Ron4tx

1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovation

no problem h-townchris.  we are certainly happy to have your illustrations.  not to mention.. the weather has been pretty inclement.

on the page before this one, there is speculation about the tower never being built, followed by people speculating that it will be built in the future. long story short, its not under construction and no one knows when or if it will be.

• Like 1

Remind me, this is going to have an attached tower with it, correct? I am just referring to the title of this thread.

They are building the garage with the intent of building a tower on top of it..

And Howard Huge, I thought you were Monarch for a second. Heh

• Like 1

on the page before this one, there is speculation about the tower never being built, followed by people speculating that it will be built in the future. long story short, its not under construction and no one knows when or if it will be.

Pretty much describes every proposed project thread recently...

Here are a couple I took from a few blocks away on 11/22:

IMG_20141122014_zps0683f9f9.jpg

Texaco renovation plus Main cranes, from the 6 Houston Center site:

IMG_20141122006_zpse9ad630f.jpg

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 3

unbelievable nate99!  simply incredible illustrations.  if i have stated it once, i shall state it again... there must be some serious finances behind this particular development.  $$$$

• Like 1

Whoa.

Did you take this???

Yep. Sometimes the iPhone programming does great things, other times it looks like I took a picture of the inside of my pocket.

Yep. Sometimes the iPhone programming does great things, other times it looks like I took a picture of the inside of my pocket.

It looks like a pic of Manhattan

@ Howard Huge. the namesake of your profile picture is in intensive care following major heart surgery. Hopefully he comes out of it well. just an FYI

For future reference, state of the renovation as of January 1st, 2015. 

15544182934_de60e35bf3_z.jpg

16164595891_c8bd30577c_z.jpg

15546766753_eaaa56ec6c_z.jpg

• Like 6

They've had a tree on the roof of the newer Texaco tower for a while now.  At first I thought it was to indicate that something was topped out (strange since it's been topped out for the better part of a century!), but after seeing the tinsel on it, it may well have just been a Christmas tree!  Click for a wider view:

tn6OK7Xl.jpg

Also, I've noticed this last week they've had a whole lot of activity on the roof.  First they finally replaced the brick on the corner of the mechanical penthouse that had been removed months ago, then they were removing a lot of large objects (part of the elevator mechanicals maybe?) from it with the crane, and now they have a bunch of guys on top of the mechanical penthouse removing a lot of debris.

• Like 5

They've had a tree on the roof of the newer Texaco tower for a while now.  At first I thought it was to indicate that something was topped out (strange since it's been topped out for the better part of a century!), but after seeing the tinsel on it, it may well have just been a Christmas tree!  Click for a wider view:

tn6OK7Xl.jpg

Also, I've noticed this last week they've had a whole lot of activity on the roof.  First they finally replaced the brick on the corner of the mechanical penthouse that had been removed months ago, then they were removing a lot of large objects (part of the elevator mechanicals maybe?) from it with the crane, and now they have a bunch of guys on top of the mechanical penthouse removing a lot of debris.

Well considering the other native grasses popping up, I think this may just be their veiled attempt at getting LEED certified. Although, that is one of the saddest looking green roofs I've ever seen.

• Like 5

Are they still going to build a new tower to the north after the renovation?

That's the multi-million dollar question.

That's the multi-million dollar question.

In any case, I'm just glad to see they are improving the north facade ... it was really ugly.  Now, I think it will look quite nice.  At least until it gets blocked by the north tower :-)

• Like 1

They've been adding cladding to the back for a couple of days now. I'll try to get a picture later today. 

x4mb0k.jpg

• Like 7

What the hell you talking ab triton?

Don't get me wrong... I am really glad this renovation is going on. Just not a fan of the Cougar Village look:

DSC_9475_working.jpg

15790500244_4fce409014_b.jpg

• Like 1

I don't see it? The windows at Cougar Village make it look like a prison or something. Texaco looks like an old school high rise with punched out windows.

Edit. Ohhh.. I'm on my phone. That tiny strip/row of windows facing the inside?

Edited by cloud713

Don't get me wrong... I am really glad this renovation is going on. Just not a fan of the Cougar Village look:

DSC_9475_working.jpg

15790500244_4fce409014_b.jpg

Come on Marc, its not gonna look like that when they cover that insulation and cladding with brick to match the other 3 walls. :lol:
  • Like 7