Bryan Development News

Scotch

Sure do... lived here for 40-plus years. I've been lurking on this board for a while and occasionally posting. Get lots of good news about local development. It's very interesting to me, as I live in Austin's Colony and work very closely with the above-mentioned insurance agency.

Anco is over by the BCS Eagle building right now isn't it?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see an update!

Do you think The new theater will be more popular than Hollywood Theater? I do. I just seems like the time will never come when the will open.

Thats a weird looking business center. I think an 8 story building instead of 8 seperate buildings would be better.

I think the new theater will take business away from Cinemark, but not be more popular - unless you live in Bryan. I can't see people in Pebble Creek, Castlegate, and other subdivisions in the Rock Prairie/Greens Prairie area continuing to travel to Bryan to the new theater and pass by Cinemark - this would be after the "new" wears off, of course. Even folks in Tiffany Park and Copperfield are just as close to Cinemark as they are to the new Premiere Cinema. My family will definitely be going to the new theater, as we are within walking distance!

The new theatre will have a grand entrance. I couldn't really see it until tonight when I passed by directly infront of it, but it will have more "curb appeal" than Cinemark. A strip of retail has gone up beside the new Kroger Signature location within the past week. Part of the draw of the new theatre will be different show times for the same movies. Also, having two theatres in town should allow Cinemark to bring in independent films as the need for all screens to show blockbusters will be reduced.

I remember a time in town When we had movie theaters everywhere. Schulman Theaters use to be king here. Before Cinemark announced the new theater, Schulman announced that they would build a theater across the street with a hotel and several resturants. Cinemark said theat they would have (I think) 3 resturants on the lot of the center, but I have not heard anything about those latley. Hopefully its Hooters, Joes Crab Shack, and (what else is resonable that we don't have) Ruby Tuesadys???? I have been seeing there comercials alot latley on TV.

For new fast food resturants I would like to see:

Carl's Jr

White Castle

Dunkin' Donuts

Sure do... lived here for 40-plus years. I've been lurking on this board for a while and occasionally posting. Get lots of good news about local development. It's very interesting to me, as I live in Austin's Colony and work very closely with the above-mentioned insurance agency.

I'm curious if anyone at Anco has heard who is locating in the first building to be completed at Williamsburg in Park Hudson....the lot adjacent to the future Anco site. They might be slightly interested. ;)

Is it State Farm? Another insurance company should be able to co-exist fine in the same area given the nature of the business.

Well, its not State Farm but it is another independent agency. Scotch is right that given the nature of the insurance game the location of one agency next to another probably won't have much of an effect one way or another. However, the powers that be at Anco might find this slighly interesting because the agency locating in the building already under construction, next door is owned by a former salesman at Anco and his partner is a former President of Anco.

Well, its not State Farm but it is another independent agency. Scotch is right that given the nature of the insurance game the location of one agency next to another probably won't have much of an effect one way or another. However, the powers that be at Anco might find this slighly interesting because the agency locating in the building already under construction, next door is owned by a former salesman at Anco and his partner is a former President of Anco.

Service Insurance Group???

Sorry, but that is not true. I have it on very good authority that the new tenants of that building are a medical group.

No, I'm sorry but whoever told you that was either mistaken or talking about another building. The developer is building 8 so maybe they meant one of the others. The building currently under construction at the corner of Corporate Center & Cross Park is most definitely SIG. There is a local doctor looking at pieces of land further down Cross Park and on the Pendleton side.

Has anyone heard an update about the "Entertainment Complex" that was supposed to begin construction 2 months ago. The Bowling/Laser Tag/Mini Golf development near the new theater?

Mabe that decided not to build. I have not heard anything. But bowling? How boring, I was thinking more of a gaming place with all video games.

Has anyone heard an update about the "Entertainment Complex" that was supposed to begin construction 2 months ago. The Bowling/Laser Tag/Mini Golf development near the new theater?

I was a little curious about that myself. Personally, I don't think that's the best use of that land but I guess its better than nothing. I haven't heard anything since original newspaper article. Maybe its gone by the wayside like the Schulman proposal.

• 1 month later...

