, upscale buildings.

If you are looking for help, I'd start with The Greater Houston Area Preservation Alliance. If you do good work, you can even enter your place in the annual "good brick award" contest.

Good idea. The "Greater Houston Preservation Alliance" is now called Preservation Houston. Here is the web site: www.preservationhouston.org.

• The title was changed to The Heart Of Houston Is Being Ripped Out

Archived