Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

Even if MMP was not in this shot you couldn't see the old Texaco Building. You'd have to be in the nose bleeds on the far right to get better skyline. Can't see Snickers from the dugout.

Lol that's the view I was referring too. You can even see the top of Hess Tower from there. It's actually a pretty cool spot to chill during a 2-17 route.

imag0135bx.jpg

Edited by xsatyr
  • Like 2

In the rendering on Swamplot, clearly that is Downtown Atlanta in the background. Was this building proposed for that location or one like it?

People who create these renderings do weird things all the time. I've seen renderings where downtown is completely flipped around and pushed several miles northward (A rendering for an apartment building in the Woodland Heights). Hell, I believe even GMC had a commercial with a massive lake next to downtown and the SUV was hauling a boat out of the lake. WHAT?!?!

i19wso.jpg

2qwlu9c.jpg

Found these when I was Image searching on Bing "New Houston Tower" I believe. Sorry I don't have a link...

I'm not a big fan if this is a serious proposal.  Would it not be difficult to make the economics work on a (presumably residential) tower that only covers a quarter of the block? 

If I had my druthers the development would be oriented to San Jacinto. The facade of the original building is so nice I hate to see it juxtaposed with the parking garage. 

Also, subjectively, the tower is a bit ugly and the whole thing seems somewhat a mishmash.

I'm not a big fan if this is a serious proposal.  Would it not be difficult to make the economics work on a (presumably residential) tower that only covers a quarter of the block? 

If I had my druthers the development would be oriented to San Jacinto. The facade of the original building is so nice I hate to see it juxtaposed with the parking garage. 

Also, subjectively, the tower is a bit ugly and the whole thing seems somewhat a mishmash.

Well I'd imagine all the buildings on the block would be residential. The Garage is something I can look over if they have ground retail, and if it helps bring these two historic buildings back into use and not the wrecking ball. I would prefer an inclosed garage covered in glass, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything unfolds.

Why on earth did they not face center field southwest?

Because that's the opposite direction of the way a baseball stadium is supposed to face. If a ballpark has a southwest orientation,then the batter is looking into the sun in the early evening.

"It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East Northeast." - Official Baseball Rules, section 1.04.

Minute Maid Park is actually the only park in MLB where the plate-2nd base line actually does face slightly westerly. It runs just slightly west of North.

• Like 2

A swamplot commenter said he has knowledge of this project and pretty much guarantees it will happen

Although I'm no fan of that rendering, I sure hope that is the case.  It is pretty amazing if you think about it.  After literally decades of vacancy or near-vacancy, in a short time we're seeing redevelopment of

- Texaco Building

- Central Square

- Savoy Hotel

- 806 Main

Not to mention the Magnolia Hotel and Guest Quarters a few years back.

Although still vacant downtown:

- Holiday Inn

- Melrose Building

- Sterling Building

Because that's the opposite direction of the way a baseball stadium is supposed to face. If a ballpark has a southwest orientation,then the batter is looking into the sun in the early evening.

"It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East Northeast." - Official Baseball Rules, section 1.04.

Minute Maid Park is actually the only park in MLB where the plate-2nd base line actually does face slightly westerly. It runs just slightly west of North.

It would have been nice if they could have swapped the locations of MMP and Toyota Center.  Oh well, at least this way, the cheap seats get something the expensive seats don't...  ;-)

The website says Houston

Since we are dealing with an Apartment Building (no pre-leases, no sales) they probably only need to produce a rendering good enough to secure the construction loan from the bank.

The Architecture Firm is probably in Atlanta and  they just threw in an urban setting to get the point across.

No compare this rendering to the Speculative office towers which NEED a significant pre-lease guarantee before they break ground. A large part of that early budget is geared towards getting the marketing information correct and making it competitive. An Apartment developer does not need a pretty rendering if they don't want to produce one.

• Like 2

Since we are dealing with an Apartment Building (no pre-leases, no sales) they probably only need to produce a rendering good enough to secure the construction loan from the bank.

The Architecture Firm is probably in Atlanta and they just threw in an urban setting to get the point across.

No compare this rendering to the Speculative office towers which NEED a significant pre-lease guarantee before they break ground. A large part of that early budget is geared towards getting the marketing information correct and making it competitive. An Apartment developer does not need a pretty rendering if they don't want to produce one.

Lol good point!

They also probably need to convince the demand is there and promise a healthy ROI and they're set

• Like 1

I like it. I'd like more if it were going to be built on a block that would make the downtown skyline look bigger from some direction. I don't think this is going to stand out very much at that location. Infill's always a +.

It will def stand out coming from 59 and viewing from EaDo.

Wow.. just wow. Is anyone else realizing the amount of construction that could potentially be going on near Capitol St in a few years?

So say you start driving from 59 down Capitol. You'll have the Cultural Heritage site first. Then once you approach San Jacinto, you'll have this 38-story residential highrise, then you go just one more block over to Main and you'll have the Hines tower, and then two blocks later you'll have the Capitol Tower. I guess it's just me but I'm kinda blown away by all of this.

• Like 1

Wow.. just wow. Is anyone else realizing the amount of construction that could potentially be going on near Capitol St in a few years?

So say you start driving from 59 down Capitol. You'll have the Cultural Heritage site first. Then once you approach San Jacinto, you'll have this 38-story residential highrise, then you go just one more block over to Main and you'll have the Hines tower, and then two blocks later you'll have the Capitol Tower. I guess it's just me but I'm kinda blown away by all of this.

Me too...I hope it all gets built.

• Like 1