Rail To Uptown In Time For The Super Bowl?

shasta

I know the University Line and the Uptown Line were dealt major blows late last year and earlier this year but could the Super Bowl help?

Many visitors will flock to the city and a large number will venture to Uptown but as the All Star Game fiasco pointed out, Houston does not have an infrastructure in place to handle large number of people in Uptown. 'People Movers' are desperately needed in urban areas like this, to easy get large amount of people to an d from dense parts of the city. Without something in place I feel we will have to really aim to center the activities around downtown. The Uptown situation could make the All Star mishap look like a blimp on the radar and 'No' the current mobility plan that they are proposing will not cut it.

With the February 2017 Super Bowl Bid secured, is it possible that the city reconsiders their approach to the traffic congestion problem in Uptown?

If so what is the latest they can start construction and be able to have it completed by February 2017? Let's say the go back to the drawing board now, secure funding sources, and start construction no later than January 1, 2015. Could they finish it in twenty five months?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red,

It needs to be updated, not just for Super Bowl, but for all of us that live here. But, lets do it before the SB. It's a good goal...don't you think?

I think a BRT down Memorial to Uptown BRT, would make sense...and could utilize the Post Oak BRT stops/system. Quickest connection between DT and Galleria that I can think of. Could be completed by 2017 too.

For one event? I could not disagree more.

Exactly. What it requires is a little organization and planning (i.e. let's not have a bunch of events/autograph sessions/whatever at the same time in the same place, a la the All-Star weekend.) Distribute the events and maybe lease some buses to circulate between venues and park and ride lots. The rodeo estimated 2013 total attendance at 2.5 million with a single day attendance of almost 175k. They do that every year without major disruptions or need for millions in additional infrastructure. I think we can handle the Super Bowl.

Exactly. What it requires is a little organization and planning (i.e. let's not have a bunch of events/autograph sessions/whatever at the same time in the same place, a la the All-Star weekend.) Distribute the events and maybe lease some buses to circulate between venues and park and ride lots. The rodeo estimated 2013 total attendance at 2.5 million with a single day attendance of almost 175k. They do that every year without major disruptions or need for millions in additional infrastructure. I think we can handle the Super Bowl.

I certainly still support the U-Line and Uptown Line, but fiscal realities may still have that postponed for the superbowl.

However, the rodeo really isn't a comparable event. The Superbowl may have 100K (please correct me if I am wrong) as the stadium will seat 70-80K plus extra for events around the stadium. I would imagine a far greater amount will be in places like Downtown, Uptown, Midtown, and Washington Ave (maybe east end comes alive?). 

Therefore, I agree that a temporary solution should involve express bus. We could run it down Memorial like someone mentioned or downtown via 59 to wheeler (could add a kirby ave stop as that area seems booming).

I think the bigger question is what kind of scene we will have down the Main St line. Midtown will (hopefully) have filled many of the large gaps alongside the rail as land finally started becoming scare and downtown after the residential incentives and hotels. I think we can agree a few more projects will be announced in these areas from what we know now and in between. Good God, we may have a true transit oriented part of town and it will only have taken 16 and some odd years....

I doubt they finish the BRT in Uptown before 2017, let alone building rail.  Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

I dunno..... it could be done in time. 

However, the rodeo really isn't a comparable event. The Superbowl may have 100K (please correct me if I am wrong) as the stadium will seat 70-80K plus extra for events around the stadium. I would imagine a far greater amount will be in places like Downtown, Uptown, Midtown, and Washington Ave (maybe east end comes alive?)

Estimated attendance at the 2013 Super Bowl was 133k. The Rodeo did 175k on it's largest day. That was just one day out of about 3 weeks worth that added up to 2.5 million. And they do that year after year. Just takes a little organization and planning. Super Bowl should be no big deal.

Estimated attendance at the 2013 Super Bowl was 133k. The Rodeo did 175k on it's largest day. That was just one day out of about 3 weeks worth that added up to 2.5 million. And they do that year after year. Just takes a little organization and planning. Super Bowl should be no big deal.

But do all of the hotels fill up around Houston for the Rodeo? Nope. It's no where near the SB. It's mostly Houstonians all going to one spot (Reliant). The SB has many more people from out of town that fill up our hotel rooms and go hang out in Uptown, Washington, Downtown, and some will probably end up on Richmond too.

Super Bowl is not Rodeo. Largely, SB will be made up of Out-of-towners, with lots of money to spend, who will shop, eat drink, entertain and checkout the city. Not people coming to Reliant Park from the Suburbs for the evening. SB is a whole weekend, throughout the city...and not just a ball game at Reliant. It will be a "Charlie Foxtrot" anyway, and the press will talk about it, but lets just hope they don't talk about how poorly prepared we are. It'd be nice, and appropriate if the city is prepared. Aside from all the money that will be spent here, Houston has a lot to gain. No, it's not like Clint Black Day at the Rodeo...at all.

