Houston City Council approves safe-passing ordinance

Houston City Council approves safe-passing ordinance

Ordinance designed to protect 'vulnerable road users'

HOUSTON -

The Houston City Council on Wednesday approved a safe-passing ordinance aimed at protecting bicyclists and other vulnerable road users.

The ordinance requires drivers to keep a minimum of three feet between their vehicle and those vulnerable road users. Motorists also:

Cannot overtake and turn in front of a vulnerable road user unless it's safe.

Cannot maneuver their vehicle to intimidate or harass someone.

May not throw any object or substance at or against the vulnerable road user.

Vulnerable road users are defined as a walkers or runners; the physically disabled, such as someone in a wheelchair; a stranded motorist or passengers; highway construction, utility or maintenance workers; tow truck operators; cyclists; moped, motor-driven cycle and scooter drivers; or horseback riders.

Mayor Annise Parker said more than 600 tickets have been issued to bicyclists who don't follow traffic laws.

“As a city, we need to protect everyone and anyone who uses our roads,” said Parker. “This ordinance will make our city even more attractive to those who want to enjoy traveling in forms other than by car.”

“BikeHouston is pleased to see this ordinance pass and proud of the Mayor’s continued efforts on helping Houston become a more bicycle-friendly city,” says Kathryn Baumeister, Chair of BikeHouston. “Houston is a city of cars, but also has a big population of people who rely on cycling for transportation and recreation. We feel it is important for cyclists and drivers of automobiles to respect one another on the road. This ordinance will help provide a measure of safety for the vulnerable road users.”

Drivers who violate the ordinance will face a $500 fine. A similar law was passed statewide in 2009 but was vetoed by Gov. Rick Perry.

This takes effect today.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-city-council-approves-safepassing-ordinance/-/1735978/20063784/-/5y40s0/-/index.html

This is welcomed news for the city of Houston, and something that is sorely needed.  But even with the ordinance, our roads are still far from "safe" until we actually get them rebuilt.  Too many potholes, cracks and drop-offs! 

I know a bunch of people in my Critical Mass group who were definitely excited about this. Now let's just see if the bikers will obey the law. (They won't).

No worries, the ordinance provides no protection for a cyclist breaking a law.

unless a cyclist rides in the debris right next to the curb, it's gonna be tough to maintain 3 ft  in those places where COH shoehorned in a bike lane where the street is not really wide enough to accomodate one.

still some regulation is better than no regulation at all.

unless a cyclist rides in the debris right next to the curb, it's gonna be tough to maintain 3 ft  in those places where COH shoehorned in a bike lane where the street is not really wide enough to accomodate one.

It's not tough. Just change lanes, or if not possible, follow behind.

Vulnerable road users are defined as a walkers or runners; the physically disabled, such as someone in a wheelchair; a stranded motorist or passengers; highway construction, utility or maintenance workers; tow truck operators; cyclists; moped, motor-driven cycle and scooter drivers; or horseback riders.

Finally I can ride my horse to work without worry. 

Really? Follow behind a bicycle?

Yes, really. If there is not space to pass safely (determined by ordinance as 3 feet), follow behind. If you don't like traveling on that road, turn off at the first opportunity and take another.

It's been state law now for quite a while that a bicycle has all the rights and responsibilities of a motor vehicle. Bicyclists can take the whole lane if they want. It's just that most recognize the reality of physics when it comes to collisions and most are also polite enough to not want to unnecessarily block traffic. But, they can make you follow behind if they really want to.

It's been state law now for quite a while that a bicycle has all the rights and responsibilities of a motor vehicle. Bicyclists can take the whole lane if they want. It's just that most recognize the reality of physics when it comes to collisions and most are also polite enough to not want to unnecessarily block traffic. But, they can make you follow behind if they really want to.

not exactly...

Sec. 551.103.  OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b ), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(1)  the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;

(2)  the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway;

(3)  a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the roadway; or

(4)  the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:

(A)  less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or

(B )  too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.

(b )  A person operating a bicycle on a one-way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near as practicable to the left curb or edge of the roadway.

©  Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

Yep... It requires the drivers to actually pay attention to the road, instead of their phone, or their food.  It will even occasionally require the removal of the lead foot.  Houstonians drive too damn FAST on city streets anyway.  They're not freeways!!! 

Yep... It requires the drivers to actually pay attention to the road, instead of their phone, or their food. It will even occasionally require the removal of the lead foot. Houstonians drive too damn FAST on city streets anyway. They're not freeways!!!

So let's all go at 10 mph and follow behind bicycles (.....or just move over). I love the assumptions you and other posters made about my post.

What exactly are you suggesting as an alternative?

Driving less than 3ft from a cyclist is *not* safe, and it is an extremely unpleasant experience for the cyclist. 

So let's all go at 10 mph and follow behind bicycles (.....or just move over). I love the assumptions you and other posters made about my post.

What exactly are you suggesting as an alternative?

Driving less than 3ft from a cyclist is *not* safe, and it is an extremely unpleasant experience for the cyclist.

