One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

What Montrose said but I would say closer to the second ones with their sharper features and more squarish footprint. I realize those don't have a square look to them but the proposed building is more square with what looked like slight curvature on the sides

Disclaimer: I had a few beers myself before viewing

very cool, i like the sharp edges on the 2nd one. 

See the attached tower. See the part butting out? The form of this Stream tower is the same in that sense but the part butting out is curved, sort or like a sail and of course that part that butts out comes to a point at the top, like a sail. However, once the sail part reaches above the boxed portion, the top "finned" part seems to encompass and include the entire area of a floor plate. Out of the four corners, the fin climbs to one point. Kind of like pulling up one corner of a blanket sprawled out on a floor.

Sorry if that is confusing, English is my first language :P

haha wow. i think i follow you. would you agree it looks like a squared base version of the second tower? only 3 of the 4 sides curve in, correct?

what you mean for the top of the roof is more like this (assuming this front corner is taller than the others and its not just perspective).. but the corners curved in not pointed out?

Image_3_TheeAe_LTD.jpg

i also found a spiney/fish fin-ish building in my google searches for curved roof skyscrapers, though i doubt it looks anything like this..

sky31.gife

• Like 1

Yes, the top is very similar in form to the first image you posted.

The second one does look similar, but turn it on its axis 90 degrees to lay flat.

Looks like HAIF needs another night out so those of us who didn't get to see the image the first time around can take a gander ;)

• Like 1

I'm gonna guess this one will never gonna get out of the ground or take a very long time (5 years/new buyer) if they haven't gone public by now in 2013. It might be too early to tell that 2014 will see belt tightening and higher rates, but it seems that the development pipeline will ebb for conservative absorption concerns as per what's being channeled through the media now.

Edited by infinite_jim

Looks like you posted the wrong link Fortune

It's the right link, it's just deeper in the article.

Moving forward

Developers planning an office tower on the northern end of downtown haven't put shovels in the ground yet, but some recently patched holes on the site reveal the group is moving forward with its proposal.

The holes were part of a geotechnical study on the land.

Before any tall building is constructed, holes are drilled into the ground to collect soil samples that provide guidance for designing the foundation.

The site is next to Market Square Park and is bordered by Preston, Prairie, Milam and Travis.

Civil engineer Edward Ulrich, whose firm conducted the geotechnical study, compares the different components of engineering a skyscraper to the human body.

"The architect designs the skin. The structural engineer designs the bones. The mechanical engineer designs the circulation. My job as a foundation engineer is to design your feet," said Ulrich, of Houston-based Ulrich Engineers.

The proposed tower would be developed by Essex Commercial Properties, the real estate firm affiliated with general contracting firm Linbeck Group, and Stream Realty Partners.

Essex president Eugene Lee said the developers are exploring ideas that would enhance the area's pedestrian and retail environment.

"We're hoping we can be an additional catalyst around Market Square Park," he said.

A start date has not been set for the project, which could have 750,000 square feet.

• Like 1

Moving forward

Developers planning an office tower on the northern end of downtown haven't put shovels in the ground yet, but some recently patched holes on the site reveal the group is moving forward with its proposal.

The holes were part of a geotechnical study on the land.

Before any tall building is constructed, holes are drilled into the ground to collect soil samples that provide guidance for designing the foundation.

The site is next to Market Square Park and is bordered by Preston, Prairie, Milam and Travis.

Civil engineer Edward Ulrich, whose firm conducted the geotechnical study, compares the different components of engineering a skyscraper to the human body.

"The architect designs the skin. The structural engineer designs the bones. The mechanical engineer designs the circulation. My job as a foundation engineer is to design your feet," said Ulrich, of Houston-based Ulrich Engineers.

The proposed tower would be developed by Essex Commercial Properties, the real estate firm affiliated with general contracting firm Linbeck Group, and Stream Realty Partners.

Essex president Eugene Lee said the developers are exploring ideas that would enhance the area's pedestrian and retail environment.

"We're hoping we can be an additional catalyst around Market Square Park," he said.

A start date has not been set for the project, which could have 750,000 square feet.

that is great news. have they done ground work at the Skanska tower yet? i would guess not since the Houston Club is there. would this mean this tower is further along than the Skanska tower? i really hope this one gets built.

• Like 1

any idea when the soil testing was done? the whole site is a concrete parking lot and i drove by today to look for evidence of the work but could only guess that maybe a couple patches in the surface were where they drilled the holes? the concrete in the patches didnt look that new though.