Poll of residents puts Houston on list of least-safe U.S. cities

Poll of residents puts Houston on list of least-safe U.S. cities
By Craig Hlavaty, Houston Chronicle | May 13, 2013 | Updated: May 13, 2013 5:05pm

A recent Gallup poll names the Houston, Sugar Land, and Baytown region among the least safe U.S. metro areas, according to resident confidence in the safety of where they live.

Only 63 percent of those polled in the Houston area responded that they felt safe walking alone at night in the area they reside.

The poll measured the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S. for self-reported feelings of security.

Compare that to the 80 percent in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area who feel totally secure walking after dark.

Texans might scoff that with frigid Minnesota temperatures, criminals would be stymied to commit violent acts in five layers of clothing. Houston must have crime-friendly weather, for the most part.

Only 55 percent of Memphis residents said they had high levels of personal security while walking in the  "Barbecued Pork Capital of the World", where rock and roll was born.

On the upper end of safe cities, 78 percent of those polled in Denver responded that they were safe, and those living in Austin and Round Rock were 77 percent satisfied with the safety of their cities.

Jacksonville, Fla. (63%), Riverside, Calif. (61%), and New Orleans (59%) round out the least-safe metro areas in the poll.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/How-safe-do-you-feel-in-Houston-4511518.php

And then, on the same day.

Three Houston suburbs named best for young families By Craig Hlavaty, Houston Chronicle | May 16, 2013 | Updated: May 16, 2013 4:19pm 

Financial website NerdWallet made a list of the best Texas cities for young families, and three Houston suburbs made the cut, with The Woodlands taking the top spot.

The site looked at the school districts, affordability, and growth opportunity of each city in determining what would be best for families looking to settle in a Houston 'burb.

The Woodlands is the No. 1 city for young families due to an exemplary school system, the influx of corporate campuses, and ever-growing population. 

League City and Pearland came in fourth and fifth in the Top 10 list.

League City's location to the Gulf, home prices, and family-friendly entertainment options clinched it.

The once "sleepy" community of Pearland was touted for diversity, rapid growth, and a award-winning school district, which continues to expand.  There is said to be 62 languages spoken in Pearland public schools.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Three-Houston-suburbs-named-best-for-young-4523258.php?cmpid=hpfsln

While I don't agree with this poll... perhaps Houstonians would feel safer if the city decided to have HPD actually patrol neighborhoods instead of setting up speed traps? I always grew frustrated seeing several HPD cars looking for speeders along West Gray instead of patrolling Montrose/Midtown. I could care less if it burns more gas.

Actually, people would feel safer if they stopped watching television designed to scare them, such as Channel 2 and Fox News. The poll is asking for perceptions, not facts. The fact is that crime in Houston is DOWN approximately 2/3 from 30 years ago. A poll such as this bothers me not in the least. I do feel a little bit sorry for the "armageddon" predictors who are afraid to leave their homes, though. 

Archived