OTC might be a better comparison. OTC drew 105,000 this year and filled pretty much every hotel in the city in the process and the city is able to cope with it every year without disruptions. If we can deal with the traffic that creates during the work week, I don't see why the Super Bowl should be such a huge disruption on a weekend.

That strategy hasn't worked, sorry.

That's one perspective.  Houston has one of the strongest, if not the strongest, economies in the country.  It's one of the fastest growing cities in population growth and it's receiving an increasing amount of recognition as an emerging world city.  There are certainly things that could be better, but I think that there's a pretty strong argument that Houston has made more progress in the last ten years or so than any city in the US.

Olympics beg to disagree. At the end of the day it's for the benefit of us, the people that actually live here.

??

The Olympics have been terrible for many cities that hosted it, leaving them with a legacy of debt and useless facilities that can't be transitioned into something usable again. I will fight tooth and nail to keep the Olympics out of Houston.

OTC does sound like a better comparison (wasn't NRA going on at the same time?)

Houston has plenty of big event experience, and our last Super Bowl no doubt will benefit us this time through. As long as they don't take anything for granted, they can handle this easily.

OTC does sound like a better comparison (wasn't NRA going on at the same time?)

Houston has plenty of big event experience, and our last Super Bowl no doubt will benefit us this time through. As long as they don't take anything for granted, they can handle this easily.

You're right.  There was overlap with NRA and NRA had a reported attendance of 85k which means that OTC and NRA had a combined attendance of 190k and the city dealt with that just fine.  Highly unlikely that the Super Bowl will draw that many people.

The Galleria incident on NBA All-Star Weekend was just poor planning.  It had nothing to do with transit capabilities.

OTC is a better comp than Rodeo, I think. Actually, if you combined them, it'd be better. Aside from the the out of town attendees, the locals will be rushing to area's of town, celeb spotting...The radio, Twitter and all forms of social media will be star spotting/reporting. Unavoidable crushes. But...it's not something that happens at OTC. Not much public transit can do to avoid this...but moving those not in private vehicles...it will.

Oh god. Just hit me. Kardashians. Can we rethink our bid!?

OTC is a better comp than Rodeo, I think. Actually, if you combined them, it'd be better. Aside from the the out of town attendees, the locals will be rushing to area's of town, celeb spotting...The radio, Twitter and all forms of social media will be star spotting/reporting. Unavoidable crushes. But...it's not something that happens at OTC. Not much public transit can do to avoid this...but moving those not in private vehicles...it will.

Oh god. Just hit me. Kardashians. Can we rethink our bid!?

Yes, OTC is probably better due to the hotel angle. Still, it's the planning that will be the key. If they can identify the hot spots and set up circulators to connect those and temp park-and-ride locations then a lot of visitors could either drive to the park-and-rides or be dropped off by hotel shuttles.

That's one perspective.  Houston has one of the strongest, if not the strongest, economies in the country.  It's one of the fastest growing cities in population growth and it's receiving an increasing amount of recognition as an emerging world city.  There are certainly things that could be better, but I think that there's a pretty strong argument that Houston has made more progress in the last ten years or so than any city in the US.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Houston has the worst public transit system of any large city in North America. And it's due to the citizens and politicians.

??

The Olympics have been terrible for many cities that hosted it, leaving them with a legacy of debt and useless facilities that can't be transitioned into something usable again. I will fight tooth and nail to keep the Olympics out of Houston.

They've also left tremendous public transportation upgrades for the cities that hosted them. Atlanta, Sydney, Athens, Vancouver, etc.

Yes, OTC is probably better due to the hotel angle. Still, it's the planning that will be the key. If they can identify the hot spots and set up circulators to connect those and temp park-and-ride locations then a lot of visitors could either drive to the park-and-rides or be dropped off by hotel shuttles.

You're right, let's just do nothing, like we have for the last 30 years. We're Houston and we know what's best, the rest of the world is just stupid.

Houston has the worst public transit system of any large city in North America. And it's due to the citizens and politicians.

It has everything to do with what your saying.  Public transit has a cost and it has a value.  Houston has assigned a low value to transit and has chosen to spend its money in other areas.  It is excelling economically well above cities that have assigned a high value to public transit at the cost of other things.  I think that it's very much open to discussion whether Houston is choosing a wiser path.

They've also left tremendous public transportation upgrades for the cities that hosted them. Atlanta, Sydney, Athens, Vancouver, etc.

You're right, let's just do nothing, like we have for the last 30 years. We're Houston and we know what's best, the rest of the world is just stupid.

I can't speak for Sydney, Athens or Vancouver, but I was living in Atlanta during the Olympics in 1996 and there were no significant public transit upgrades other than adding HOV lanes. Having lived in Atlanta during the 90's I can also tell you Houston's bus system is far, far better than what they had in Atlanta.

Given Houston's track record for growth, there's a good chance some of the things they do elsewhere are stupid. I'm not advocating we do nothing. I'm just not fixated on trains as the solution for every transit problem.

Archived