Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

They've had a tree on the roof of the newer Texaco tower for a while now.  At first I thought it was to indicate that something was topped out (strange since it's been topped out for the better part of a century!), but after seeing the tinsel on it, it may well have just been a Christmas tree!  Click for a wider view:

tn6OK7Xl.jpg

Also, I've noticed this last week they've had a whole lot of activity on the roof.  First they finally replaced the brick on the corner of the mechanical penthouse that had been removed months ago, then they were removing a lot of large objects (part of the elevator mechanicals maybe?) from it with the crane, and now they have a bunch of guys on top of the mechanical penthouse removing a lot of debris.

• Like 5

They've had a tree on the roof of the newer Texaco tower for a while now.  At first I thought it was to indicate that something was topped out (strange since it's been topped out for the better part of a century!), but after seeing the tinsel on it, it may well have just been a Christmas tree!  Click for a wider view:

tn6OK7Xl.jpg

Also, I've noticed this last week they've had a whole lot of activity on the roof.  First they finally replaced the brick on the corner of the mechanical penthouse that had been removed months ago, then they were removing a lot of large objects (part of the elevator mechanicals maybe?) from it with the crane, and now they have a bunch of guys on top of the mechanical penthouse removing a lot of debris.

Well considering the other native grasses popping up, I think this may just be their veiled attempt at getting LEED certified. Although, that is one of the saddest looking green roofs I've ever seen.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see it? The windows at Cougar Village make it look like a prison or something. Texaco looks like an old school high rise with punched out windows.

Edit. Ohhh.. I'm on my phone. That tiny strip/row of windows facing the inside?

Edited by cloud713

Come on Marc, its not gonna look like that when they cover that insulation and cladding with brick to match the other 3 walls. :lol:

I hope so!  :P I'm usually the person telling people not to jump the gun until construction is finished... whoops!

I don't see it? The windows at Cougar Village make it look like a prison or something. Texaco looks like an old school high rise with punched out windows.

Edit. Ohhh.. I'm on my phone. That tiny strip/row of windows facing the inside?

I agree that the little square windows on Cougar Village make it look like a prison.  Akin to the Federal Courthouse in downtown Houston, which is the ultimate in ghastlyness!

However, the little square windows on this project only appear to occupy a short part of the facade of this building.  I'm optimistic that it will turn out relative nicely, overall.

• Like 1

I hate Cougar Village from the outside, but I did a tour with my daughter and was impressed with the interiors. The social lounges on the top floor with downtown views were amazeballs. She landed in Cougar Place, which is about the nicest dorm I have ever seen (interior space wise).

• Like 1

I hate Cougar Village from the outside, but I did a tour with my daughter and was impressed with the interiors. The social lounges on the top floor with downtown views were amazeballs. She landed in Cougar Place, which is about the nicest dorm I have ever seen (interior space wise).

I'd agree there. The lounges are nice and they are great places to meet other students too. Like the inside, just the outside is already starting to look bad. And good choice, Cougar Place is great! The best view for residents at UofH is actually at the lofts but they can be quite expensive (You should check it out sometime). You have a view of downtown, Galleria, and TMC. 

Well, it could have been Random Hall at MIT. I'dd like to buy a vowel, Pat...

Simmons_Hall,_MIT,_Cambridge,_Massachuse