Bryan ready to welcome several new developments

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

New development in Bryan - including a coffee shop in downtown and a grocery store and movie theater along North Earl Rudder Freeway - will be open for business within months.

The LaSalle Cafe will be the first of several new businesses to open this year in Bryan. The shop, which will offer Starbucks coffee products, is scheduled to open at the end of January, said John Hendry, executive director of the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association.

Meanwhile, tentative plans are under way for a coffee shop in the Tejas Center, at the corner of Texas Avenue and Villa Maria Road, center developer Jack Culpepper said. Although a signed agreement is not yet in place, plans now call for a new building that would be shared by a Starbucks coffee shop and Brazos Valley Bank.

"I would say sometime within the first quarter of [2006]," the agreement will be signed, with an opening date planned for sometime later in the year, Culpepper said.

A development boom also is occurring at North Earl Rudder Freeway and Boonville Road.

Premiere Cinemas is building a 16-screen movie theater that will open in late spring or early summer. A 70,000-square-foot Kroger grocery store, slated for completion in the summer, is under construction adjacent to the theater.

Cencor Realty's $4 million Kroger development also includes another 26,000-square-foot building that will be used for retail, said Bryan's director of planning and development, Kevin Russell.

Cotton Patch Cafe has committed to opening a location in the area, and other businesses are likely to follow, officials say.

The development spark in Bryan is a result of demand from residents, said Dennis Goehring, executive director of the Bryan Business Council. The business council has helped with some of the negotiations.

"It's just this simple: Success breeds success," Goehring said. "Things are moving along, and one thing piggybacks on another. You have different spokes of synergy in the economic wheel."

One example of development luring other businesses is an entertainment complex called Boonville Station, which announced in July plans to locate next to the grocery store and movie theater.

The $5.5 million Boonville Station will include a bowling alley, Laser Tag arena, video arcade and miniature golf course. That project will be complete by the end of the year, Goehring said. Huntsville-based Grisham Construction is building the 40,000-square-foot complex.

Development will soon bleed into other areas of Bryan, Russell predicted.

"We have what the developers are looking for with regard to location, traffic and land prices," Russell said. "It's a good time to be doing that type of development. Not only is it going to offer things in Bryan that we may or may not already have - we believe it's going to have a carrying effect, and extend down William Joel Bryan [Parkway] and the bypass."

Goehring added that Texas A&M University's commitment to hire 447 new professors over a five-year period is bringing residents and demand for services to the Bryan-College Station area. To date, about 230 of those positions have been filled.

"We also have 55,000 [A&M and Blinn College] students here, and a way of life that's the envy of so many parts of the country," Goehring said. "Industry and high-tech [businesses] are beginning to look at this community more aggressively. Our business has started to reflect our population."

Goehring said he expects the city to close deals within the next few months with restaurants and retail businesses wanting to locate in Bryan because of the activity under way at Boonville Road and North Earl Rudder Freeway.

"There are negotiations ongoing," he said. "It's kind of a chicken and egg deal. Once some of these buildings are on the ground, we'll see some more wanting to come to that area."

Bryan ready to welcome several new developments

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

New development in Bryan - including a coffee shop in downtown and a grocery store and movie theater along North Earl Rudder Freeway - will be open for business within months.

The LaSalle Cafe will be the first of several new businesses to open this year in Bryan. The shop, which will offer Starbucks coffee products, is scheduled to open at the end of January, said John Hendry, executive director of the Downtown Bryan Economic Development Association.

Meanwhile, tentative plans are under way for a coffee shop in the Tejas Center, at the corner of Texas Avenue and Villa Maria Road, center developer Jack Culpepper said. Although a signed agreement is not yet in place, plans now call for a new building that would be shared by a Starbucks coffee shop and Brazos Valley Bank.

"I would say sometime within the first quarter of [2006]," the agreement will be signed, with an opening date planned for sometime later in the year, Culpepper said.

A development boom also is occurring at North Earl Rudder Freeway and Boonville Road.

Premiere Cinemas is building a 16-screen movie theater that will open in late spring or early summer. A 70,000-square-foot Kroger grocery store, slated for completion in the summer, is under construction adjacent to the theater.

