One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agree with montrose. Would fiit well with the skyline...But, at an expense with the streetscape. Last in my preference for proposed office towers. Hotel/residential/mixed use much better here. Especially combined with Chronicle's old place just behind.

The Chronicle building is on sale, and may be demolished.

Agree with montrose. Would fiit well with the skyline...But, at an expense with the streetscape. Last in my preference for proposed office towers. Hotel/residential/mixed use much better here. Especially combined with Chronicle's old place just behind.

In simcity free-mode, this tower should go on the chronicle block (giving the Chase Tower a shoulder), leaving this prime market square block free for residential. A better option for a Ritz with residences than any other available block next to Discovery Green. Oh well... all in good time I suppose.

I like to theorize what I would do from time to time. I think my preference would be to shift this building to the Houston Chronicle property. Then on this property build something like the W Hotel around union square in NYC. Trendy but respctfull of the historical nature of the area.  I think that would be better for the streetscape and also further help support some of the bars and restaurants in the area. This would also place the the Stream/Exxex building next to the JPMorgan Chase tower which I think would look better than a gap between them. Just my fictional two cents.

• Like 1

I actually like the location of the building, but agree about concerns with the local streetscape. That said, I think a vibrant streetsscpae could still be implemented with a few tweaks to the building's first level or two...but I understand that's not exactly realistic. I just think its current location really balances the skyline well. Just my two cents.

I like to theorize what I would do from time to time. I think my preference would be to shift this building to the Houston Chronicle property. Then on this property build something like the W Hotel around union square in NYC. Trendy but respctfull of the historical nature of the area. I think that would be better for the streetscape and also further help support some of the bars and restaurants in the area. This would also place the the Stream/Exxex building next to the JPMorgan Chase tower which I think would look better than a gap between them. Just my fictional two cents.

From an aesthetic standpoint, this would be very nice.

Notice this says International TowerS. Any validity to that? Not that I'm confident they could even pull off at this point in time.

http://marketsquareretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Houston-Skyline-Aerial.pdf

Eh, nevermind. Looks like this company is just being careless. On this map, they incorrectly marked the location of the project.

http://marketsquareretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Downtown-Houston-Development-Map.pdf

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I feel like the lot in front of Frank's Pizza would be a prime spot for our version of a space needle or some sort of monumental building

Please no. Why would you want a cheesy tower to overtake the skyline? I'm asking sincerely. 

The building that was slated for that lot, international tower, would be a monumental building.

International Tower was a design Houston has seen very little of, but certainly not monumental (as in some grandiose monument the city would gain world recognition for). As far as size goes for the term monumental, then yes, it would have been. Maybe not compared to it's immediate neighbors, but still a big building.

• Like 1

I feel like the lot in front of Frank's Pizza would be a prime spot for our version of a space needle or some sort of monumental building

The building that was slated for that lot, international tower, would be a monumental building.

hmmmmmmm... 

how about scaling up the Market Square clock tower to take up that entire block?

622x350.jpg

(**cue:  music from Jaws)

• Like 1

Please no. Why would you want a cheesy tower to overtake the skyline? I'm asking sincerely. 

International Tower was a design Houston has seen very little of, but certainly not monumental (as in some grandiose monument the city would gain world recognition for). As far as size goes for the term monumental, then yes, it would have been. Maybe not compared to it's immediate neighbors, but still a big building.

Why does it have to be cheesy? It doesn't have to be a space needle, I'm just saying something that will anchor our skyline a bit more. 

• Like 1

:rolleyes: i guess we just have different opinions of "monumental"? when i think monumental i think of city defining structure. the Empire State Building, Gateway Arch, Eiffel Tower, ect.. International Tower wouldn't be that defining of a structure.

i think the flashy rendering and color changing LEDs down the side alter peoples perceptions of an otherwise fairly simple design?

• Like 2