lockmat

One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower for Block 43

Off topic much?

So to the person who kicked the can over, what else can you give us? When standing at the base of this structure, will we have to bend our necks higher than 45 degrees to see the top?! :)

I'd hope you'd have to bend your neck more than 45° up - standing on the edge of a ten foot sidewalk, that's only a 10 foot high building.  I think even a CFA is taller

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

I may be officially against no zoning.

If your goal is to eliminate parking garages, having zoning is neither necessary nor sufficient.

• Like 3

Judge gives temporary protection in downtown tunnel case

A judge has ruled that the tunnel corridor between the former Houston Chronicle building and a neighboring property cannot be destroyed during any demolition or construction at the site.

The temporary injunction is the latest development in a legal dispute between the property owners over access to downtown's vital tunnel system.

State District Judge Wesley Ward last month granted temporary protection for the tunnel corridor, at least until the matter is settled at trial in January. Theater Square would be responsible for any protective costs in the interim. Earlier this month, the group posted a $468,000 bond for that purpose.

The order requires Hines to keep Theater Square apprised of its construction plans and give at least 10 days to raise objections to any specific work. After protective work is performed, Theater Square would have to reimburse Hines within 20 days.

According to court documents, the temporary injunction, "is not intended to prohibit Block 58 (Hines) from designing and constructing a new building on the Chronicle tract."

I find this whole thing very interesting. Seems their big idea fell through early on, but they have something real going with little marketing.

48 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I find this whole thing very interesting. Seems their big idea fell through early on, but they have something real going with little marketing.

History repeats itself. Heritage Plaza? Unless our anonymous insiders are being hush for a reason.

I have the same question - is there some sort of recent rendering of this "tower" ?  Would love to find out if my wishful thinking of a real skyscraper would be realized, but not counting on it :)

9 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

@Triton A parking structure with retail on the southern half of the block. No tower for now..

nm

Edited by H-Town Man

Southern half of the surface lot is taped off. Looks like scraping may commence soon.   This was on the Travis side sidewalk.

3590bys.jpg

• Like 8

From

3 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Southern half of the surface lot is taped off. Looks like scraping may commence soon.   This was on the Travis side sidewalk.

3590bys.jpg

Hmmmm... between this and Aris, using Travis to get to Market Square from the south on foot looks to be pretty much a non starter for a while.

I don't know if it's the same spot but I saw the same thing a few weeks ago and all they did was cut out a very small section of the parking lot leading me to think it would just be a storage area.

check that. Just saw you posted that 5 hours ago. Did you see the boundaries of the line?

Edited by lockmat

12 hours ago, lockmat said:

I don't know if it's the same spot but I saw the same thing a few weeks ago and all they did was cut out a very small section of the parking lot leading me to think it would just be a storage area.

check that. Just saw you posted that 5 hours ago. Did you see the boundaries of the line?

I don't really recall. They moved the pay kiosk for the surface lot and had some new signage directing parkers to it, so in addition to half the lot being taped off, it looked like they were re-aligning for some kind of semi-permanent change.

• Like 1

Just to add: they have removed the poles that formerly held up the crosswalk signals on the Prairie side of the block on both ends. Once the Chronicle demo gets to that side of the block, Prairie will be cut off to pedestrians.

Does anyone have any other details such as the height of the garage, whether it will be covered like the one at Texas and Main or an  open one where cars and cables are visible?

I'm sure metal detectors and archaeologists would be interested in what they might find amongst the rubble!

• Like 2

Went to vote today and the construction in just a few block radius was crazy.

609 main,  chronicle building, Market square tower, Aris,  theater square, Franklin garage.  

Was excited when I saw activity on this theater square lot but after reading the last few pages got disappointed again.

• Like 1

Some folks were building a rebar frame for a piling reinforcement already on the site. It was big too, probably 30-40 feet in length, maybe 3-4 feet in diameter.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

This is just going to be a parking garage right? 

For the time being, unless there's some other announcement that came in under the radar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sanjorade said:

Is this a project where they build the garage first and then the building at a later point?

Capitol tower is the other project

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 3:22 PM, samagon said:

the bottom section of the crane is in place, I think they need to pour concrete for it though.

c9Pip9d.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Houston? said:

What's being built here again?

A multi story parking garage for now.

• Like 1