The End of Suburbia

Slick Vik

I'm actually surprised that there haven't been tax credits offered for companies that adopt policies that reduce the impact of commuting already by either allowing people to work from home or by allowing shifted hours.  After all, we really don't have a capacity problem with our existing infrastructure, we have a peak utilization problem that happens for 2-3 hours a day per direction.  If you extend that peak window to 4-5 hours, you essentially double the number of vehicles that you can move.

Should be way cheaper than building additional infrastructure.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston is very impressive now. Or was, until the transit dweebs started ruining everything with light rail that just destroys traffic patterns. Many of my regular travel routes were far easier before I had to start figuring out how to get across the stupidly placed light rail lines. My preference would be to rip out all the rail and improve bus service. There is not a valid argument for having light rail in Houston. Plus, the city would be a better place without all the whiny  "walkable this, walkable that" advocates who want to remake the city I've lived in for almost 40 years into something different.

I think you're exaggerating the impact one light rail line has made on traffic patterns.  I'd like to see some actual data in regards to actual travel times along light rail corridors for motorists. 

It would be a huge waste to rip up the rail now, considering that it carries more passengers than the previous bus line on Main Street, and it carries them at a more efficient rate than buses.  METRO actually subsidizes bus riders more than rail riders. 

I agree that Slick seems to have gone off the deep end with his enormous amounts of posts and threads here, but generally I just don't read his posts. 

I also think that the "walkable" whining is somewhat silly, but lots of people including myself like to live in walkable neighborhoods, and doing things like improving pedestrian infrastructure is a good thing IMO. 

Light rail is not the best form of transportation for such a large and spread out city, but it's better than buses for certain high ridership corridors, statistically speaking.

I'm actually surprised that there haven't been tax credits offered for companies that adopt policies that reduce the impact of commuting already by either allowing people to work from home or by allowing shifted hours.  After all, we really don't have a capacity problem with our existing infrastructure, we have a peak utilization problem that happens for 2-3 hours a day per direction.  If you extend that peak window to 4-5 hours, you essentially double the number of vehicles that you can move.

Should be way cheaper than building additional infrastructure.

Exactly...plus it will allow the suburbs to thrive even more than they do now, especially if more people can stay in the suburbs during the working day. That's more money for local restaurants during lunch and more money left over for other purchases due to reduced transportation costs.

So, it's settled then. He made it up. :lol:

Must be lots of telecommuters on the board. That one flippant remark got more comments than anything else.

I did not make it up. Also working from home stalls your career. Name on Fortune 500 CEO that works from home. If you really want to move up the chain you can't work from home you have to be at the office to interact with others.

I did not make it up. Also working from home stalls your career. Name on Fortune 500 CEO that works from home. If you really want to move up the chain you can't work from home you have to be at the office to interact with others.

I understand your point, but I think that it's less relevant today than ever. Simply for the reason that all major companies are dispersed with multiple offices anyway. People have become very accustomed to working with remote employees.

I understand your point, but I think that it's less relevant today than ever. Simply for the reason that all major companies are dispersed with multiple offices anyway. People have become very accustomed to working with remote employees.

I understand your point but even in that scenario the people usually work in the office anyway. At least from my experience.

I understand your point but even in that scenario the people usually work in the office anyway. At least from my experience.

A couple of points. First is that many people don't have the desire to be a CEO and would trade that opportunity for the convenience of working from home. Second is that acceptance of working from home varies significantly from company to company. Tech companies in particular tend to be very accepting of it.

Tax incentives usually go a long way towards changing corporate attitudes. If it's profitable for them to support work from home, they'll figure out how to do it.

You should look around for another company to work at. It's liberating to be able to schedule your time to maximize both your personal and professional life without having to fit into an industrial-revolution era time straitjacket.

A couple of points. First is that many people don't have the desire to be a CEO and would trade that opportunity for the convenience of working from home. Second is that acceptance of working from home varies significantly from company to company. Tech companies in particular tend to be very accepting of it.

Exactly. Once you have more to your life than just work, you get a different perspective on the dog-eat-dog world of managerial advancement.

So you agree with me then, that working from home 100% stagnates career growth.

Only in certain and jobs and mainly if you're trying to elbow your way up the managerial ladder. If that's your thing, more power to you. Point is, not everyone wants to do that and frequently those that do suffer in other ways.

So you agree with me then, that working from home 100% stagnates career growth.

Wow, this is even more pointless than most of the conversations that we have, because the original point wasn't even working from home, it was a non-traditional commute pattern. The highways are generally heavily impacted between about 6:30 - 9:00 am in one direction and between 4:00 - 6:30 pm in the other. Any worker that is not in those windows to get to their place of employment is not going to impact transit capacities in current patterns. Work from home, either full time or a few days of the week, work shifts that start and/or end outside of those windows are means to achieve that.

It seems to me that tax incentives designed to support those activities are an extremely cost effective way to minimize capital investments in infrastructure.

Wow, this is even more pointless than most of the conversations that we have, because the original point wasn't even working from home, it was a non-traditional commute pattern. The highways are generally heavily impacted between about 6:30 - 9:00 am in one direction and between 4:00 - 6:30 pm in the other. Any worker that is not in those windows to get to their place of employment is not going to impact transit capacities in current patterns. Work from home, either full time or a few days of the week, work shifts that start and/or end outside of those windows are means to achieve that.

