"Seeing" Houston

In the past five years, I have explored Houston more than I have any other major city, and more than passing through on highways or the Museum District.

Uptown. Downtown. Greater Third Ward. Port of Houston. The Heights. Upper Kirby. Montrose. Spring Branch. Sharpstown. Little Saigon. Gulfgate. Gulfton. Far more than an average tourist, certainly.

But I have to ask: have I seen enough to see what Houston is like? The neighborhoods in Houston are wildly diverse, something College Station is not.

Just one of the mysteries of life, I s'pose...

I don't see Rice University/Med Center/Braeswood/West U on your list. You should explore more of the SW inner loop area. You should also check out Hermann Park (go to Miller Outdoor Theatre for a show) and the Museum District.

Some things have changed, they did get running water in the 1980s.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Bordersville out by IAH? Acres Homes did rely on wells for a long time. My great grandfather dug many wells in Acres Homes in the early days, but Acres Home had city and county services by the early to mid 70s. Bordersville, on the other hand, was annexed by Houston in 1965, but didn't receive running water until 1981.

Trying to see if there's anywhere that I didn't mention: the immediate IAH area (2011), part of the 5th Ward, technically, at a Burger King off the highway (circa 2010?), outside the Hunters Creek Village area (2013), north of Memorial City (2008), northwest of Memorial City (2006)...

Acres Homes, it's a time capsule as some streets still look as they did in the 1950s.

No, do not suggest the OP just casually drive around Acres Homes. That's a recipe for getting in trouble. I did a police ride-along there and it has some very dangerous parts. Yes, there are tons of incredibly nice people... but there are also people that will not hesitate to hurt you for what you have.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Bordersville out by IAH? Acres Homes did rely on wells for a long time. My great grandfather dug many wells in Acres Homes in the early days, but Acres Home had city and county services by the early to mid 70s. Bordersville, on the other hand, was annexed by Houston in 1965, but didn't receive running water until 1981.

I was thinking of Acres Homes, but I guess my information was wrong (I think I read it on wikipedia a few years ago).

Some places that haven't been listed as seen, but I think are very interesting to see...

I'll keep it short, head east of the city. Traveling down Richey road, you really feel like you're no where near as close to Houston as you really are, it's really a different place. Deer Park. 

Even closer in, take a ride down Navigation, maybe Wayside.

If you want to explore the (unique) exurbs some.... Richmond/Rosenberg. Make your way down to Seabrook, Kemah, Bacliff.

Hell, just hop on highway 90 alt out at Richmond and follow the alt 90 signs to the other side of Houston.

No, do not suggest the OP just casually drive around Acres Homes. That's a recipe for getting in trouble. I did a police ride-along there and it has some very dangerous parts. Yes, there are tons of incredibly nice people... but there are also people that will not hesitate to hurt you for what you have.

I would think that the OP has common sense and a sense of caution. You have to be cautious where ever you go, not just the hood. People get robbed and hurt in Katy and the Woodlands, too.

I didn't last the suburbs because that's not technically Houston per se. When I meet people who say they're from Houston, I have to grill them again to see if they're actually from Houston. Cypress, Katy, Spring, and Sugar Land don't really count in that aspect (but sometimes I do hit true positives!)

Try going to the Super H Mart at Westview and Blalock. It's a large Korean grocery store with a food court. After that you can drive west on Westview and hit some more Korean places or drive south to I-10 to 99 Ranch Market, a Chinese grocery store that also has a food court.

But I have to ask: have I seen enough to see what Houston is like? The neighborhoods in Houston are wildly diverse, something College Station is not.

In short, no. You can't see enough of a city as large and diverse as this one. A lifetime is insufficient - especially in a city that is as ever-evolving as Houston.

A longer answer is (as is usual) 'it depends'. What do you mean by "[H]ave I seen enough to see what Houston is like?" Architecture? People? Food? Art? Industry? Sports? In what aspect of the city do you have an interest?

Archived