Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

This activity could be very close to nothing (all I saw was two guys with a ladder), but I've walked by there a hundred times and only ever seen a little activity over by the crater on Capitol @ Fannin.

I'll scout it out next week and see if there is anything else going on that I can see from other sides.

• Like 1

It's happened before.

Yeah, I guess your right... To borrow a quote from one of our premier members: "So fellow Houston Architecture board members, sit back and watch Atlanta and Dallas get all these cool projects while Houston sits stagnant! Welcome to Houston, the 4th largest joke of a city in America."

• Like 4

Ee-Gads.  It calls for a covered (probably climate controlled) passageway connecting the new parking garage directly to the apartment building.  I'll just go ahead and post on behalf of H-Town Man:  This is not good urbanism.   At some point you have to force people to the sidewalks and ruffle a few feathers.

;-)

• Like 4

Ee-Gads.  It calls for a covered (probably climate controlled) passageway connecting the new parking garage directly to the apartment building.  I'll just go ahead and post on behalf of H-Town Man:  This is not good urbanism.   At some point you have to force people to the sidewalks and ruffle a few feathers.

;-)

Well, hmm, it's not a skybridge over a park/courtyard, and the environment is a little different, but...

YES!!! Finally an advocate around here!

;-)

Yes that's what you want to do when you're trying to make money on a project. Ruffle the feathers of the people who are going to give you that money.

I don't think his comment was serious. As for ruffling feathers, nobody expects developers to do this, but planners can and often do, and the designs of developers can be critiqued by the community. This is architecture discussion, not developer cheerleading.

Edited by H-Town Man

I don't think his comment was serious. As for ruffling feathers, nobody expects developers to do this, but planners can and often do, and the designs of developers can be critiqued by the community. This is architecture discussion, not developer cheerleading.

Architects have to live in the real world just like everyone else. Without customers there would be no architects.  Buildings serve a purpose. They are not put there for your convenience, they are put there for the customer.

• Like 1

Architects have to live in the real world just like everyone else. Without customers there would be no architects.  Buildings serve a purpose. They are not put there for your convenience, they are put there for the customer.

Sorry, but discussion of architecture and planning is not going to be governed by the idea that whatever brings the most customers to the developer is right. Of course customers need to be taken into consideration; no one denies that. But not every successful development benefits the fabric of the neighborhood or its longterm prospects. That's where planning and architecture comes in, and criticism is a vital part of those things.

So today I went to an architecture workshop where I saw all lot of projects that have not even been announced yet, each one labeled by the architectural firm such as gensler, kirksey, etc. I was surprised to see all the projects on thehaif renderings there too! All the renderings! I snapped this one for the Texaco Project.

6RNYIW0.jpg

• Like 2

Who hosted the workshop an was it open to the public?

No one hosted it, my sister works there, she never told me that there were architects there up until the other day. I was so impressed to see so many existing and new projects there. I saw the Astoria, Five Chasewood, Kingwood Parc, etc. As far as I know every project that we have a topic on, they have every render and floor plans. So if the 102 story tower is a real thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it would even have it there.

Edited by TowerSpotter

Who hosted the workshop an was it open to the public?

No one hosted it, my sister works there, she never told me that there were architects there up until the other day. I was so impressed to see so many existing and new projects there. I saw the Astoria, Five Chasewood, Kingwood Parc, etc. As far as I know every project that we have a topic on, they have every render and floor plans. So if the 102 story tower is a real thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it would even have it there.

So you're sitting on a gold mine and you never knew it?! :P

No more pics? No revelations of unannounced projects? You didn't search out for the 102-story? We need more details sir.

• Like 1

So you're sitting on a gold mine and you never knew it?! :pNo more pics? No revelations of unannounced projects? You didn't search out for the 102-story? We need more details sir.

No problem, I'll see if I can go next week. :) I feel like I found the "Holy Grail" of projects, lol.

No more pictures for now.

I saw some projects for San Antonio and Austin as well. There were just so many stacks of projects there. So many that there were rooms and rooms that had stacks of projects.

No problem, I'll see if I can go next week. :) I feel like I found the "Holy Grail" of projects, lol.

No more pictures for now.

I saw some projects for San Antonio and Austin as well. There were just so many stacks of projects there. So many that there were rooms and rooms that had stacks of projects.

How about the height in feet for some of these projects? Would you be able to get that?

• 4 weeks later...

There was a whole lot more activity today, too.  They had a crane there this morning which appeared to lift something onto the roof of the older building (I have a clear view of the roof of the new building, but nothing was put there), but the crane is gone now.  They also had a whole bunch of trucks parked near the RV.  Also they have a new trailer of some sort, but I didn't get close enough to see what it was.

Also, this afternoon they added some kind of lift structure (looked like what they use for window washing) on the roof of the southwest side.  I'll report back later with pictures if things get more interesting.

• Like 3

There was a whole lot more activity today, too.  They had a crane there this morning which appeared to lift something onto the roof of the older building (I have a clear view of the roof of the new building, but nothing was put there), but the crane is gone now.  They also had a whole bunch of trucks parked near the RV.  Also they have a new trailer of some sort, but I didn't get close enough to see what it was.

Also, this afternoon they added some kind of lift structure (looked like what they use for window washing) on the roof of the southwest side.  I'll report back later with pictures if things get more interesting.

Thanks. Keep us in the loop.

• Like 1

They have scaffolding on both the south and east side of the building. They have a lot of construction workers on the balconies and on the ground in the back. This one is going to be difficult to take pics of since most of the work is interior.