Lumen: Apartments At 2400 West Dallas St.

guess

If it is a workers fault does insurance still cover it?

Short answer:  Yes.

Projects of this size will usually have a significant chunk of the contract documents devoted to specifying how the insurance plan is laid out and apportioned among the various players - GC, subs, etc.  With a loss this big there's usually going to end up being a fair amount of time and effort devoted to sorting out who ultimately ends up writing what checks for how much.

• Like 2

Short answer: Yes.

Projects of this size will usually have a significant chunk of the contract documents devoted to specifying how the insurance plan is laid out and apportioned among the various players - GC, subs, etc. With a loss this big there's usually going to end up being a fair amount of time and effort devoted to sorting out who ultimately ends up writing what checks for how much.

I guess the contractor company at fault would end up paying with their insurance. Yikes!

^This thing will probably drag out for a while...  Accidents like this will require an investigation.  Attorney's will be called and battle lines drawn.  This will go to court because the GC will likely get sued by the developer who will in turn sue the subcontrators who will sue the A/C manufacturer (just a guess off of another post) etc.

Doubt anything takes place here for at least 12-14 months.  Would be very surprised if things happened more quickly.

Doubt anything takes place here for at least 12-14 months.  Would be very surprised if things happened more quickly.

I dunno about that.  Just because the final responsibility may not be fully allocated doesn't mean that an upstream party won't pony up and seek contribution.  As a nearby example, the apartments on the NW corner of the Waugh/Memorial cloverleaf burned to the ground while still being framed, but ultimately didn't get set back that far on their timeline.

I dunno about that. Just because the final responsibility may not be fully allocated doesn't mean that an upstream party won't pony up and seek contribution. As a nearby example, the apartments on the NW corner of the Waugh/Memorial cloverleaf burned to the ground while still being framed, but ultimately didn't get set back that far on their timeline.

And the Comfort Inn in Cypress that burned last summer and had to be completely rebuilt is now in about the same state it was months ago pre fire with opening this spring (likely)

lots of whining at swamplot about "how do they allow them to build with wood."

How do they build 4 to 5-story apartments in other cities, wood or steel?

I watched the entire thing from my office window. I never thought much about wood complexes before, but after seeing how quickly the place turned from smoke to collapse... I'll NEVER live in a wood apartment complex/condo. I also saw the worker walking around on the top and jump over to the balcony. That dude was soooo lucky.

• Like 1

lots of whining at swamplot about "how do they allow them to build with wood."

How do they build 4 to 5-story apartments in other cities, wood or steel?

Well, a lot of places build cinderblock firewalls. It won't stop the building from burning up, but it can buy some time before the entire complex turns to a smoldering crater in the ground.

And in the Woodway Square fire, the use of wooden shingles was what caused the fire to spread so quickly. After that, city banned wooden shingles or at least made some city codes restricting them. Hopefully they'll have some building codes like firewalls after this incident.

Have you all noticed that Fingers properties have metal studs.  What a difference that might have made.  I think he also has concrete floors.  I am going to go look at The Suzanne tomorrow and see.   I guess this will slow down the possible apartment "glut" by about a small percentage.   

• Like 1

This is WAYYYYYY to early to even ask, but I will make a general question: When a disaster like this happens to a property under construction, do developers usually rebuild? I am sure insurance will play a role. I just don't know if we should expect this to be an empty lot again..

I wondered the same thing

The Fingers project adjacent to this one used steel rather than wood framing.

Also, I live close to Rice Village and there's ash and soot all over the yard, patio, and fountain. Kudos to HFD. It's amazing how they kept that inferno from spreading with today's weather.

• Like 1

Have you all noticed that Fingers properties have metal studs.  What a difference that might have made.  I think he also has concrete floors.  I am going to go look at The Suzanne tomorrow and see.   I guess this will slow down the possible apartment "glut" by about a small percentage.   

The Susanne is metal also....

Edited by HoustonMidtown

One of the reasons it burned so quickly was a lot of air flow. I'm guessing that some of the things like interior doors weren't installed yet.

