Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

Triton:

These. Are great images, thanks! I must admit though, I really don't understand what this building is going to look like when it's done. If will be fun to see it take shape. That big ugly wall remains and they are tearing out the brick on a seemingly nice facade. Hmmmmm

Yeah, I wonder what's wrong with the brick.

Triton:

These. Are great images, thanks! I must admit though, I really don't understand what this building is going to look like when it's done. If will be fun to see it take shape. That big ugly wall remains and they are tearing out the brick on a seemingly nice facade. Hmmmmm

Here is the rendering we have seen.  Note that it shows the "big ugly wall" will become a wall of regularly-spaced apartment windows (at least as far as we can see).

mZKs31lh.jpg

Yeah, I wonder what's wrong with the brick.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the brick.  The plan has always been to essentially fill in this notch in the building with new construction.  Presumably, the floors will be extended into the new portion of the structure.  See rendering:

yRi3EA7l.jpg

So, they are going to put windows in that ugly wall? Terrific! That is until they will stare across a 12'-ish alley into a new building's Livingroom. Seriously? What's the point? Maybe the residents can pass flour back and forth and string some cloths lines to dry laundry.

I am just really not understanding how that new tower will relate to the existing building.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I agree throwing up a tower their makes no sense..it would block alot of people view..if they want a tower apt..thier is still plenty of available space in the incentives zone.. That area would be better as a pocket park

I agree throwing up a tower their makes no sense..it would block alot of people view..if they want a tower apt..thier is still plenty of available space in the incentives zone.. That area would be better as a pocket park

It's odd how many people on this forum don't seem to have much of a clue about dense urban development or urban living. Not every window is going to provide an unobstructed view to the horizon; or even to the edge of downtown.

arrogant statement..those places are designed like that due to lack of space not by design...if you can sell apts on a great views their going to highlight that aspect.

arrogant statement..those places are designed like that due to lack of space not by design...if you can sell apts on a great views their going to highlight that aspect.

Ignorant statement ...  ;-)       Those places are designed  like that ... not by design?   And this place is designed like it is to fit on the space they have.  Like I said, in an urban environment, not every window in every apartment is going to offer an unobstructed view.  It's ridiculous to expect such a thing.   Clearly, you will not be the target market for such apartments, but it's rather arrogant to proclaim that, therefore, the developer should have made this a pocket park.

Ignorant statement ... ;-) Those places are designed like that ... not by design? And this place is designed like it is to fit on the space they have. Like I said, in an urban environment, not every window in every apartment is going to offer an unobstructed view. It's ridiculous to expect such a thing. Clearly, you will not be the target market for such apartments, but it's rather arrogant to proclaim that, therefore, the developer should have made this a pocket park.

the arrogant part was the statement that people don't understand urban design simply because they disagree with you about the use of a space..Like I said most compact design are space related..NYC, Hong Kong, etc.. If you can avoid blocking whole units views most companies will go that route..hence it not a matter of available space..given Houston more than available
  • Like 1

We already know something will be built there, so it couldn't be a pocket park.  The initial phase of the project still has a garage of around 6-7 stories (so about a third of the height of the building being renovated) going in that place.  There will be a pad on the top of the garage where the highrise could potentially be built.

Lol these comments about the windows of this building are hilarious..... hilariously sad -.-

seriously... what was the developer supposed to do here? buy yet another lot for the high rise phase of the project even though they already had a perfectly suitable lot?? this is how urban development works. to think otherwise is ignorant.

• Like 2

seriously... what was the developer supposed to do here? buy yet another lot for the high rise phase of the project even though they already had a perfectly suitable lot?? this is how urban development works. to think otherwise is ignorant.

Don't let the uninitiated ruffle your feathers :P I just ignore it, or I laugh lol. Take your pick man. They both work.

Edited by Luminare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is true, however I'm just happy that someone is making such a fine effort to repurpose this grand old building and taking it off the vacant and boarded up list. Lets at least rejoice in this improvement and then down the line they can come back and build the tower if and when it is financially feasible. Hopefully sooner than never.

• Like 1

Come on people...this pessimism is really annoying -.- How do you even expect them to build the tower when they are still in the beginning stages of the renovation portion? Lets use some common sense and also a little less "oh woe is us" junk.

• Like 2