Globe Department Stores

Ashikaga

I also remember on the side of Gulfgate that Weingarten's was on, was a street, I think that the name of it was Woodridge/Woodbridge. I remember us going to a department store on that street called Globe. I thought that I heard that a Home Depot is now in that spot. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Chet Cuccia

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the side street of Gulfgate (I think that the name of it was either Woodridge/Woodbridge) was a department store that we went to. The name of it was Globe. I heard that a Home Depot is now in that spot. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Chet Cuccia

There was also a Globe down near Belfort. I think the one near Gulfgate was next to Frizell's Pontiac AMC.

This is hurting my head. Must recall childhood memories.

But I am good at that. I remember my days as a zygote fondly. It was fun.

Or was that Sage? I get Sage and Globe confused, but from what I remember, they made Wal-Mart look fancy ;-)

On the side street of Gulfgate (I think that the name of it was either Woodridge/Woodbridge) was a department store that we went to.  The name of it was Globe.  I heard that a Home Depot is now in that spot.  Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Chet Cuccia

Familiar with Globe but not that location. We had one by us, when i was growing up. I think it was owned by Walgreens...it was their answer for Woolco and Kmart.

Or was that Sage?  I get Sage and Globe confused, but from what I remember, they made Wal-Mart look fancy ;-)

I never went into a Sage, but I do remember they had ads on the paper bookcovers we had in school. They were like miniature billboards with short goofy phrases on them...can't think of one off hand. Maybe i can dig in my parents attic and find and rat chewed copy of one :lol:

There was also a Globe down near Belfort.  I think the one near Gulfgate was next to Frizell's Pontiac AMC.

This is hurting my head.  Must recall childhood memories.

But I am good at that.  I remember my days as a zygote fondly. It was fun.

Or was that Sage?  I get Sage and Globe confused, but from what I remember, they made Wal-Mart look fancy ;-)

I went to Globe between 1962-64. I remember us going into the pet department and my parents bought a solid white cat. I'm now 47.

Chet Cuccia

There was also a Globe down near Belfort.  I think the one near Gulfgate was next to Frizell's Pontiac AMC.

There was a Globe on the northeast corner of Bellaire and Hillcroft. It was right across Hillcroft from the Sharpstown drive-in theater. Sage was on the southeast corner of Beechnut and Post Oak (now 610) right across from Meyerland. What occupies those locations now?

The southeast corner of Beechnut and Post Oak Road (now 610) is occupied by a shopping center anchored by Lowe's and Hobby Lobby.  There's an IHOP, a bank, a K&G men's store... that kind of thing.  Before Lowe's there was a Builder's Square.

EDIT: While we're on this topic, anybody remember Gibson's Discount Center?  I have a dim recollection of this chain from my early childhood.

Yes, I remember Gibson's. I didn't know that there were any of those stores over in Houston. I live in Orange, Texas (100 miles east of Houston). The stores have all bit the dust. There used to be one here in Orange, one in Beaumont, one in Vidor, and one in Port Arthur.

Chet Cuccia

I don't know if they were in Houston proper or not.  I spent my earliest years in Galveston County.  I remember one in Dickinson and seem to recall others in the area.

I know there were Gibson's in Seabrook and Baytown. And throughout East Texas. We frequented the one in Longview when we lived there.

A couple of years ago, My wife and I were thinking about buying a lakefront house on Toledo Bend and ended up looking at, what we were told, was the former Gibson's Corporate Retreat. Very nice location. It was on a peninsula that jutted out into the lake.

They had subdivided it and were selling off the different cabins and such. The "houses" were all small rundown 60's a-frames. Nice lot but we wanted a decent house too. Unfortunately, we never followed through on the lakehouse idea.

I never went into a Sage, but I do remember they had ads on the  paper bookcovers we had in school.  They were like miniature billboards with short goofy phrases on them...can't think of one off hand.  Maybe i can dig in my parents attic and find and rat chewed copy of one  :lol:

Here's one of the slogans I remember from Sage billboards:

Rudolph shops at Sage, red knows (nose)

You know those billboards are one of the things I remember specifically from childhood that first got my interest in going into the advertising field.

You prodded my memory. Yes, I now remember a Pontiac car dealership either near or next door to that Globe Department Store. I heard that Globe has been long gone and that there is now a Home Depot store on the spot on ground that Globe once occupied.

Chet Cuccia

Globe was north of Gulfgate on I-45 West side. It is now a huge Home Depot.

Sage was on I-45 around the Hobby Airport exit on the East side. It is now some sort of trade school I think. At any rate that building is actuall still there.

For the records, there was another Globe store in Pasadena. I think it was on Southmore.

There was a Globe on the northeast corner of Bellaire and Hillcroft.  It was right across Hillcroft from the Sharpstown drive-in theater.  Sage was on the southeast corner of Beechnut and Post Oak (now 610) right across from Meyerland.  What occupies those locations now?

Torchlight answered about what occupies the old Sage location now, but I don't think anyone answered what sits on the old Globe location at Bellaire & Hillcroft. It's now a Fiesta Grocery Store. And across the street where the old Sharpstown Drive in was is now a strip center which I can't recall what is in it now. It was a Safeway a long time ago.

Globe was north of Gulfgate on I-45 West side. It is now a huge Home Depot.

Sage was on I-45 around the Hobby Airport exit on the East side. It is now some sort of trade school I think. At any rate that building is actuall still there.

For the records, there was another Globe store in Pasadena. I think it was on Southmore.

the sage was near monroe on the east side of the freeway.

i remember globe but i think it was where the lowe's is now. i also remember a Fedmart there as well during one incarnation. i think it opened after globe closed. can anyone jog my memory???

I never went into a Sage, but I do remember they had ads on the  paper bookcovers we had in school.  They were like miniature billboards with short goofy phrases on them...can't think of one off hand.  Maybe i can dig in my parents attic and find and rat chewed copy of one  :lol:

There was a Sage on Westhiemer and Stoney Brook. It is now a Guitar Center. I think it was a pharmacy, but I might be wrong. I remember the toy section well.

There was a Sage on Westhiemer and Stoney Brook.  It is now a Guitar Center.  I think it was a pharmacy, but I might be wrong.  I remember the toy section well.

All that I can remember is going into the Globe Department Store on Woodridge, next to Gulfgate. We went into the pet department. My parents bought a solid white cat which they named "Purdy." Later we found out that it had a gastric disorder. It kept stinking up our house.

Chet Cuccia