Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

this is probably mentioned elsewhere, but won't many of those new windows (covered in light blue/turquoise) eventually be staring right at a parking garage and/or new tower?  Am I missing something?

yeah, but would you rather have windows or no windows? Not being mean, but just think about it. Not to mention if they were going to fill these areas with living space then they would need to provide the proper daylight and views for the space. Better windows than no windows at all. You have this kind of condition in many packed in cities. If you look at the rendering for the new building it isn't like they will be staring right into a blank wall, but instead a towering building made of glass. The building will also not be right up against it but will probably have a generous setback from the original building once it reaches those windows.

yeah, but would you rather have windows or no windows? Not being mean, but just think about it. Not to mention if they were going to fill these areas with living space then they would need to provide the proper daylight and views for the space. Better windows than no windows at all. You have this kind of condition in many packed in cities. If you look at the rendering for the new building it isn't like they will be staring right into a blank wall, but instead a towering building made of glass. The building will also not be right up against it but will probably have a generous setback from the original building once it reaches those windows.

Also the windows looking at the towering building of glass will have a better view than the Skyhouse windows' view of the side of a parking garage

• Like 1

Wish they kept the glass corner but I agree... I have high hopes for this development.

2qwlu9c.jpg

It looks like from this rendering from a while ago that the windows will have the multiple panes like the horror they have up right now, but it looks like they are filling up the whole frame, not inset

• 2 weeks later...

The SunTrust Plaza replica in the background over by the ballpark would be cool.

I never had much hope of the high rise portion going any time soon. Whatever was said about it seemed very qualified in my recollection.  This iteration does not offend me. Looks like there will be room for retail or whatever on the Capitol side of the garage.  Being rid of that hole will be a huge upgrade.

• Like 1

they have tamed the beast.. or so to speak!  this new rendition / concept, seems a bit more realistic.  i am quite curious as to what their overall plan is for the exterior finishes?  quite an ambitious parking garage, hyper revenue anyone $$$$....

The project includes ground-level retail and structured parking for 750 cars.

Either they are filling the building in with a lot more units than expected, or this garage is built for a future tower.  Maybe they were inspired by the 16 story parking garage that just went up on Louisiana 

Any estimates on how many units they might be dividing this up into?

Demoted out of  "going up". Ouch.

I'm interested to see when they will start foundation prep for the garage/podium of hopes and dreams.  I'd presume that it would have to take shape like the Skanska Capitol Tower/Garage is currently and that we might get some clues as to the future expandability by the foundation design.

I haven't kept up with any timelines, but this project seems to be a long way from being open for residents.

According to the latest development map (April 2015)

1111 Rusk - Redevelopment of the old Texaco Building into 323 residential units. Est. completion 4Q 2015.

Probably got demoted because the tower is no longer going up in this cycle, and the main building is there.  And remember that parking garages can go up fast