Globe Department Stores

Ashikaga

Everything under the Sun!

Cracks me up! That really goes back into the memory vaults! I think the logo had this goofy sun smiling up in the air?

We always ran to the records section of the store at the Gulfgate store. For some reason (unbeknowngst to me) I still recall holding and looking over the Eric Clapton album while, I shot the Sheriff played in the background. It closed shortly after that so it must have been 1974-75ish?

Then became Fedmart was supposed to be an innovation store because it had everything under one roof pre-Walmart. I worked there for about 1 year and still have my name tag. :ph34r::lol:

I can't remember it being a FedMart. I remember it stood empty for a long time and then it was a Mervyns for a while. Doesn't mean it wasn't.

Before Sams Club there was Gemco. It was membership only and had Eagle Grocery stores in the back section. It was the first Super Center.

joe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It definitly was a Fed Mart for a while. It was in the old Globe building. When Fed Mart closed they tore down the building and built the Mervyns there. Next to the parking lot for the Globe/Fed Mart was a large apartment clomplex that ran from there out to a street called Plum Creek that ran from Telephone near Stubbs Cycles over to Winkler. A friend of mine lived on Plum Creek and we would cut through the apartments over to Globe, and then Fed Mart. Someone who lived in the apartments had actually built a horseshoe pitch in the grass between the parking lot and the back fence of the apartments and cut a hole through the fence to have easy access. That was our cut through to the store.

I can't remember it being a FedMart. I remember it stood empty for a long time and then it was a Mervyns for a while. Doesn't mean it wasn't.Before Sams Club there was Gemco. It was membership only and had Eagle Grocery stores in the back section. It was the first Super Center.joeMany years ago on Eastex Freeway here in Beaumont there was a Gemco. Before that it was called Bellas Hess. Then after Gemco it was Beaumont's first regular Wal-Mart. Now the supercenter is north on Dowlen Road.
Here's one of the slogans I remember from Sage billboards:Rudolph shops at Sage, red knows (nose)You know those billboards are one of the things I remember specifically from childhood that first got my interest in going into the advertising field.
To me, those membership department stores such as Sam's Club and Costco are good for big families who live in big houses. What couple with only one or two kids would need to stock up on such bulk?

Before Sams Club there was Gemco. It was membership only and had Eagle Grocery stores in the back section. It was the first Super Center.
I remember the Gemco at Airport Blvd @ I-45 quite well. I bought a couple of Intellivision games from them--I remember calling them every day for about three weeks hoping to get a Donkey Kong cartridge as soon as it was available.

I am almost certain that it was not a membership-only store; I paid for my games with my own lawn-mowing money and didn't have any sort of card when I was 13. I also remember my parents talking about whether it would make sense to pay to get a Sam's Club card, after Sam's moved into the building that Gemco left vacant. I think that was the first time we'd ever heard of a store that required membership.

That building is still standing, but it's been a flea market for about 10-15 years--longer, I think, than any other store tenant at that location!

It definitly was a Fed Mart for a while. It was in the old Globe building. When Fed Mart closed they tore down the building and built the Mervyns there. Next to the parking lot for the Globe/Fed Mart was a large apartment clomplex that ran from there out to a street called Plum Creek that ran from Telephone near Stubbs Cycles over to Winkler. A friend of mine lived on Plum Creek and we would cut through the apartments over to Globe, and then Fed Mart. Someone who lived in the apartments had actually built a horseshoe pitch in the grass between the parking lot and the back fence of the apartments and cut a hole through the fence to have easy access. That was our cut through to the store.

Thank you for confirming. How could I forget where I worked at age 19? Had to be around 1980. One thing I really remember of Fedmart was how much people used to shoplift! It was unreal. Security caught a woman with a small chainsaw in her bag. We would always find empty 8 track tape cartons tossed behind shelves. Apparently the franchise didn't pan out and they folded and your right, they tore it down and built Mervyn's which was the last decent department store in that area. Sat empty for years.

I remember the Gemco at Airport Blvd @ I-45 quite well. I bought a couple of Intellivision games from them--I remember calling them every day for about three weeks hoping to get a Donkey Kong cartridge as soon as it was available.

I am almost certain that it was not a membership-only store; I paid for my games with my own lawn-mowing money and didn't have any sort of card when I was 13. I also remember my parents talking about whether it would make sense to pay to get a Sam's Club card, after Sam's moved into the building that Gemco left vacant. I think that was the first time we'd ever heard of a store that required membership.

That building is still standing, but it's been a flea market for about 10-15 years--longer, I think, than any other store tenant at that location!

As you walked in the front door there was a tall desk to the right where you had to show your membership card. I don't remember if it cost anything but you had to have one. They may have relaxed it in its final days. Another reason I remember is there was a pretty blond that I knew from my Village Pizza days that worked the desk. I kept trying to get her to go out with me.

wikipedia on GEMCO

joe

Edited by texianjoe

I worked at the Globe on Woodridge in 1974 for one summer. The tire store next door was Fisk, had a little boy in pajamas and holding a candle with the slogan "Time to retire.".

