lockmat

One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower for Block 43

So when will you reveal this building? It sounds like it will have an interesting look.

I can't reveal it. All I did was email the stream address listed on their website and request to see it. The rep kindly warned me of prosecution if it was made public or got in the wrong hands.

It is part boring part interesting.

It seems like only if they break ground. I guess they have their reasons for not releasing it.

For those who I got to show the rendering to at the happy hour, where does it rank vs hines and Skanska's towers?

For those who I got to show the rendering to at the happy hour, where does it rank vs hines and Skanska's towers?

I liked it better than both of those towers, also liked it better than the recently exposed 38-story building.  It also has the best location from a skyline impacting perspective.  Is it really 50 stories?  I only glanced through the text but I thought it said 41 stories? (That was after a few beers though)

I have was half way kidding. Everybody keeps talking about this rending and doing side nudges to one another while the rest of us are totally in the dark. I wanna see, too :)

Everyone who read the happy hour thread was told the rendering would be present and was free to come see it :) hopefully they'll just release it soon

• Like 2

It looks really nice. Best rendering I've seen since... When was the AIM building cancelled? Very cool design, it's like if Hines wasn't afraid of more detail.

• Like 1

It is more dynamic and it would have a big impact on the skyline but I think I still like Hines' better

It looks really nice. Best rendering I've seen since... When was the AIM building cancelled? Very cool design, it's like if Hines wasn't afraid of more detail.

Image is so small, how can you tell what it looks like?

Image is so small, how can you tell what it looks like?

What image are you referring to?

It is more dynamic and it would have a big impact on the skyline but I think I still like Hines' better

Someone asked earlier but you guys never answered, is it actually 50 stories like the thread title suggests?

Someone asked earlier but you guys never answered, is it actually 50 stories like the thread title suggests?

I'll have to count later, but yes I think so.

Edited by lockmat

i hope this one gets built instead of 5AC.. it would make quite an impact on that part of the skyline and the design sounds dramatic. of course having both built would be nice too but thats a lot of new floor space on top of whats already planned for all the other towers. did we ever agree which curved shape this tower looks like? a cross between a head and sholders bottle and the Burj al Arab in Dubai?

Where is the rendering? I thought it was a secret.

it is a secret but hints were given (see page 2). im thinking the "head and shoulders" reference might of been meant towards the mock up tower/place holder in the skyline picture posted, im not sure if that guy has actually seen the rendering. if it looks anything like Burj al Arab i will be extremely excited, though that design would probably be better fit in uptown. maybe it will be the catalyst that will start making downtown architecture interesting again.

Edited by cloud713

Oh I understand. I think he has not seen it. It would be announced, since Skansa and Hines are speeding up development. What a waste of time. :)

There are actually a decent few of us that have seen it as referenced earlier in the thread. It hasn't been shown publicly so that poster was told that legal action could be taken if he posted it online. Like others have said, it's a nice looking building in a great spot.

Oh I understand. I think he has not seen it. It would be announced, since Skansa and Hines are speeding up development. What a waste of time. :)

only the head and shoulders guy hasnt seen the rendering (i dont think?), unless he was maybe describing the overall shape of the building, whereas the other people that for sure have seen it were talking about the more dramatic architectural "top fin fish" feature on top?

would we be safe to assume this building would be close to 900 feet with the architectural feature on top? its not uncommon for 50 story office buildings to be 800 feet these days.

Why are they so secretive with the design and why are they so late, when compared to the other proposals? Aren't all of these buildings racing to secure potential  tenants?

If this design is the best, then why are they holding it back?

would we be safe to assume this building would be close to 900 feet with the architectural feature on top? its not uncommon for 50 story office buildings to be 800 feet these days.

I would say closer to 750ft. It didn't look that tall next to the JP Morgan Chase Tower.

I would say closer to 750ft. It didn't look that tall next to the JP Morgan Chase Tower.

oh bummer, so what about the architectural top fin fish sail? does part of that not protrude from the top like a spire? a 750 footer is still cool to expand the skyline a ilttle further to the north, i was just hoping it would be more like the Burj al Arab which is 60 stories but over 1,000' due to its spire/sail feature.

