Jump to content
lockmat

One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower for Block 43

Recommended Posts

Per a previous post, based on nothing but a feeling, I feel like this building will be the next skyscraper to go vertical. It doesn't make much sense in my mind (of course I'm not well versed in this sort of stuff) that they'd build a garage with the name-sake of the proposed building if they weren't actively trying to find tenants and get this thing to go skyward. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hines ordered to pay up over tunnel dispute

 

http://m.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Jury-verdict-rendered-in-downtown-tunnel-case-12556828.php#photo-10105698

 

A Houston jury has awarded more than $200,000 to a downtown property owner in a dispute over access to the pedestrian tunnels that circulate beneath the city center.



 

The verdict late last week came in a 2016 lawsuit between Theater Square, an entity associated with the Linbeck construction company, which owns a block on the north end of downtown, and the current and previous owners of the former Houston Chronicle building site.

 

Hearst Newspapers, the Chronicle's parent company, sold its building at 801 Texas in October 2015. The buyer was Block 58 Investors, an entity affiliated with Hines.
 

The Linbeck entity subsequently sued Hines and Hearst, saying it intends to build a high-rise on its property and wanted to protect access to the tunnel system through an existing basement corridor.

 

Theater Square, which sought damages and attorneys' fees, said Block 58 and Hearst interfered with its rights regarding an agreement stating it owned easements through the basement of the former Chronicle building for purposes of constructing a tunnel.

 

The agreement, it said, was put in place in late 2007 with Hearst and it remained binding with subsequent owners.

 

The court issued an order prohibiting Block 58 from damaging the corridor for the tunnel system through the Chronicle basement.

 

Block 58 later filed a list of claims against Theater Square, demanding reimbursement for costs incurred by protecting the corridor during demolition and other costs incurred during the legal proceedings.

 

The jury verdict in the case, which was heard in state District Judge Wesley Ward's court, said Block 58 was required to pay Theater Square the $211,058. The jury found Hearst not liable.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, Urbannizer said:

 

Very cool. Didn't know Vietnamese were involved in this project. My fiancee is Vietnamese and translated each page for me. Nothing really newsworthy... just the standard things we know.. floor count, location, etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

I tend to not support businesses that open in Dallas before Houston. Am I the only one? Am I wrong? 

 

Agree. There’s a number of austin and Dallas concepts that invade Houston. I’m not aware of many that do the reverse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So right and completely rational. 

 

If I lived is DTX or ATX I would refuse to eat at anything from the Pappas, Landry's, Carabba's ... .. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burgers, Tacos, and Pizza.

 

Seems like we get a new one of the above every few months in this part of DT.  I do love them all but damn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be argumentative, but why do you all care whether an eating place opens up here first  or in Dallas,  Austin, etc?   Doesn't food quality and customer service outrank those others. Please enlighten me on this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they both suck so hard that nothing of quality can possibly come from either one of those boring cesspools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Not to be argumentative, but why do you all care whether an eating place opens up here first  or in Dallas,  Austin, etc?   Doesn't food quality and customer service outrank those others. Please enlighten me on this issue.

 

If you believe that a restaurant and food should reflect the local aesthetic and have a sense of place, then it should originate from where it is located. If restaurants can just cut and paste the format, design and food and place their business anywhere, it's just generic and sort of bland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downtownian said:

 

Agree. There’s a number of austin and Dallas concepts that invade Houston. I’m not aware of many that do the reverse. 

 

There's older chains like the Pappa's and Landry's brands, but that stuff doesn't count for much these days. The Mandola's eateries in Austin are basically a Houston export, but no one realizes it. There is still an Antone's location in Dallas that has been there for over 50 years. They seem to exist only for longtime patrons and get by with zero advertising, which I think has always been the Antone's business model.

 

Otherwise I think you're essentially right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

I tend to not support businesses that open in Dallas before Houston. Am I the only one? Am I wrong? 

Well, I for one, completely agree with you.  I get so sick of the whole "dallas" thing in this country anyway.  As if !  And, yes, Houston is way way bigger with a much more diverse and agreeable population and cosmopolitan feel.  But, I digest...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not bashing Dallas but I've grown tired of being excited about a new restaurant or retail establishment opening in Houston then to see it has already had locations in Dallas for years before they decided to expand here. This new burger place for example has a California office and a Dallas office. If we are the food capital of the southwest, why aren't most of these places Houston based. I know N and Out burger will eventually expand here but I feel they should have opened Houston locations first. Of I'm wrong I'm opened to correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In-N-Out's model is predicated on shipping fresh beef from their own distribution centers.  Generally, they do not ship more than 500 miles from such centers.  A 500 mile circle around Dallas captures Houston, San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans (pushing the edge of it by road), Kansas City (again pushing it), Oklahoma City, and Memphis, Tennessee.  St. Louis and Nashville are only a short distance outside the 500 mile circle and could probably be reached with effective shipping runs.  A 500 mile circle around Houston leaves out Kansas City, Nashville, St. Louis and related markets.  Geographically, for businesses that rely on distribution in the U.S., Dallas will typically win out over Houston.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

In-N-Out's model is predicated on shipping fresh beef from their own distribution centers.  Generally, they do not ship more than 500 miles from such centers.  A 500 mile circle around Dallas captures Houston, San Antonio, Austin, New Orleans (pushing the edge of it by road), Kansas City (again pushing it), Oklahoma City, and Memphis, Tennessee.  St. Louis and Nashville are only a short distance outside the 500 mile circle and could probably be reached with effective shipping runs.  A 500 mile circle around Houston leaves out Kansas City, Nashville, St. Louis and related markets.  Geographically, for businesses that rely on distribution in the U.S., Dallas will typically win out over Houston.

