Jeannines Bistro At 106 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

Interesting little side note about that location.

3015 Bagby (east side) at the corner of Bagby & Rosalie has an old gray house on it--It was originally on the lot where the strip shopping center is. The original owner of the house was  Helen Sterling-- a sister- in law ( or niece ?)of Ross Sterling the governor, whose original house is in the 400 block of Avondale blvd. She lived to be in her 90's and had grown up in  a house on Mason street. I think her maiden name was Neuhaus? There is a historic tour in Avondale that gives some of this information.

Interesting indeed - so that grey house was moved to it's current location? That house - the old Lul-Lac building are all primed for something better. I think the grey one is for sale??.

the gray one is for sale--- the Avondale civic people thought it was going to be a law firm- the association has tried to get a tour of the law firms inside some of Avondale historic home started for years.

the LU-lac house is a bit sad-- a few years back the pooch place on bagby thought they would set up there and wanted to buy the property but nothing came of it and so pooch ladies settled into the cottage a few houses away.

I've always wondered why Lu-lac didn't do small reno (just enough to get it current to code) on that house and use it as a museum/community center hmmmmm maybe even a LU-lac B&B.

Neither of these are within the boundaries of avondale's 2 historic districts, so there is a fear both will eventually be torn down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting little side note about that location.
 3015 Bagby (east side) at the corner of Bagby & Rosalie has an old gray house on it--It was originally on the lot where the strip shopping center is. The original owner of the house was  Helen Sterling-- a sister- in law ( or niece ?)of Ross Sterling the governor, whose original house is in the 400 block of Avondale blvd. She lived to be in her 90's and had grown up in  a house on Mason street. I think her maiden name was Neuhaus? There is a historic tour in Avondale that gives some of this information.

I found this old picture of the 100 block of Hathaway.

post-6399-0-64252900-1380306026_thumb.jp

Where is Hathaway?

That part of Westheimer was called Hathaway-- I think it might all tie in to the  early Avondale development-- a few Stratford on Avon type names-- Ariel, Hathaway etc.

Hathaway was a small street at that time and the grand entrance into the Avondale Addition was suppose to be through Lovett Blvd. So this picture is the view looking west  from the center of the street at what is now Westheimer and Bagby-- That house on the right hand corner was moved to 3014 Bagby.

Lol who in their right mind would put that incredibly small scaled car into this picture  :lol:

that was an advertisement from Penn Friedman Realty Co--who know what they thought about scale.

I assume this was trying to sell the remaining lots of Avondale addition-

This company issued a brochure that touted Avondale as the highest point  from Buffalo Bayou-that the pink tinted Sidewalks cut down on harsh sun glare and the Avondale lots were platted out bigger to allow for both barns and servants quarters.

• The title was changed to Jeannines Bistro On Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Jeannines Bistro At 106 Westheimer Rd.

Archived