Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.

jdbaker

Yeah, I'm not sure *every* tower downtown needs to be solid glass.

I would very much agree.  Drastic remodeling to appear "modern" rarely seems to be a good idea in the long run.  Better to stick with the period charm.  In evidence I offer 806 Main, the Lamar Hotel, the West Building and others that were modernized in the 1960s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Doesn't look like too much is going on, besides new windows.

I think someone or an article the other day said all the work done so far was on the inside.

I need to find out what block this is. Seems a little strange that construction has started but no rendering has been made public.

• Like 1

I think someone or an article the other day said all the work done so far was on the inside. I need to find out what block this is. Seems a little strange that construction has started but no rendering has been made public.

ha, i was just doing some searching on google earlier trying to find a rendering of this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems as if the guy also doesn't check HAIF much anymore, because he can find new information on projects (and use that info to dig up more) here and post it on his website. We need a Curbed Houston or HAIF blog.

Or you could be a real estate reporter like Houston19514 suggested the other day! I mean the last HBJ weekly article I got from was a cut and paste of GHP's 2014 regional job forecast presentation. I mean it's $100 a year and that's the best they can do! You could do a much better job Urbannizer. Swamplot seems to be the bottom of the barrel now just posting whatever will get the most knee jerk reactions, and Nancy never follows up on a project so they either die and no one knows about it or they are just miraculously done(unless it's Exxon then it's aerials for days). You're information is always a lot better, Urbannizer.

• Like 1

Or you could be a real estate reporter like Houston19514 suggested the other day! I mean the last HBJ weekly article I got from was a cut and paste of GHP's 2014 regional job forecast presentation. I mean it's $100 a year and that's the best they can do! You could do a much better job Urbannizer. Swamplot seems to be the bottom of the barrel now just posting whatever will get the most knee jerk reactions, and Nancy never follows up on a project so they either die and no one knows about it or they are just miraculously done(unless it's Exxon then it's aerials for days). You're information is always a lot better, Urbannizer.

Agree. Urbannizer, you should either start a blog and sell advertising similar to Swamplot or become a reporter. If you started a blog, I would read it daily.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Main Street TIRZ meeting this evening. Largely uneventful as they only have a budget of $9mm and have to make repair and small upgrades to the entire length of downtown Main Street (although the landscaping will look nice). In this photo of their South Downtown streetscape, there is a rendering of the renovated Holiday Inn. Not sure if the actual hotel rendering is from the actual owner:

HolidayInn_zpsf15f8e88.jpg

• Like 4