Lumen: Apartments At 2400 West Dallas St.

guess

Ch 11 is reporting that is contained to that site.

These are not the Fingers apartments. They were being built by JLB apartments.

They were unoccupied. No one reported hurt so far.

The news story last night was about the historic cemetery adjacent to the new apartments, and complaints about respect for that cemetery. Obviously there will be a full arson investigation.

uh oh. maybe some bad juju because of that little cemetery the construction abutted :ph34r: . 

A buddy of mine at home for lunch on Peden just to the south said the smoke and the smell is horrible. I'd hate to be trapped in a conference room at AIG this afternoon, with  everyone coming back from lunch reeking of burning drywall and laminate. 

They just talked to a guy from the 18th floor of the office building behind the scene that said he saw air conditioning units sparking on the roof and a guy trying to put out the fire and then it spread like crazy...they just showed a picture of the poor guy on a 5th floor balcony with fire raging above him on the roof - scary!

The rescue

Edited by HoustonMidtown

This is WAYYYYYY to early to even ask, but I will make a general question: When a disaster like this happens to a property under construction, do developers usually rebuild? I am sure insurance will play a role. I just don't know if we should expect this to be an empty lot again..

Last summer, there was a big fire at the Comfort Inn under construction at Hempstead Hwy. and FM 1960 (it's on YouTube). It was hot that the structure completely collapsed and they had to start from scratch.

But wow, what a coincidence that people are unhappy that the thing is literally being built behind a cemetery (freeze frame at KHOU nails it), on the news reported yesterday, and today, the whole thing goes up in flames! That is incredible...or it's arson.

Here's the latest HFD info as of 1:58pm:

5-Alarm Building Fire in 2400 block of W. Dallas (update 2)

No reported injuries

What: 5-Alarm Structure Fire
When: HFD was dispatched to the fire about 12:30 p.m. this afternoon, March 25, 2014.
Where: high-rise apartment building under construction
Injuries: No reported injuries
Damage: N/A
Cause: This fire will be under investigation
Details:
HFD responded to the fire and quickly upgraded the response to a 3-alarm at about 12:50 and to a 4-alarm at 1:04 p.m. The fire was upgraded to a 5-alarm fire at 1:25 p.m.

Updates: One individual was rescued from the scene, however they were not injured. The fire is heavily wind-driven and firefighters are working to protect nearby structures.  More than 80 units have been dispatched to the scene with more than 200 personnel. This includes at least 14 ladder companies, 26 engine companies and 5 EMS transport units.

Motorists are asked to avoid the area. Residents who live in the area are asked to reroute their way around this incident.

• Like 2

It was weird when it happened. I just finished taking a picture of the UofH Stadium and then I noticed a small bit of smoke. At first I thought it was just a car fire until it went full black and engulfed a big part of the Houston sky. That fire spread fast! I'll have to upload the pics when I get out my laptop.

This is WAYYYYYY to early to even ask, but I will make a general question: When a disaster like this happens to a property under construction, do developers usually rebuild? I am sure insurance will play a role. I just don't know if we should expect this to be an empty lot again..

Given the current state of the market I expect they will hit the "reset" button, and yes, there ought to be insurance in place to cover it - typically a "builder's risk" policy.  

• Like 2

It was truly an amazing site to watch.  The largest fire I've ever seen was a grain silo that was located on the northeast corner of Montrose and Allen Pkwy, diagonally across from the Magnolia Cemetery.  The flames from that fire were probably as high as the AIG tower is tall.

I don't know what happened to my post but I guess I'll post my pics here. At first, it looked like a small car fire at around 12:25 to 12:30. I just was about to get into my car at the University of Houston stadium parking garage. When I was getting closer to the northern edge of the garage, it turned into a huge plum of smoke in about 5 mins.

Just started 5 mins earlier

ny56YPF.jpg

3 mins later

yffVtFe.jpg

Decided to take West Gray since I figured W Dallas would be shut down

KwkS13Q.jpg

1IK2ksZ.jpg

On W Dallas

FYvjX49.jpg

i8BW9yn.jpg

Traffic was at a crawl since they shut down Montrose, West Gray, and West Dallas so I decided to leave the area by taking Allen Parkway

ZAQO4RZ.jpg

rJJVgfr.jpg