San Felipe Place: Office Building At 2229 San Felipe St.

It's interesting how some buildings seem to go up extremely fast (this one, Sky House), while others are so slow (Sovereign, etc). I guess they're trying to get this one up quickly because of the possible lawsuit, and Sky House is fast because they build the same design over and over, but you'd think that if building this quickly was possible it would be beneficial for all construction to happen at a similar pace in order to deliver sooner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Harris County District Clerk's Website, Gilbane Building Company was served in the lawsuit relating to this building on March 31, 2014. Their answer was due yesterday (although an image of it is not yet posted online). A hearing on a temporary injunction in this matter might now occur, although I am hopeful that continued construction will take some of the wind out of the Plaintiffs' sails. The denial of the TRO back in February was a big boost to Hines.

I apologize for the formality, but this is my first post. I love the information on this site!

• Like 6

Well, a quick construction schedule is one way to head off a temporary injunction. Change what's defined as the "status quo" and the chances of a temporary injunction should go down dramatically. 

I'd think the Plaintiffs will need to get a hearing on a T.I. in short order if they hope to have any change to actually stop construction. Unlike the "Ashby High Rise," this property has not remained a fallow field.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots of activity this side of River Oaks. I just signed a lease at an apartment on Mimosa lane; the day it started, I was given notice to move out by the end of November! 

It would be nice if the developers building in this area could put a few clams towards fixing the damage they cause to the side streets; I don't understand the point of paying millions for property only to have to dodge potholes that could swallow a Smart car.

I'll see if I can post some pictures of the goings-on.

• Like 2

Lots of activity this side of River Oaks. I just signed a lease at an apartment on Mimosa lane; the day it started, I was given notice to move out by the end of November!

Your apartments look like a good place for townhomes.

• Like 1

As opposed to Apartments or a tower which seem less than ideal for this spot

Well, let's take a look:

YJrYkuF.jpg

The properties at 2115 Argonne (13,500 sq ft) and 2415 Mimosa (32,000 sq ft) are owned by the same entity and are both being vacated by December 1. The letter to the residents at 2415 stated that the property had reached end-of-life and would be redeveloped, but did not say how. 

The combined lots are actually larger than 2229 San Felipe (36,200 sq ft), but I agree that the odd shape makes an unlikely candidate for a high-rise. I expect that some sort of "Chateau Twenty" will eventually loom over the properties on Avalon Place, and perhaps more interestingly (for the sake of neighborhood drama), block the downtown views of the lowest few floors of the Huntingdon. 

The HCAD map facets label these properties as Dickey West Park and Meyers Court, respectively, so I believe they're outside of Avalon Place and would not be subject to the latter's height restrictions (if any). Does anybody have more information?

Edited by rodface