Favorite Coffee Houses

My personal favorite tends to be IHOP. I know it's not very hip, but I got used to drinking coffee while studying late into the night at the one next to campus in my undergrad years. And back in the day there weren't many coffee shops around, especially in Waco.

Agora if I'm just looking to hang out and surf, but Blacksmith for the coffee. I agree with you about Catalina. Good coffee, but not particularly friendly. If you're looking for something not in the usual areas, I highly recommend Cafe Fioza down in Meyerland.

I need to try blacksmith. I'll have a coke at agora, but not usually a coffee. double trouble makes a good latte, as does catalina (wish they had more outdoor seating though).

I've been spending most of my time making my own coffee and espresso drinks lately, around August I'll be frequenting my own coffee shop on UH campus :)

• 5 years later...

I'm enjoying Cavo Coffee. They present themselves as a luxury coffee house.

https://www.cavocoffee.com/

Their main business is in the Regions Financial Bank building in GWP.  They had a pop-up location at ROD but since changed to a more permanent location in West U on Bissonnet.  Friendly staff, high end equipment, great coffee.. and surroundings..

If I had Cavo Coffee in the lobby of the building I work at..

Brasil is my long time haunt (like 23 years?) and their coffee really is excellent! Also love Empire Cafe because of those darn little cookies you get with the coffee...! haha! 

I’m not sure there’s a coffee house I don’t like tbh, and I’m pretty sure I’ve tried 90% of the most popular ones in the city. I wish somehow I could get paid off doing so lol.  I’ll throw an out of the box suggestion and go with slowpokes on W 34th and Alba.  Also, I’m partial to the coffee shops that actually use theirs AC!  It’s surprising to me how many of them keep it warm inside. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are two places I sorely miss: Cafe Artiste and Cafe Boticelli. My favorite now, and been going since I was in high school in the early 90s, is Epicure Cafe. As long as a place can make a decent enough cappucino, it's all about ambiance for me from there on. A place with a serviceable cappucino but great ambiance wins hands down over a place with stellar coffee but only so-so ambiance.

Another place I miss, more for high school nostalgia's sake than anything else, is Dolce and Freddo. Mostly patronized the one on lower Kirby, but at one point in the early 90s there was one on FM 1960 in the Champions area when I was in high school up there.

8 hours ago, Reefmonkey said:

There are two places I sorely miss: Cafe Artiste and Cafe Boticelli. My favorite now, and been going since I was in high school in the early 90s, is Epicure Cafe. As long as a place can make a decent enough cappucino, it's all about ambiance for me from there on. A place with a serviceable cappucino but great ambiance wins hands down over a place with stellar coffee but only so-so ambiance.

Another place I miss, more for high school nostalgia's sake than anything else, is Dolce and Freddo. Mostly patronized the one on lower Kirby, but at one point in the early 90s there was one on FM 1960 in the Champions area when I was in high school up there.

I only went to Cafe Artiste a few times, but I was a regular patron of its predecessor at that location, Chicago Pizza Co., when I was in college. Decent pizza, but perhaps of greater importance to college students, regular specials on pitchers of beer.

I miss Dolce and Freddo as well. The Kirby location used to be a near-daily destination for me when I worked in the area - when the late-afternoon malaise kicked in, I knew it was time to hop on my motorcycle and head over there for a quick double espresso, returning to the office sufficiently energized to finish the day. I got to know all of the baristas that worked there quite well and occasionally hung out with one of them who also rode a bike. I never knew about the FM1960 location, but they also had another location on Woodway near Voss. 

8 hours ago, gnu said:

I miss Kaldi Cafe in the Heights circa 2000

I was just thinking about Kaldi Cafe the other day. It closed not too long after we moved into the area, so we only got to eat there a few times. That section of 19th St. was quite a bit different then compared to now. 

On 12/21/2018 at 0:30 PM, gnu said:

I miss Kaldi Cafe in the Heights circa 2000

Kaldi cafe is where Blue October, my best friends band, had their first show ever haha...that was 96 or 97...! Loved that place...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lola Savannah released a line of holiday coffee at CM. Coconut Rum Cake, Maple Bars, Sugar Cookie, and Pumpkin Cheesecake.  

I’d worry about the flavored coffee beans spoiling my grinder for future use. Wouldn’t want my beans to always have a hint taste of cookies.  I was told just wipe the insides and you’ll be fine.

4 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I’d worry about the flavored coffee beans spoiling my grinder for future use. Wouldn’t want my beans to always have a hint taste of cookies.  I was told just wipe the insides and you’ll be fine.

There's a reason that every place that has self-service grinders has separate grinders for flavored and unflavored beans and dire warnings not to mix the two up. 

39 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

There's a reason that every place that has self-service grinders has separate grinders for flavored and unflavored beans and dire warnings not to mix the two up. 

Good call.

I'll save my main grinder, the Baratza Virtuoso, and use my smaller handheld grinder instead. Hand cranking grinders take a few minutes more :(

VeNyOdm.jpg

EYUrEv3.jpg

Archived