It seems to me that tax incentives designed to support those activities are an extremely cost effective way to minimize capital investments in infrastructure.

I know people who do this particularly from pearland since they have no HOV

One light rail has destroyed traffic patterns? There are a number of streets parallel to Main and Fannin that you can take to avoid them.

Also, Houston was a city full of streetcars before it was remade into a freeway heaven. People could have been saying the same thing when streetcars were being shut down one after another.

And yeah, those people encouraging walking are just dumb. We Houstonians just want to walk to our driveway and from the parking lot to the mall or the office!

Parallel isn't the problem. Crossing the rail line is. Most of the trips I make in the vicinity of the northern extension of light rail now require multiple block detours to get across the rail line.

To quote my grandparents, who lived in Houston when there were streetcars, "It was difficult to get where you needed to go in any reasonable amount of time"

There's very little I feel like walking to from my house. The Timbergrove ball fields are pretty much it. For everything else, I'll drive. I would consider riding my bike some, but the head tube cracked, and Trek hasn't made good on it yet.

We have a long driveway, so I get plenty of exercise walking it's length.

Parallel isn't the problem. Crossing the rail line is. Most of the trips I make in the vicinity of the northern extension of light rail now require multiple block detours to get across the rail line.

To quote my grandparents, who lived in Houston when there were streetcars, "It was difficult to get where you needed to go in any reasonable amount of time"

You apparently missed the memo. The streetcars were perfect. Everybody loved them and there were riots and huge protests when they were taken out of the city. The fact that we can't find any record of those protests is just a sign of the scope of the cover-up that occurred, because really, people were outraged.

You apparently missed the memo. The streetcars were perfect. Everybody loved them and there were riots and huge protests when they were taken out of the city. The fact that we can't find any record of those protests is just a sign of the scope of the cover-up that occurred, because really, people were outraged.

I can't believe that someone went through all of the archives and removed all the references to the protests.

Of course, I guess my family is probably largely to blame for the demise of streetcars, since my great grandfather sold cars in Houston from 1912-1921. Krits, REO, and Overland.

Not many factory workers telecommute either.

There's certain jobs that require attendance.

If you're an "analyst level 1" there's probably not much need to work in the office 5 days a week, and it shouldn't hurt your chances for advancement if you perform well and show initiative.

Not many factory workers telecommute either.

There's certain jobs that require attendance.

No, but they can shift hours to minimize congestion.  A lot of companies have gone to 4/40 or 9/80 plans to impact that.

I'm a few years older than your daughter and in my experience seems to bear that out with an average stay at one employer of 3.8 years. Each time I changed jobs, I went either to another part of the city or to another city entirely.

An even more interesting trend for city and transit planning is working remotely either from home or from bare-bones remote offices in the suburbs that don't require people to brave rush hour traffic and thus reduce the need for additional transit improvements. If that trend continues, there might be less demand for centralized environments like downtown and more development of edge cities closer to the suburbs.

Thanks for replying to my question with your own real-world experience rather than comparing Houston & other auto-centric American metro areas to "Europe"

The point of my question was to elicit some opinions on whether urban planners are "fighting the last war" by pushing for mass transit-dependent development that purports to create a number of "walkable" villages (village is the term for these nodes of dense development meant to attract young professionals used by planners in San Diego CA) that presumably will have a greater sense of community than suburban single family housing.

The San Diego example has not been a success, and job mobility among young professionals seems to be factor in that failure to create stable communities. (One example is the University City or "UTC" village that has kind of a Mason-Dixon Line of young professional renters of mid-rise condos, apts, townhouses on 1 side, and older, mostly retired single family homeowners on the other - 1 side highly mobile, transient, and the other going nowhere but "isolated" according to New Urbanists in single family housing.)

Slick might say (will say) that if the city of SD just built out a complete rail system in its topographically difficult terrain everything would be ok. Somehow, it just doesn't seem that simple...

We have a long driveway, so I get plenty of exercise walking it's length.

1. It's not that difficult to cross the rail line, stop exaggerating.

2. Unless you rode the streetcars...

3. Walking a driveway is not sufficient exercise.

Watch the movie taken for a ride. Then get back to me. The fact that people actually fell for GM's scam hook line and sinker is pretty sad.

I think it really depends on how many times he walks the driveway. If his driveway is 20 feet long, and he walks up and down it 132 times, that's a mile, 660 times is 5 miles. I'd say that's a good enough workout.

Maybe his driveway is half a mile long, as he's an 'inner loop haifer' I doubt it, but you never know, then he'd just need to do 5 round trips to get a nice 5 mile walk in!

1. It's not that difficult to cross the rail line, stop exaggerating.

2. Unless you rode the streetcars...

Watch the movie taken for a ride. Then get back to me. The fact that people actually fell for GM's scam hook line and sinker is pretty sad.

My grandparents thought the streetcars sucked, and took too long to get anywhere. That's why they bought an automobile. Plus, the streetcars didn't go many of the places they needed to go, like Tomball and Humble.

Archived