It's really amazing that the guy survived--about 12 seconds after he climbs onto the ladder, the top floor and roof start to collapse onto the ground below. From the Jessica Tata case, I've learned that fires will kill people long before the structure goes up in flames.

Hopefully today some could drive by and take pictures of what it looks like now. Congratulations to the Houston Fire Department for not only preventing the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings but not losing a single life.

Excellent job by HFD keeping this from getting any worse and preventing any injury or loss of life. The dude that dropped down a floor ninja style from the balcony had some angels with him yesterday.

Exposed wooden studs in an open construction with high winds is about as bad a situation as you could set up. 

I'm sure there are insurance companies and lenders that lost a lot of sleep last night. 

• Like 1

When was the fire put out, and besides the parking garage, are there any parts still standing? What was originally the first floor patio on the previous day's newscast about the thing being so close to a cemetery, there's a picture that has a gravestone with the apartment behind it, now in a heap of burned rubble.

They were still putting water on hot spots this morning.....the only part left standing was a few floors on the corner of Montrose & Dallas and then a bit of the structure down Dallas towards Waugh.  They already have heavy equipment on site to start demolition.

Edited by HoustonMidtown

They were still putting water on hot spots this morning.....the only part left standing was a few floors on the corner of Montrose & DALLAS and then a bit of the structure down DALLAS towards Waugh.  They already have heavy equipment on site to start demolition.

FIFY

Statement from HFD:

HFD responded to the fire and quickly upgraded the response to a 3-alarm at about 12:50 and to a 4-alarm at 1:04 p.m. The fire was upgraded to a 5-alarm fire at 1:25 p.m.  One individual was rescued from the scene, however they were not injured. 

In total, more than 90 units responded to the scene with more than 400 personnel.

Statement by the Chief: "Yesterday was a perfect example of how a calculated  and deliberate aggressive fire attack based on sound risk management, coupled with rapid response by available units can greatly influence the outcome of a structure fire. Not only did the HFD execute a dramatic rescue of a construction worker, they also orchestrated one of the largest fire attacks in a decade without a single injury.  To execute a campaign of this magnitude and manage to contain the fire to the structure of origin without a single firefighter or citizen injury, meets the specific goals of providing the highest level of customer service while proving for firefighter safety.  Our firefighters absolutely met our customers’ expectations. Finally, I would like to thank the community for all their support and positive comments during  and after the incident."

The Eagle today ran a local story about a local teenager charged with arson at the high school (set a trash can on fire) and ran it next to a small photo of the Axis Apartments on fire and falling apart.

By the way, KBTX (and certainly local Houston news agencies) had an interview with the guy that was rescued. He actually looked to be in his 40s or 50s.

I heard the damages were around $50 million, but I'm wondering if that's just the apartment complex or the other damages--the townhomes across the street were singed, and I'm sure the ash, soot, and heat did a number on the cars at the AIG building next door. Not to mention the cars left outside, if they were damaged by the ash...or the smell of smoke that will linger in Montrose until at least the next good rain.

• 2 months later...

I noticed that they're finally removing debris from the property.

I'm guessing the insurance paid up and the investigation is over.

anyone know if they are going to go with the same design?

I would assume so. It wasn't anything from MEP, structural, or architectural that set the place ablaze, but from welders. I'm sure they will be extra careful when even the slightest gusts of wind blow through :P

I would assume so. It wasn't anything from MEP, structural, or architectural that set the place ablaze, but from welders. I'm sure they will be extra careful when even the slightest gusts of wind blow through :P

They were quoted, saying it is still unsure whether or not they will build the same design. I can see them doing something different. I hope they look better than the ones they had. Something maybe 8+ floors.

Maybe a bit farther back from the cemetery...I mean, I put no stock into superstitious nonsense like "the dead were angry about it, so they cursed the building to burn down" (and I'm sure there are in Houston that actually do believe that unironically), but c'mon...it was pretty close to that site.  :unsure:

• Like 1