Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

I guess all those cranes on the horizon are just mirages. Why does Houston have to be the only city in the world where projects get cancelled, scaled down and/or modified.

Oh right, because weve never had a project delayed indefinitely, scrapped, scaled back or shelved here in Houston. My bad. :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

Oh right, because weve never had a project delayed indefinitely, scrapped, scaled back or shelved here in Houston. My bad. :rolleyes:

But this is pretty standard in an industry where a lot of things have to go right to make something happen! It's also ludicrous for people in general (this isn't specific to you or anyone) to place this particular label on Houston alone as if we are a special case or we live in some kind of bubble or under a depressing rain cloud that doesn't affect anyone else. It's just silly. I literally can not comprehend why people CHOOSE to subject themselves to that.

Not to mention it's incredibly irresponsible when someone throws this kind of conversational grenade simply to turn the discussion into a topic of failure. It's pretty obvious that this was the intention or the person did this for lulz and we shouldn't be distracted by it. This of course could become part of the discussion once the person has backed up his/her wild claim by fact, press release, inside information, etc...

Until then it should be ignored. I mean look at the incredible scope of the project and it's actually underway! It's making significant progress and this is only the early phases of it. Unless someone has info to the contrary then I'm inclined to believe that it's not only doing pretty well, but will build the full scope of the project.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

O right, because projects don't get scrapped, scaled back or shelved in any other city except Houston. Your bad. :rolleyes:

If they do scrap the tower position I really hope they go with the pocket park concept for that lot..but this being Houston odds are a surface parking lot

Wow. Whatever. If y'all want to waste time speculating about this nonsense. Fine.

• Like 3

I guess all those cranes on the horizon are just mirages. Why does Houston have to be the only city in the world where projects get cancelled, scaled down and/or modified.

I'll tell you why. It's called low barriers of entry. It's very easy for anyone in Houston to get one of these projects off the ground, so you get a lot of B-class players. A market flooded with good and bad projects is more likely to have cancelled projects. Also, inexperienced developers are more likely to get into trouble before projects are completed.

In a city like NY or DC, you have much higher barrier of entry. Between low land availability, high prices, zoning, architectural reviews, profers, unions,etc...only top experienced developers play the game, and it's less likely that projects get cancelled.

• Like 3

10171813_799933693397833_290541086404164

Houston First Update 
Not only are hotels and office towers booming in downtown Houston, so is residential development! Five projects are under construction and at least nine more are planned, according to Central Houston's Laura Van Ness, who tracks such things. Shown here is the stripped-down backside of the old Texaco Building, which is being converted into 323 luxury apartment units at 1111 Rusk. It is expected to be completed a year from now.

https://www.facebook.com/HoustonFirstCorporation/photos/a.492238024167403.110894.426238527434020/799933693397833/?type=1&theater

• Like 7

I'll tell you why. It's called low barriers of entry. It's very easy for anyone in Houston to get one of these projects off the ground, so you get a lot of B-class players. A market flooded with good and bad projects is more likely to have cancelled projects. Also, inexperienced developers are more likely to get into trouble before projects are completed.

In a city like NY or DC, you have much higher barrier of entry. Between low land availability, high prices, zoning, architectural reviews, profers, unions,etc...only top experienced developers play the game, and it's less likely that projects get cancelled.

Do you have any evidence at all that projects are canceled more frequently in Houston than in other cities?

It's very easy for anyone in Houston to get one of these projects off the ground, so you get a lot of B-class players. A market flooded with good and bad projects is more likely to have cancelled projects. Also, inexperienced developers are more likely to get into trouble before projects are completed.

NY has had its share of proposals that never got to fruition (just check SkyscraperPage). Even the WTC got into financial trouble.

What seems to get projects built is developers who have their money lined up and don't have to worry about presales or financing. That's why the Skanska project is likely to get built, whereas outfits like Peloton get stopped before they start.

For whatever reason, Manhattan is proving fertile ground for residential 1,000-footers. Houston is now getting quite a few projects that are 40 stories of residential. An economy that generates 100,000 jobs a year will support that. I'm still not seeing how Dallas can find tenants for two supertalls, but Ross Perot, Jr. is behind one of them, so it could get built (the other one is probably not going to get out of the starting gate). 

NY has had its share of proposals that never got to fruition (just check SkyscraperPage). Even the WTC got into financial trouble.

I'm still not seeing how Dallas can find tenants for two supertalls, but Ross Perot, Jr. is behind one of them, so it could get built (the other one is probably not going to get out of the starting gate). 

Every city has had its share of proposals that never came to fruition. 

There is zero reason to think that Dallas can find tenants for two supertalls.  And there are zero serious supertall proposals in Dallas.  (Ross Perot Jr. has never said he plans a supertall.)