HAIF - Houston's original social media

2400 West Dallas: New 5-Story Apartments by NRP Group

Fire damage to reinforced concrete is a serious concern(I see it all the time in Pipe-Racks and process units). It alters the chemistry of the material and it's material properties. I would imagine the GC, or Owner have hired a forensics firm to validate the structure. Core samples would be taken from exposed elements, and from that, very easy to discern the fire effected concrete. If it was bad, it'd have to be shored, partially demoed, and repaired. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Land is on the market   https://dmre.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2400-W-Dallas-OM.pdf  

The HHA has been vague about a specific development site along "West Dallas" (likely for good reason) but the map shown in the latest press release looks to be at this location. The unit count is simi

oh, my bad. Let me rephrase: I thought it was reported that GHOSTS were welding some components on or near the roof was the source of the fire?

Posted Images

The developers are just going to wait for a parking garage collapse once it's finished being built. No worries...

At which point a massive lawsuit would erupt that would make them wish that they just imploded it and rebuilt it from scratch.

Fire damage to reinforced concrete is a serious concern(I see it all the time in Pipe-Racks and process units). It alters the chemistry of the material and it's material properties. I would imagine the GC, or Owner have hired a forensics firm to validate the structure. Core samples would be taken from exposed elements, and from that, very easy to discern the fire effected concrete. If it was bad, it'd have to be shored, partially demoed, and repaired.

You're right, they are probably having it checked, seeing as how construction hasn't restarted yet.

At which point a massive lawsuit would erupt that would make them wish that they just imploded it and rebuilt it from scratch.

Naaaaah. Don't worry about it. I fully trust these Axis developers with my life. 

Plus, this gets me thinking, why Axis? Why not the Allies Apartments? They were doomed from the start!

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance carrier(s) aren't too thrilled about having to take down the garage, which could lead to battling experts over just how strong the structure is at this point, and whether or not that is strong enough to do the job.

I'm curious if they'll redesign to have a bit more set-back from the graveyard (the thing the woman complained about, a day before the whole apartment complex burned to the ground... <_< ) or rename it.

The garage is another issue--I would say that because the reinforced concrete was compromised in the inferno, it's not as well rated as it used to be, so closing off the upper levels would probably be recommended and still be considered safe. I'm not sure how much redundancy was put in for parking spaces, though. 

• Like 1

What is going to be built on the old soccer fields across the street from this?

Nothing.  The soccer fields are a tax dodge for a so-called religious entity that is holding the property to profit on its appreciation.  A disgusting display of the ridiculous tax breaks this country gives to certain organizations.  

• Like 5

As I understand it, JLB's awaiting the structural report on the garage before they move. If they're smart, they're going to have redesigned this complex with concrete firewalls and maybe even metal framing so it won't completely burn to the ground just because someone is sloppy at sweating pipes.

As I understand it, JLB's awaiting the structural report on the garage before they move. If they're smart, they're going to have redesigned this complex with concrete firewalls and maybe even metal framing so it won't completely burn to the ground just because someone is sloppy at sweating pipes.

Do they know for certain? That's what I heard, but they're doing an arson investigation anyway.

The term "axis" isn't used in good context in American history and government, whether the Nazis, Mussolini, and Japan, or the Bush-era nuclear weapon suspects (North Korea, Iraq, Iran), which aren't exactly our friends, and with the old apartments totally gone (and marred with that big fire), it's a great time to rename.

Edited by IronTiger

I don't really think there is a need to over-engineer this building. The building burned down because of accident during construction from a project manager who should have been more responsible and called down his welders from the roof during very high winds. That's just irresponsible even if it's the welders fault I'm certain that whoever was running the show that day got the boot.

I don't really think there is a need to over-engineer this building. The building burned down because of accident during construction from a project manager who should have been more responsible and called down his welders from the roof during very high winds. That's just irresponsible even if it's the welders fault I'm certain that whoever was running the show that day got the boot.

Well, if I recall correctly, the guy that got rescued was the foreman (or at least one of the guys above your basic worker), who, in what would turn out to be a monumentally ill decision, ran up with a fire extinguisher during his lunch break, unaware that the small fire had grown to a point where he could not return.

One can blame it on a welding accident, but the fire should have been contained and should not have burned down the entire complex. Fire walls would have confined the blaze to one section, preserving the rest so that it didn't become a gigantic A&M Homecoming Bonfire.

That might have been possible, but considering the circumstances in which it burned, which happened on a very windy day, along with no doors and windows wide open, it was just v a matter of bad luck.

One can blame it on a welding accident, but the fire should have been contained and should not have burned down the entire complex. Fire walls would have confined the blaze to one section, preserving the rest so that it didn't become a gigantic A&M Homecoming Bonfire.

Are you implying that Aggie engineers are involved somehow?  :P

Ultimately there would be fire rated walls - it's just that with stick construction they come later in the project.  The same thing happened a few years ago with the complex off the northwest corner of Memorial and Waugh/Yale; IIRC that one didn't have a garage in the middle to be potentially compromised, though.

• 1 month later...

Not too surprised. At least they did investigate it to determine if it was compromised.

I agree.

I don’t know what heating up a slab of concrete does to the steel reinforcement inside it, but that fire was a hot one, and it burned right on that garage for quite a while. If there was any doubt about its integrity, I imagine that it was uninsurable.

• 1 month later...

I would not be surprised to see stick construction again.  This site is pretty clearly being built to a design life, with the idea of something bigger and better and whatever coming in a few decades hence.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Axis apartments

Developer: Dallas-based JLB Partners

Original plan: The 396-unit luxury apartmentcomplex was just a few months shy of opening when a five-alarm fire destroyed it in March.

Status: "We are still working through the insurance process, and we will make a decision sometime in 2015," JLB's Scott Sherwood said about rebuilding the project.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, citykid09 said:

Here we are 3 years later. Was this ever rebuilt? What does the site look like now? Will there ever build it if they haven't already?

1.  Nope.

2.  A large vacant lot.

3.  Not until the market rebounds.  

(I have no special knowledge, just a view of the place)

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 1

From what I remember, this development was going to be built next to a cemetery. Basically the back porch of a few of the units would have been within a few feet of tombstones. People were upset but the develop kept going. Then the building burned down. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

People were upset but the develop jepts going.

Are you suggesting foul play? Last article I can find (from fall 2015) still says HFD was investigating. This is the one with a welder on the roof and high winds right?

Never heard the outcome, but early reports indicated it was an accident. There were people complaining about building near the cemetery but there will always be some group complaining about something with a development this big.

It would be interesting to see what came of the HFD report and subsequent dealing with insurance.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, skwatra said:

Are you suggesting foul play? Last article I can find (from fall 2015) still says HFD was investigating. This is the one with a welder on the roof and high winds right?

Never heard the outcome, but early reports indicated it was an accident. There were people complaining about building near the cemetery but there will always be some group complaining about something with a development this big.

It would be interesting to see what came of the HFD report and subsequent dealing with insurance.

I wouldn't doubt it in this case.

• Like 1
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to 2400 West Dallas: New 5-Story Apartments by NRP Group