The only Globe left after the late 70s was one in McAllen Texas. It was closed about 5 years ago. It made so much money from people coming across the border to shop they kept it open.

I remember Sage because it was the only non grocery store open on Sundays. They would block off sections of items you couldn't buy because of the Blue Laws.

joe

I worked at the Globe on Woodridge in 1974 for one summer. The tire store next door was Fisk, had a little boy in pajamas and holding a candle with the slogan "Time to retire.".

The only Globe left after the late 70s was one in McAllen Texas. It was closed about 5 years ago. It made so much money from people coming across the border to shop they kept it open.

I remember Sage because it was the only non grocery store open on Sundays. They would block off sections of items you couldn't buy because of the Blue Laws.

joe

• Like 1

The Globe Store in McAllen is still open. I live here so I'm sure about this.I think they only sell groceries though now.They have commercials on TV all the time about wall of food values,and that they have fresh french bread and fried chicken. They do get alot of business from Mexico I'm pretty sure.Mexican shoppers provide alot of revenue here. We're only like less than ten miles from Reynosa,Mexico,and Monterrey is not far away either.

I remember back in the 1970s Gibson Department Store on Saturday's would "rope off" some items not to be sold on that day but on Sunday. Go figure.

That was because of Texas Blue Laws, which are still in effect, but mainly just for car dealers.

Edited by TJones

joe

Hey Joe, they had the same type of set up with the Globe store in Baytown. There was a Fisk tires that turned into a Discount Tires. I got my first NEW bike at a Globe store, it was a Monoshock Huffy, Christmas of 1975.

01010801041201030220070821bde7139af439146306003542.jpg

Edited by TJones

I remember back in the 1970s Gibson Department Store on Saturday's would "rope off" some items not to be sold on that day but on Sunday. Go figure.

and now that idea sounds just hilarious. Talk about a tease. That's like saying "You can look at the menu but you just cant eat".lol :lol:

Hope the Gibson was no relation to former mall queen, flash in the pan Debbie Gibson.

Hey Joe, they had the same type of set up with the Globe store in Baytown. There was a Fisk tires that turned into a Discount Tires. I got my first NEW bike at a Globe store, it was a Monoshock Huffy, Christmas of 1975.

01010801041201030220070821bde7139af439146306003542.jpg

Cool bike, I had the yellow Schwin with the banana seat and sissy bar. You can buy original refurbished bikes like those at the Schwin shop in Pasadena on Richey. They wanted the same for one of those old bikes as I paid for my brand new Cannondale.

joe

Cool bike, I had the yellow Schwin with the banana seat and sissy bar. You can buy original refurbished bikes like those at the Schwin shop in Pasadena on Richey. They wanted the same for one of those old bikes as I paid for my brand new Cannondale.

joe

Yeah, a fool and his money soon parted. But if they had a Black with Red rims Schwinn Mag Scrambler. I may have to put down a couple of bills.

I can remember how much I HATED that Huffy, I wanted anything BUT a Huffy back then. I wanted a Redline or a Schwinn or a Mongoose, but those were almost $200 back then. I finally got a Mag Scrambler in 1980, and it was stolen in front of a Stop and Go in 1982.

As you walked in the front door there was a tall desk to the right where you had to show your membership card. I don't remember if it cost anything but you had to have one. They may have relaxed it in its final days. Another reason I remember is there was a pretty blond that I knew from my Village Pizza days that worked the desk. I kept trying to get her to go out with me.

wikipedia on GEMCO

joe

The GEMCO by Northline Mall became a Fiesta, not sure if it's still there.

• 4 years later...

The Horseshoe pit was built by Mr. Fine who lived in the trailer park at the Trailer closest to the pit. I lived in the Village Way Apartments on the other side of the fence. I lived in the same apartment for 17 years, I also had a friend that lived in a house on Plum Creek named Tim Clendinum, also a friend that lived in the other apartments on Plum Creek his name was Mike Kimsey and then the brother and sister whose parents owned or operated the trailer park, thier name was Rhino and Janice. Small world.

• Like 1

Familiar with Globe but not that location. We had one by us, when i was growing up. I think it was owned by Walgreens...it was their answer for Woolco and Kmart.

Actually Walgreens owned Woolco. Back in the 70s I did some watch repairs for Woolco and my paychecks were from Walgreens, well the checks had Walgreens in the letterhead.

Edited by blue92

I'm originally from Louisiana and remember Gibsons very well. They changed the name to Howard Brothers in the 70's and then Howards Brand Discount late 70's 80' s they went out of business about 87. Dont know where the Houston locations were if there were any but the ones I remember in Louisiana were in Lafayette on Johnston Street its a flea market now and Hwy 190 West across from the Yambilee Fair Grounds.

I remember the FedMart on Mykawa & The South Loop... it wasnt there too long. I almost feel like we shopped there in the days before they closed it down. Taking advantage of the clearance sales. By 1983 it was a Fiesta. Then we shopped at Fiesta for groceries.

Edited by djrage