1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovations

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are slide photos taken chronologically during the construction of the 1958-1959 addition to the Texaco Building at 1111 Rusk, along with a 1965 photo of the completed building.   These were taken

Enough about those yankees...  

Texaco Building Redevelopment by marclongoria, on Flickr     Texaco Building Redevelopment by marclongoria, on Flickr

Posted Images

Who hosted the workshop an was it open to the public?

No one hosted it, my sister works there, she never told me that there were architects there up until the other day. I was so impressed to see so many existing and new projects there. I saw the Astoria, Five Chasewood, Kingwood Parc, etc. As far as I know every project that we have a topic on, they have every render and floor plans. So if the 102 story tower is a real thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it would even have it there.

So you're sitting on a gold mine and you never knew it?! :P

No more pics? No revelations of unannounced projects? You didn't search out for the 102-story? We need more details sir.

• Like 1

So you're sitting on a gold mine and you never knew it?! :pNo more pics? No revelations of unannounced projects? You didn't search out for the 102-story? We need more details sir.

No problem, I'll see if I can go next week. :) I feel like I found the "Holy Grail" of projects, lol.

No more pictures for now.

I saw some projects for San Antonio and Austin as well. There were just so many stacks of projects there. So many that there were rooms and rooms that had stacks of projects.

No problem, I'll see if I can go next week. :) I feel like I found the "Holy Grail" of projects, lol.

No more pictures for now.

I saw some projects for San Antonio and Austin as well. There were just so many stacks of projects there. So many that there were rooms and rooms that had stacks of projects.

How about the height in feet for some of these projects? Would you be able to get that?

• 4 weeks later...

There was a whole lot more activity today, too.  They had a crane there this morning which appeared to lift something onto the roof of the older building (I have a clear view of the roof of the new building, but nothing was put there), but the crane is gone now.  They also had a whole bunch of trucks parked near the RV.  Also they have a new trailer of some sort, but I didn't get close enough to see what it was.

Also, this afternoon they added some kind of lift structure (looked like what they use for window washing) on the roof of the southwest side.  I'll report back later with pictures if things get more interesting.

• Like 3

There was a whole lot more activity today, too.  They had a crane there this morning which appeared to lift something onto the roof of the older building (I have a clear view of the roof of the new building, but nothing was put there), but the crane is gone now.  They also had a whole bunch of trucks parked near the RV.  Also they have a new trailer of some sort, but I didn't get close enough to see what it was.

Also, this afternoon they added some kind of lift structure (looked like what they use for window washing) on the roof of the southwest side.  I'll report back later with pictures if things get more interesting.

Thanks. Keep us in the loop.

• Like 1

They have scaffolding on both the south and east side of the building. They have a lot of construction workers on the balconies and on the ground in the back. This one is going to be difficult to take pics of since most of the work is interior.

They have scaffolding on both the south and east side of the building. They have a lot of construction workers on the balconies and on the ground in the back. This one is going to be difficult to take pics of since most of the work is interior.

There will be a lot of exterior work on the back (north) side.

Quite a lot more activity today.  There are several guys on the roof by the southwest side of the taller building, where they have set up another structure, a ladder up to a third floor window by the south corner, a few more guys hanging out a fifth floor window that has been removed (hard to see in the photo but just above the ladder), and they've removed a bit of the façade between the third and fourth floors on the southwest side of the shorter building.

NAiEm69.jpg

• Like 5

This is a renovation and a garage. Most of the work on the building will occur on the inside so it wont ever look like a major construction site from the front side.

I hope it goes well and they decide to build the high rise on the back side.

Those renderings looked good.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What will be taking up the small space on the north end of the San Jacinto side of the building.  Most of the renderings seem to be from the Capitol St perspective, but the San Jacinto facade is so impressive it would be nice to see it emphasized.  As I recall the original hotel proposal for the property had its main entrance on San Jacinto, but the next proposal opened onto Fannin. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thankful for the photo update, but it's just grainy enough that I can't tell if they just cleaned it or if they also removed the architectural detail too. I think I can barely see it, am I right?

I'm thankful for the photo update, but it's just grainy enough that I can't tell if they just cleaned it or if they also removed the architectural detail too. I think I can barely see it, am I right?

I'm pretty sure they are just cleaning it. At least from every aspect I can tell. At first I was thinking the same thing until I had to take a second look at some older pictures of the building.

It is pretty crazy to think a building looks one way before you take off the dirt and grime and it looks completely different after.

Not sure if this will help: http://i.imgur.com/DggJiMm.jpg

Better, thanks. It's clear there is no architectural detail between the windows of the first two columns by the corner. Here's hoping that's how it was before. Guess we will know for sure once they start on the next column or someone finds an old up close photo of the same area.

• 3 weeks later...

This project and others will make walking from the red line to Minute Maid Park much more enjoyable. Coming from Main Street and walking east: 806 Main, 1111 Rusk, the US Post Office Building and the upcoming High School for Performing and Visual Arts. If you make a left on Austin, you'll be at the 28-story residential then the Finger apartments then the ballpark.

As of February 2:

IMG_00101_zps3a89d9f7.jpg

IMG_00111_zpsc878ce4a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to 1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovations