jdbaker

Savoy Hotel to Become a Flagship Holiday Inn

I hope so. Haven't heard anything though.

Can you imagine if the Savoy and Central Square both changed hands and somebody did something with them. Add in the new Skyhouse and the recent renovation of the Houston House and you'd have some real change in S. downtown.

• Like 1

I hope so. Haven't heard anything though.

Can you imagine if the Savoy and Central Square both changed hands and somebody did something with them. Add in the new Skyhouse and the recent renovation of the Houston House and you'd have some real change in S. downtown.

Agree.  Along those lines, I also heard an unsubstantiated rumor of another residential project going up on the block  immediately north of Skyhouse.

• Like 2

This is truly exciting - hope there's some truth to this - was looking at some High Rise Listing's in Museum district - can't wait and hope a to own building goes up DT soon.

I'm afraid this is much ado about nothing.  Remember awhile ago that someone bought the old abandoned hotel downtown and planned to do something with it?  Wasn't that a few years ago?  I'm afraid that this will have the same result. 

Cautiously optimistic, but not getting my hopes up for this one.

This, Texaco, Holiday Inn...same old story year in year out, but maybe this is it. Unless something miraculous happened I was under the impression the owners were planning on just letting it sit and rot like its older half did because they were unwilling to take any reasonable offers..

I think the lack of optimism comes from the fact that Houston hasn't been such a hotbed for development in almost 30 years, since the old bust. Right now the Old Central Square building is being renovated, SkyHouse is being built, and Houston House just recently got renovated. I think developers are confident in Houston's economy, and I feel that the nice incentives and planning the city has created over the past 10 years is finally starting to pay off. It's really only a matter of time before the Savoy, the old Holiday Inn, and the Texaco building all get renovated. There's no reason not to be optimistic considering all the construction going on in the city. This is a true renaissance and Houston deserves it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Since I'm not in the area, I can only check in on this one with the help of everyone here and through the SkyHouse webcam. I've noticed they're building a small wooden access way up and near the eastern corner that's rising by the day. I'm guessing it's just for the stuff they're cleaning out floor by floor at this point, especially since one of the levels is connected to a chute that goes to the dumpsters, but it also looks like an access way for construction elevators that I've seen at other projects.

Just wondering if it looked that large in person since you can only gauge so much from a webcam!

Swamplot has a pic of it on their Headlines post.

word is that the savoy will be a holiday inn express

Odd as there is one just nine blocks away by Toyota Center.

Odd as there is one just nine blocks away by Toyota Center.

I think he rechecked his source and agreed with RedScare and/or someone else that it's actually a Hilton Garden Inn.

I'm probably wrong, could be a Hampton Garden Inn? I'm really not sure what, if anything will happen to this building. I'll keep quiet about this until I find out more.

Edited by DrLan34

I heard something about a Turkish company and a boutique hotel.  That's all I've got. 

• Like 1

@jdbaker: A boutique hotel would be amazing, but it seems more likely it'll be a national chain. Where'd you hear about this Turkish company? How legit does that rumor seem to you?

The Chron now says it's going to be a Holiday Inn "flagship", whatever that means.  (Can't get access to the full article yet.)

Great news! 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Why are there these two other ladies reporting on real estate lately instead of Nancy?

The report says the days inn is expected to be developed too.

• Like 3

That would be fantastic.  That's probably the biggest eyesore downtown. 

• Like 1

Another shocking thing about it is that the article said it would be finished this year

• Like 1

I was curious what a Holiday Inn Flagship Hotel was/looked like, and came across this one in Shanghai:

post-2792-0-43357000-1370446831_thumb.jp

Check out the pool!

post-2792-0-80382500-1370446862_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Pedestrians looking up at half naked bums? I'd be shocked if that could be built here

• Like 1

LOL this is Houston not Shanghai unfortunately I dont think our Flagship Holiday Inn will look anything like that. It would be amazing if it did however.

I'll believe that when I see it.  There have been any number of redevelopment rumors for that place over the years. 

• Like 1

I'll believe that when I see it. There have been any number of redevelopment rumors for that place over the years.

Have they ever reached the point of where they're at now?

Have they ever reached the point of where they're at now?

Back before the crash there were detailed renderings circulating of a renovated Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn with new glass curtain walls.  I assume that was the previous owners before the new ones. 

Back before the crash there were detailed renderings circulating of a renovated Holiday/Heaven on Earth Inn with new glass curtain walls. I assume that was the previous owners before the new ones.

We'll see. At least this time there is something actually physically happening to the building - signs of hope

Hope they keep/refurbish the "Savoy Houston" signage but it's probably a goner.

Maybe it'll be the "Holiday Inn Savoy Houston."

• Like 1

I'll believe that when I see it.  There have been any number of redevelopment rumors for that place over the years. 

ah, then I should have taken photos then! Saw construction crews at both The Savoy and the Days Inn. Think the Days Inn crowd was just surveying though.

"Flagship" Holiday Inns are full service hotels usually with restaurants, room service, pools, gyms, etc... They are the upper end of this mid-level hotel chain. At one time, they were just a step below the chain's Crowne Plaza brand but Crowne Plazas spun off on their own a decade or so ago.

Downtown already has a Holiday Inn Express.

• Like 1

It's one thing for Houston to be interested in restoring 100-year old structures, but now this building built in 1966.  The Central Houston hotel market is hotter than ever right now.  There's definitely hope for Central Square and the old Days Inn before Super Bowl LI. 

• Like 1

Also - does anyone know what the two flat panels are (were) coming from the side of the building facing the courtyard?

savext003.jpg

Also - does anyone know what the two flat panels are (were) coming from the side of the building facing the courtyard?

savext003.jpg

Looks like that's where the proposed bldg (above the parking garage) would have "sky connected" to the existing bldg.