Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.

jdbaker

Have they ever reached the point of where they're at now?

Back before the crash there were detailed renderings circulating of a renovated Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn with new glass curtain walls.  I assume that was the previous owners before the new ones. 

Back before the crash there were detailed renderings circulating of a renovated Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn with new glass curtain walls. I assume that was the previous owners before the new ones.

We'll see. At least this time there is something actually physically happening to the building - signs of hope

I'll believe that when I see it.  There have been any number of redevelopment rumors for that place over the years. 

ah, then I should have taken photos then! Saw construction crews at both The Savoy and the Days Inn. Think the Days Inn crowd was just surveying though.

"Flagship" Holiday Inns are full service hotels usually with restaurants, room service, pools, gyms, etc... They are the upper end of this mid-level hotel chain. At one time, they were just a step below the chain's Crowne Plaza brand but Crowne Plazas spun off on their own a decade or so ago.

Downtown already has a Holiday Inn Express.

• Like 1

It's one thing for Houston to be interested in restoring 100-year old structures, but now this building built in 1966.  The Central Houston hotel market is hotter than ever right now.  There's definitely hope for Central Square and the old Days Inn before Super Bowl LI. 

• Like 1

Also - does anyone know what the two flat panels are (were) coming from the side of the building facing the courtyard?

savext003.jpg

Looks like that's where the proposed bldg (above the parking garage) would have "sky connected" to the existing bldg. 

Took the train into downtown last Saturday for beer fest and the last stop was Downtown Transit Center due to construction. As we  walked past the Savoy the trash shoot was loud as a lot of junk was going through it. and there was a dust cloud in the air from all the trash.

My friends were like wtf?, but I knew ,having read haif religously since i don't know when.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took the train into downtown last Saturday for beer fest and the last stop was Downtown Transit Center due to construction. As we  walked past the Savoy the trash shoot was loud as a lot of junk was going through it. and there was a dust cloud in the air from all the trash.

My friends were like wtf?, but I knew ,having read haif religously since i don't know when.

Did it look like this?

tumblr_mrc0le4noU1rolcooo1_500.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was driving down Travis this morning and noticed someone surveying the surface parking lot that takes up the other half of the Savoy's block. Anyone have an idea it's for? Why would they need to survey the whole block for renovations on the already existing building?

Edited by ClutchCity
  • Like 1

Was driving down Travis this morning and noticed someone surveying the surface parking lot that takes up the other half of the Savoy's block. Anyone have an idea it's for? Why would they need to survey the whole block for renovations on the already existing building?

An expansion of the base/lobby area?

All I'd seen before was just regarding the current tower, but maybe there are plans to modernize the entry area that haven't been mentioned yet.

Parking garage with amenities on top would be my guess. Full-service Holiday Inns usually have things like banquet rooms, meeting facilities, pools, and full service restaurants and there's very little room in the original building for those things.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...