One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

• 2 weeks later...

Think it could have anything to do with the crown? Maybe to show it would have the height of a 46 story building and make Hines' apartment tower look shorter in comparison. Would make their apartment tower look shorter because without it(and the apartment tower now proposed on Block 35) it would be the tallest building for a couple blocks around the park. If not it seems like the floor count of a proposed tower changes every other week.

Edited by ClutchCity

• 1 month later...

Most of this is not shocking news, we knew going in the first one off the ground would reduce demand for the others... My bet maybe one more gets off the ground before the other developers shelve thier plans at least for now..

So who do most thing will get off the ground next ? I am hoping it is Exxsex who has the most intresting design even more so than 609..  so who do you think will be the next to drop shovel?

Most of this is not shocking news, we knew going in the first one off the ground would reduce demand for the others... My bet maybe one more gets off the ground before the other developers shelve thier plans at least for now..

So who do most thing will get off the ground next ? I am hoping it is Exxsex who has the most intresting design even more so than 609.. so who do you think will be the next to drop shovel?

Skanska seems committed to the site, so although it might not happen in the next couple years it appears they'll do something within the next 5. I'm interested to know what Stream means when they say they are "working on it". They've been marketing the tower for a couple years now, so hopefully they are close to signing some tenants!

Skanska better get off the ground. Tearing down the Houston Club only to leave an empty lot, even if just for 5 years, would be a major disappointment.

Yes and across the street from our tallest. I mean we aren't Dallas for crying out loud. Just kidding. But if this project and the one on the Macy's lot don't come to fruitation it will be a huge let down. I have faith in this project though, it grew a couple floors.

I doubt a 260 unit, 4 floor, wood framed apartment complex on the other side of the tracks (so to speak) is keeping a company from breaking ground on a $150,000,000 40+ floor commercial office building.

EADO Station was canceled because that developer felt they could make a greater return on investment over near the TMC.  That has zero to do with Stream Realty and their plans on the Stream/Essex Tower.

Eado station was cancelled. I mentioned it was the tip of the iceberg.

How is it the tip of the iceberg when we already know that some of the propseed building whould not get built, and that those that struck , first and second would corner the market , this was not unexpected which makes you tip of the ice berg comment absurd....It was never a question of if all of them gets built, but which ones would.

• 1 month later...

^Hines got out in front.  Oh well (that happens)  Perhaps Stream/Essex will decide to move forward with a mixed use tower?  Would make sense.  Keeping the floor count the same they could go:  1 level retail (at ground), 7 levels of office, 22 floors of residential, and 16 floors of hotel at the top?

Not any information on 46-story International Tower.  It seems it is cancelled since Hines is moving along.

the last update which was just over a month ago, confirmed that the project is still in-development.

"After the Hines announcement, Stream said the company is “still excited” about its project and is “working on it;” however it was not ready to announce anything."

Edited by invisibletrees

the last update which was just over a month ago, confirmed that the project is still in-development.

"After the Hines announcement, Stream said the company is “still excited” about its project and is “working on it;” however it was not ready to announce anything."

You are right the  Nov 19  plan from the city still list this project and we knew hines was going thu with their plans in aug

^This project can still be "active" or "moving forward" but until we see ground moving and a crane going up it may as well be nothing at all - since that is precisely what a building that is proposed is.

And people on this board keep asking: "What does Hines have to do with it?"

Simple - Hines is one of the global leaders in commercial real estate/development.  When they announce that they are going to build a new 40+ floor building just a few blocks from where you propose the same why wouldn't you (and your investors) would take notice?

Until I see actual construction activity or a ground breaking, its just "on the boards," because I'm a natural pessimist.

Arche - certainly local activity in the market will have an effect on the developers. I'll be sorry if this tower gets scrapped. However, I'm with you. I'd much rather see a mixed use development at this local. It would add a lot more around the clock activity in an area which is developing that way. A hotel component here, on the edge of the Theater District as well as nightlife/dining scene of Market Square, would be ideal. Not to mention that it's just two blocks from both rail corridors. It's where I'd like to stay. A big showcase Office building would be nice to look at on the skyline...but I'd prefer hotel, residential mixed use use.

• Like 2

It could be that Pennzoil Place has 500,000 square feet for lease.  I believe Hines does have a tenant, hopefully Pennzoil Place will get leased.  This could be why Stream/ Essex is on hold. 

This is not on hold, so don't say it is unless you having info proving so. Again, it's only been a little over a month since the last update and soil testing was done back in July. I'm sure Stream Realty was well aware that Hines would be the first out of the ground. Things take time.