Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

Hmmmm... I wonder what variance they would be seeking.  Regardless, it's good to hear there is activity.

I don't think they requested a variance. Not all items on the agenda are requesting one. I think most just need basic approval.

• Like 1

I don't think they requested a variance. Not all items on the agenda are requesting one. I think most just need basic approval.

Not trying to bug you with too many questions but was it specifically for this potential new tower or was it for the renovation of the older Texaco buildings?

Not trying to bug you with too many questions but was it specifically for this potential new tower or was it for the renovation of the older Texaco buildings?

I'm not familiar enough with the site to know.

Found the link: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/drcreport.xls

see row 48

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

I'm not familiar enough with the site to know.

Found the link: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/drcreport.xls

see row 48

Cool, lots of information in there.  I didn't see anything to specify though so I guess it's for the whole block at this point (based on the plat by Jones and Carter).  

I have a lot of contacts at JC but unfortunately they are on the single family residential side...that said, I will still try to do some digging to find out what I can on this.

• Like 1

Cool, lots of information in there.  I didn't see anything to specify though so I guess it's for the whole block at this point (based on the plat by Jones and Carter).  

I have a lot of contacts at JC but unfortunately they are on the single family residential side...that said, I will still try to do some digging to find out what I can on this.

I will aswell. Got some friends at Cross Plains Tile. They did 2727 Kirby & One Park Place.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it a new condo or office space? Normally when referencing office space they refer to square feet, which they do here and in MF they reference units and floors.

Plus the architect website says it will be added to the tunnel system.

I think the new building will be office space.

Renovation and a new condo.

Where does it say anything about the proposed building? The whole article is about the renovation. I see a picture of the building along with the Texaco building but that's it. The acquisition of the land is a huge plus though.

Edited by xsatyr

Is it a new condo or office space? Normally when referencing office space they refer to square feet, which they do here and in MF they reference units and floors.

Well the article does say, "The high-rise gained an incentive through the Downtown Living Initiative program..." Another quote, "Rents will be comparable to One Park Place in downtown with its target market as the urban dweller." I just don't see anything about the proposed building.

Edited by xsatyr

It says this:

"Rents will be comparable to One Park Place in downtown with its target market as the urban dweller, Platt said."

So that is where I assumed it was going to be a condo.

Edited by TowerSpotter

It says this:

"Rents will be comparable to One Park Place in downtown with its target market as the urban dweller, Platt said."

So that is where I assumed it was going to be a condo.

Actually that means apartments. Condos are not for rent, they are for sale.

Maybe this is covering on renovating the building. It later goes on to say it will total 425,000 sf.

"“It will be in such a great location near BG Group Place and eventually the new Hines building,” Platt said of the high-rise, which will eventually total 425,000 square feet."

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1

"“It will be in such a great location near BG Group Place and eventually the new Hines building,” Platt said of the high-rise, which will eventually total 425,000 square feet."

I'm no expert, but the current buildings shouldn't add up to almost half a million square feet. However, it doesn't say "new" high rise.

We will have to wait and see!

I'm no expert, but the current buildings shouldn't add up to almost half a million square feet. However, it doesn't say "new" high rise.

We will have to wait and see!

The first image you posted seems to show a building in the middle that could be 400,000 sqf.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28162-38-story-residential-highrise-downtown-old-texaco-building-renovation/page-3#entry423728

• Like 1

I think something that the 40ksf figure may also come from something not mentioned here yet.

In the renderings, there appears to be a multi-story expansion atop both the original Texaco Building and it's annex. That appears in the HBJ article. Seems like a development of sorts from the earlier renderings from the architect.

Original

TexacoRend2_early2013.jpg

HBJ

screen-shot-2013-08-29-at-53233-pm*600.p

• Like 2