guess

2400 W. Dallas (Formerly Axis Apartments - Burned Down)

So this is on the Whole Foods - Apartment Side of Montrose? Does anyone know what this is going to be? More from the APTS down Dallas? There's a little run down former convenience store or there was a couple weeks ago?

Its amazing how I lived off Waugh & Washington, and I would always tell my friend that they really should develop this open plot of land with some apartments.

Its amazing how I lived off Waugh & Washington, and I would always tell my friend that they really should develop this open plot of land with some apartments.

speaking of waugh & washington, expect an announcement on a new office project breaking ground later this year.

• Like 1

speaking of waugh & washington, expect an announcement on a new office project breaking ground later this year.

Washington and Waugh - blah

it's 20+ stories - not entirely blah. there's a few more kicking around that immediate area as well supposedly.

• Like 3

it's 20+ stories - not entirely blah. there's a few more kicking around that immediate area as well supposedly.

Will it go on the old YWCA site ? I heard that a energy/oil & gas company purchased that property. 

Will it go on the old YWCA site ? I heard that a energy/oil & gas company purchased that property. 

different site.

Oh ok is it a empty lot or is there already something on the site ?

honestly i'm not sure what's on the site right now. i've heard the same about an energy company buying up a piece of land there as well as another group - supposedly a couple office projects in the work but i have no clue as to their probability other than my aforementioned one.

it's not a bad looking building... nothing extravegant but should be realtively well received.

honestly i'm not sure what's on the site right now. i've heard the same about an energy company buying up a piece of land there as well as another group - supposedly a couple office projects in the work but i have no clue as to their probability other than my aforementioned one.

it's not a bad looking building... nothing extravegant but should be realtively well received.

Oh ok. Sounds interesting.

That is a hUge fire. Is that the one just east of the fingers development/whole foods?

And that's why these things are sprinklered!

Thankfully that wasn't occupied (though presumably if it were occupied it wouldn't have burned like that).

Is this the building under construction at the corner of Montrose or the Finger property?  It looks like the corner building from the pics.

Nooooooooo!!!! Smh Im glad no one was hurt but what a total loss for the area... What other structures were hurt around it?

Edited by j_cuevas713

I was in the Village for lunch and saw ashes coming down from this fire. HFD did a good job of keeping the fire from spreading to other structures. 

• Like 1

Ch 11 is reporting that is contained to that site.

These are not the Fingers apartments. They were being built by JLB apartments.

They were unoccupied. No one reported hurt so far.

The news story last night was about the historic cemetery adjacent to the new apartments, and complaints about respect for that cemetery. Obviously there will be a full arson investigation.

uh oh. maybe some bad juju because of that little cemetery the construction abutted :ph34r: . 

A buddy of mine at home for lunch on Peden just to the south said the smoke and the smell is horrible. I'd hate to be trapped in a conference room at AIG this afternoon, with  everyone coming back from lunch reeking of burning drywall and laminate. 

They just talked to a guy from the 18th floor of the office building behind the scene that said he saw air conditioning units sparking on the roof and a guy trying to put out the fire and then it spread like crazy...they just showed a picture of the poor guy on a 5th floor balcony with fire raging above him on the roof - scary!

The rescue

Edited by HoustonMidtown

This is WAYYYYYY to early to even ask, but I will make a general question: When a disaster like this happens to a property under construction, do developers usually rebuild? I am sure insurance will play a role. I just don't know if we should expect this to be an empty lot again..

Is this the building under construction at the corner of Montrose or the Finger property?  It looks like the corner building from the pics.

The building on the corner - The Axis

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Last summer, there was a big fire at the Comfort Inn under construction at Hempstead Hwy. and FM 1960 (it's on YouTube). It was hot that the structure completely collapsed and they had to start from scratch.

But wow, what a coincidence that people are unhappy that the thing is literally being built behind a cemetery (freeze frame at KHOU nails it), on the news reported yesterday, and today, the whole thing goes up in flames! That is incredible...or it's arson.