Cencor Realty's $4 million Kroger development also includes another 26,000-square-foot building that will be used for retail, said Bryan's director of planning and development, Kevin Russell.

Cotton Patch Cafe has committed to opening a location in the area, and other businesses are likely to follow, officials say.

The development spark in Bryan is a result of demand from residents, said Dennis Goehring, executive director of the Bryan Business Council. The business council has helped with some of the negotiations.

"It's just this simple: Success breeds success," Goehring said. "Things are moving along, and one thing piggybacks on another. You have different spokes of synergy in the economic wheel."

One example of development luring other businesses is an entertainment complex called Boonville Station, which announced in July plans to locate next to the grocery store and movie theater.

The $5.5 million Boonville Station will include a bowling alley, Laser Tag arena, video arcade and miniature golf course. That project will be complete by the end of the year, Goehring said. Huntsville-based Grisham Construction is building the 40,000-square-foot complex.

Development will soon bleed into other areas of Bryan, Russell predicted.

"We have what the developers are looking for with regard to location, traffic and land prices," Russell said. "It's a good time to be doing that type of development. Not only is it going to offer things in Bryan that we may or may not already have - we believe it's going to have a carrying effect, and extend down William Joel Bryan [Parkway] and the bypass."

Goehring added that Texas A&M University's commitment to hire 447 new professors over a five-year period is bringing residents and demand for services to the Bryan-College Station area. To date, about 230 of those positions have been filled.

"We also have 55,000 [A&M and Blinn College] students here, and a way of life that's the envy of so many parts of the country," Goehring said. "Industry and high-tech [businesses] are beginning to look at this community more aggressively. Our business has started to reflect our population."

Goehring said he expects the city to close deals within the next few months with restaurants and retail businesses wanting to locate in Bryan because of the activity under way at Boonville Road and North Earl Rudder Freeway.

"There are negotiations ongoing," he said. "It's kind of a chicken and egg deal. Once some of these buildings are on the ground, we'll see some more wanting to come to that area."

I read this too and noticed that they did not give the names of the restaurants that will be coming in the next few months. I am thinking one of them is Rudy Tuesdays because I have been seeing there comercials on Tv. What do you guys think some of the restaurants are?

Well, they did list Cotton Patch Cafe, not like thats a big deal or anything. I wonder how much longer it's going to be before we get a Landry's brand eatery here. I would very much like to see a Saltgrass in town.

• 2 weeks later...

They started clearing land north of the theater this week for the new Boonville Station complex.

They started clearing land north of the theater this week for the new Boonville Station complex.

I hope they don't put up some tin building and think that it's ok. I can see it now a really big tin building with a little brick in the front. Thats all they ever build in Bryan.

I hope they don't put up some tin building and think that it's ok. I can see it now a really big tin building with a little brick in the front. Thats all they ever build in Bryan.

That's what we get for living in a city with relaxed building codes/restrictions.

Also planning to break ground in late Feb./early March will be the new First National Bank Headquarters building. This will be a big addition to Bryan/CS and serve to solidify the headquarters of the oldest bank in Texas.

I think it's only planned for 5 stories tall, but it will be big and lavish.

Pete's Exxon to build new oil and lube center, store

Eagle Staff Report

Pete Kountakis, owner of Pete's Exxon in Bryan, said his business will break ground this week to build a new oil and lube center, convenience store and in-store Burger King.

Kountakis said his business -

I read this too and noticed that they did not give the names of the restaurants that will be coming in the next few months. I am thinking one of them is Rudy Tuesdays because I have been seeing there comercials on Tv. What do you guys think some of the restaurants are?

From what I've heard there are two pizza joints locating either in the Kroger center or across Boonville in another smaller center...one was Doubledave's and the other I can't seem to think of the name of right now. I also heard that Jason's Deli was looking at the Kroger center. Cotton Patch isn't exactly to-die-for but considering there isn't a single restaurant in east Bryan its better than nothing.

I read in The Eagle this morning that an irish pub is going to open in Downtown Bryan. Does anyone know anything about that?

Archived