Edited by cloud713

he hasn't seen the rendering (that would be me...lol)... the placeholder looks like the bottle   :)

heh, thanks for the clarification. i agree.

No twisting... If you squint your eyes and put Vaseline over your eyebrows, it might look like the top one. If you imagines a Houston version, then you will lower your expectations. I still think it looks cool though. Probably the best one proposed in a while.

That was after a couple beers though.

• Like 2

What Montrose said but I would say closer to the second ones with their sharper features and more squarish footprint. I realize those don't have a square look to them but the proposed building is more square with what looked like slight curvature on the sides

Disclaimer: I had a few beers myself before viewing

Edited by brijonmang

See the attached tower. See the part butting out? The form of this Stream tower is the same in that sense but the part butting out is curved, sort or like a sail and of course that part that butts out comes to a point at the top, like a sail. However, once the sail part reaches above the boxed portion, the top "finned" part seems to encompass and include the entire area of a floor plate. Out of the four corners, the fin climbs to one point. Kind of like pulling up one corner of a blanket sprawled out on a floor.

Sorry if that is confusing, English is my first language :P

post-723-0-35262900-1373764994.jpg

• Like 2

Why are they so secretive with the design and why are they so late, when compared to the other proposals? Aren't all of these buildings racing to secure potential  tenants?

If this design is the best, then why are they holding it back?

I agree I think the 80,s alot of these companies moved at break neck speed to build then the bust happened, and now it has created some kind of fear in the back of their minds which are casuing them to drag their feet... The first time they moved to fast could this time they move to slow ??

What Montrose said but I would say closer to the second ones with their sharper features and more squarish footprint. I realize those don't have a square look to them but the proposed building is more square with what looked like slight curvature on the sides

Disclaimer: I had a few beers myself before viewing

very cool, i like the sharp edges on the 2nd one. 

See the attached tower. See the part butting out? The form of this Stream tower is the same in that sense but the part butting out is curved, sort or like a sail and of course that part that butts out comes to a point at the top, like a sail. However, once the sail part reaches above the boxed portion, the top "finned" part seems to encompass and include the entire area of a floor plate. Out of the four corners, the fin climbs to one point. Kind of like pulling up one corner of a blanket sprawled out on a floor.

Sorry if that is confusing, English is my first language :P

haha wow. i think i follow you. would you agree it looks like a squared base version of the second tower? only 3 of the 4 sides curve in, correct?

what you mean for the top of the roof is more like this (assuming this front corner is taller than the others and its not just perspective).. but the corners curved in not pointed out?

Image_3_TheeAe_LTD.jpg

i also found a spiney/fish fin-ish building in my google searches for curved roof skyscrapers, though i doubt it looks anything like this..

sky31.gife

• Like 1

Yes, the top is very similar in form to the first image you posted.

The second one does look similar, but turn it on its axis 90 degrees to lay flat.

i really hope this gets built. i only have a vague idea of what it looks like but it sounds very cool and much more appealing then say 5AC. plus Houston could use nice lighting on more buildings at night.

I'll have to count later, but yes I think so.

I mentioned this a few months ago but it is no longer 50 stories; it's down to magical 41.

• Like 1

Yes, the top is very similar in form to the first image you posted.

The second one does look similar, but turn it on its axis 90 degrees to lay flat.

Looks like HAIF needs another night out so those of us who didn't get to see the image the first time around can take a gander ;)

• Like 1

Looks like HAIF needs another night out so those of us who didn't get to see the image the first time around can take a gander ;)

Well now you're just trying to use Lockmat...

Well now you're just trying to use Lockmat...

Haha isn't that the name of the game on this thread for all of us who haven't seen it yet

I'm gonna guess this one will never gonna get out of the ground or take a very long time (5 years/new buyer) if they haven't gone public by now in 2013. It might be too early to tell that 2014 will see belt tightening and higher rates, but it seems that the development pipeline will ebb for conservative absorption concerns as per what's being channeled through the media now.

Edited by infinite_jim