I feel that distribution center shouldve been built here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Don't get me wrong,  I'm not bashing Dallas but I've grown tired of being excited about a new restaurant or retail establishment opening in Houston then to see it has already had locations in Dallas for years before they decided to expand here. This new burger place for example has a California office and a Dallas office. If we are the food capital of the southwest, why aren't most of these places Houston based. I know N and Out burger will eventually expand here but I feel they should have opened Houston locations first. Of I'm wrong I'm opened to correction.

 

DFW will typically get out-of-state chains first. They are a slightly bigger market but, more importantly, they are perceived as being "more mainstream," which may or may not mean "more white." Being geographically more central helps reinforce this "mainstream" image and makes it seem less risky to expand there. Also, retailers tend to like the safety and stability of zoning laws, even while developers do not like them.

 

All of these same factors make Houston more offbeat, diverse, international, local. We are more of a modern New Orleans, they are more of a modern St. Louis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notwithsanding that they started in San Antonio, we have HEB where Dallas does not yet, apart from its southern outskirts, so you win some, you lose some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

Notwithsanding that they started in San Antonio, we have HEB where Dallas does not yet, apart from its southern outskirts, so you win some, you lose some. 

 

I think this is because every store HEB opens there is a Central Market. Whereas they think the Houston metro can only handle one Central Market location. I do like the non-CM HEB stores though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

 

Great article! Interesting to see one of the Pappas family interviewed. I was just at a big get-together with in-laws in Dallas last week and when everyone wanted fajitas, I influenced them to choose Pappasito's, which was very well received. And I was thinking... the nearest location was on 75 in Richardson, which was a good spot maybe 20 years ago, and there were no locations in all of North Dallas beyond that. Seems like they have slowed down on expansion quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

 

I think this is because every store HEB opens there is a Central Market. Whereas they think the Houston metro can only handle one Central Market location. I do like the non-CM HEB stores though.

 

 

Forgot about those, must be a strategy thing with them. I'm pretty sure West U/River Oaks/Upper Kirby alone could support a clone of the Central Market it already has, parking seems to be the limiting factor there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 4:46 PM, Nate99 said:

 

Forgot about those, must be a strategy thing with them. I'm pretty sure West U/River Oaks/Upper Kirby alone could support a clone of the Central Market it already has, parking seems to be the limiting factor there. 

 

Yes, in Houston HEB has developed a lot of "HEB Market" stores, which are a cross between a regular HEB and Central Market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a bit too imposing for that square. I think something between the height of Aris and height of Texas Tower will work here. This building wants to be on that vacant lot that we all want a super tall to go in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is the new design it is such a tease in height, could easily be the new tallest

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Seems a bit too imposing for that square. I think something between the height of Aris and height of Texas Tower will work here. This building wants to be on that vacant lot that we all want a super tall to go in.

Ask the building. Maybe it wants to be in Midtown. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EllenOlenska said:

lol thicc indeed. I love it. It's like something out of Brazil. It's like the Chinese consulate on stilts. 

 

Thats the thing. I like the design. Definitely more of an approach you would see in South America or in Asia which would be really cool to see. If we are going to get foreign investment in new towers I would like there to be some influence of where they come from seep into there designs. Would create a interesting range of styles and approaches.

 

1 minute ago, EllenOlenska said:

Ask the building. Maybe it wants to be in Midtown. 

 

We do this all the time as designers. Its like we are part psychologists where we ask the building to lay on a sofa and tell us what the want and need. We are a weird breed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Old design?

 

 

Well, the video was just uploaded 2 weeks ago and that rendering even includes the new Preston construction next door.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Includes the Preston?  Don't see that.  I don't even see BG Group tower.  The Post Office was still a post office. 

The video was showcasing the subject's range of expertise and has nothing to do with the actual content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Includes the Preston?  Don't see that.  I don't even see BG Group tower.  The Post Office was still a post office. 

The video was showcasing the subject's range of expertise and has nothing to do with the actual content. 

The Preston construction.

 

So looking even closer, that may just be the old run down parking garage. It appears the Houston Chron building is still standing so this may indeed be old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think it's an old design or another building model swapped into the rendering to showcase Render Spot's capabilities. It looks like several newer buildings are missing from this skyline (Aris, 609 Main, 811 Main, Bank of America Tower) and the old Chronicle building and garage are still there. Also, this building appears to use the entire site, which now contains Phase I (the parking garage). I'm betting Linbeck isn't in a hurry to tear down their newly completed garage, so however the new building is designed it will probably fit in the footprint of the existing surface parking lot next to the garage.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2015 at 1:00 AM, Urbannizer said:

Here's some purty renderings:

 

7793769d5a33b6e6102f627464355f39.jpg

 

bb59f55a1e54238ffbb8b29abfe002e4.jpg

 

52a6ab52b533f9b08752387799ff8ded.jpg

 

d4985cc2a2c05772d38c1ef446140486.jpg

 

Here's the real thing, from 4+ years ago... (h/t Urb)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed" (should this go under "On-The-Market & Rumors" since we don't know if this still truely an active proposal?). For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

 

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Urbannizer said:

Proposed - there's still active listings online for this one.

 

I'll leave it on proposed then. Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...