Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.

jdbaker

I went to the Main Street TIRZ meeting this evening. Largely uneventful as they only have a budget of $9mm and have to make repair and small upgrades to the entire length of downtown Main Street (although the landscaping will look nice). In this photo of their South Downtown streetscape, there is a rendering of the renovated Holiday Inn. Not sure if the actual hotel rendering is from the actual owner:

HolidayInn_zpsf15f8e88.jpg

Ah, I wanted to take a photo but wasn't sure if that'd be okay. I was the only one there tonight that wasn't a resident or works downtown. 

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

I'm frequently among the preservationists on the board, but in this case I don't think the Savoy has any particular architectural value that would merit its preservation.  It's nice and all that they are re-using the existing building, but if they had chosen to demolish it wouldn't have been much of a loss.  I kind of like it better with the revised paint scheme.

• Like 3

Careful, statements like that will have the preservationists on this board at your throat in no time.

Nah, as one of the "preservation twins," I can say it wouldn't be a big deal if either of these were imploded, and if it were the Days Inn, I'd help swing the wrecking ball myself.  The thing about us preservationists, we don't just want to preserve buildings because they're old, but mainly if they are historically significant or contribute to the architectural landscape, like the Astrodome (world's first domed stadium) or 806 Main (Houston's first skyscraper) or the recently demolished Prudential Building (landmark example of an early modern skyscraper / Houston's first highrise outside of downtown).

• Like 4

i agree it doesnt look like the most legit rendering of Holiday Inn, but the details of the surrounding area are pretty spot on?

anyways i know some of your feelings on throwing glass curtain walls over existing structures, but in this case i think it would of looked much better in all glass, or imploded, along with the Days Inn. heh, oh well.. im glad downtown is getting an affordable hotel, right on the main street line. and it should add somewhat to the future pedestrian population in that area.

wtf.. they left those stubs sticking out on the right side that was supposed to be for a skybridge to the old building or something?

Lol, that sky bridge stub is character right there.

Ok, being serious, I have gone by that building hundreds of times. Maybe 1000s and I have never noticed the stubbs in person. I just know about it because if HAIF

Edited by HoustonIsHome

Better quality:

mU7VfUb.png

Edit: Based on what I'm seeing, I don't think this is the official rendering. This was made specifically to show off the renovation and developments along Main.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12955900185_6375a35f92_b.jpg

Why did your picture come out weird?  :P

RRGJjwQ.png

I think it looks great! So much better than the other fake rendering.

Edit: Fake rendering as in the one at the top of this page. The dark grey one.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2