I wasn't suggesting an alternative besides just moving over. I just don't know anyone who follows behind bicycle riders. If you have the patience to follow behind someone on a bike more power to you.

While I applaud the city's move on this, I'm not sure it's really going to have a proactive effect on cyclist safety. You'd need a really strong PR campaign behind it to have an impact. Three feet is just over an arms length for me and that's way too close for comfort. Primarily, this will give HPD additional basis for tickets after an incident occurs.

I wasn't suggesting an alternative besides just moving over. I just don't know anyone who follows behind bicycle riders. If you have the patience to follow behind someone on a bike more power to you.

Come watch me ride on Main Street and you'll see some people who have no choice. Cars should be banned on Main Street downtown.

While I applaud the city's move on this, I'm not sure it's really going to have a proactive effect on cyclist safety. You'd need a really strong PR campaign behind it to have an impact. Three feet is just over an arms length for me and that's way too close for comfort. Primarily, this will give HPD additional basis for tickets after an incident occurs.

Yes, especially since right now you can kill someone and they can't find a charge to put on you. http://www.khou.com/news/local/Police-identify-woman-killed-in-auto-pedestrian-accident-194530351.html

Come watch me ride on Main Street and you'll see some people who have no choice. Cars should be banned on Main Street downtown.

Main Street's width has been reduced by light rail. If Main Street is dangerous for biking why not ride on the wider streets east & west of it?

As the City's bicycle trail building spree fuels an explosion of cyclists in the city, you will see drivers organically begin to give cyclists room. I have watched the number of aggressive drivers steadily shrink over the last 15 years or so. Whereas in the 90s and early 2000s, you would see drivers running cyclists off the road, these days, the more common scenario is the tragic accident by inattentive drivers as depicted in kylejack's link. That is a huge change in behavior from intentional aggression to accidents. It will continue as more cyclists take to the streets. It mirrors the change in attitudes toward minority groups over time. As public acceptance towards a group grows, bias against the group is frowned upon.

We are slowly getting there. Those of us who have been here for 30 years or more can really see the difference, both in the behavior of Houstonians, and the perception of Houston by others.

Main Street's width has been reduced by light rail. If Main Street is dangerous for biking why not ride on the wider streets east & west of it?

I live on Main Street and feel I should be able to ride my bike on the street I live on. It's kinda useless for cars anyway. No left turns, and Main Street Square prevents passing through.

As the City's bicycle trail building spree fuels an explosion of cyclists in the city, you will see drivers organically begin to give cyclists room. I have watched the number of aggressive drivers steadily shrink over the last 15 years or so. Whereas in the 90s and early 2000s, you would see drivers running cyclists off the road, these days, the more common scenario is the tragic accident by inattentive drivers as depicted in kylejack's link. That is a huge change in behavior from intentional aggression to accidents. It will continue as more cyclists take to the streets. It mirrors the change in attitudes toward minority groups over time. As public acceptance towards a group grows, bias against the group is frowned upon.

We are slowly getting there. Those of us who have been here for 30 years or more can really see the difference, both in the behavior of Houstonians, and the perception of Houston by others.

Very true. While there are still a few jerks and a few drunks in the city, I don't feel nearly the hostility I feel when I try to ride in, say, the Cypress area.

This is just another ordinance to appease a certain group.  Status quo rules.

Groups like critical mass are the ones that will ruin it for all.  Blatantly violating traffic rules and then claiming cars are the problem. 

you're cynical, musicman. ill give you that.

Critical Mass is really not a problem in this city. In some places, yes, they break as many laws as they can, but Houston's Critical Mass has always been completely respectful of other people using the road. I've never seen them take more than one lane (on roads with multiple lanes) and they have a good relationship with HPD.

This is just another ordinance to appease a certain group.  Status quo rules.

Groups like critical mass are the ones that will ruin it for all.  Blatantly violating traffic rules and then claiming cars are the problem. 

The ordinance provides no new protection for a cyclist engaged in breaking a law.

Critical Mass is really not a problem in this city. In some places, yes, they break as many laws as they can, but Houston's Critical Mass has always been completely respectful of other people using the road. I've never seen them take more than one lane (on roads with multiple lanes) and they have a good relationship with HPD.

And i've seen them go through red lights yelling obscenties at cars who have the green light and are honking at the cyclists. That's NOT being respectful to me. I personally almost hit a rider who decided to cross in the middle of a block in front of a parked vehicle which made him impossible to see until he was already in my lane.

The ordinance provides no new protection for a cyclist engaged in breaking a law.

It provide no new protection period. Just passed to make cyclists feel safer. Our current administration loves these type of ordinances.

I almost hit a motorist who ran a stop sign. I've had motorists yell obscenities at me as they attempt to cut me off in traffic.

The difference is that the people you complain of are operating vehicles that weigh 2 to 3 tons less than the ones doing it to me. Further, there are literally millions of motorists on the roads daily versus literally thousands of cyclists. 

Would you like some cream with your hot steaming cup of manufactured outrage?

Archived