Shell Westhollow Campus In The Woodlands

lockmat

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought the same thing, only i know of commercial real estate people who have very few posts on haif but are big time lurkers.  maybe tone2002 is full of it or maybe he/she just couldn't take it anymore!   ;)  

DOH!!!!   :blush: 

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/camp-strake-to-become-next-market-street-whispers-of-an/article_68a5253f-48a2-5346-a8f7-195987aab7c0.html

Despite rumors of another oil & gas company campus, Conroe officials have confirmed that the Camp Strake site will be home to a commercial/residential development and possibly a minor league baseball field.

the article about the sale to johnson states that residential is only 50 percent of the 2100 acres.

The rest of the property will be a park, as it's mostly flood plain and floodway.

I was excited about the idea of The Woodlands getting a 35-40 story highrise for Shell because it would have helped develop the already existing skyline in The Woodlands, but wow way up at the camp strake site I'm kinda disappointed about that.

My elevator guy just told me Shell is planning on building a 35-40 story tower in The Woodlands and that Anadarko wants to build another one too.

Can anyone confirm this?

Just to clarify, my source didn't mention anything about height

So are these two different sources? Two different buildings ?

It is mind blowing how much Houston is expanding... The only thing I wish for the Northern Suburbs & Exurbs is that they keep and/or replant trees. Those Pines are about the only natural beauty that area has. I hope they follow the Woodlands' example.

It is mind blowing how much Houston is expanding... The only thing I wish for the Northern Suburbs & Exurbs is that they keep and/or replant trees. Those Pines are about the only natural beauty that area has. I hope they follow the Woodlands' example.

the camp strake buyer is required to maintain a 50 ft natural buffer by the city of conroe.  

Sorry. Failed attempt at sarcasm.

no worries.  i make the same mistake, thinking everyone should know the tone of voice in my head.

i too wondered if the 50 foot buffer was lost because of the 50 foot clearance for the pipeline........

• 5 months later...

Shell will build a large campus between the Woodlands and Conroe. Location is north of 1488.

Source: High-up Kinder Morgan consultant who works with Shell.

Bad news since this sounds like Shell will be vacating their downtown offices...IF this is true and IF Exxon and Shell turn out to be proof of some kind of suburban campus pattern taking root, this is definitely going to be a huge threat to future downtown office vacancy rates and office tower construction. Let's hope Chevron isn't thinking of jumping ship too and doing a suburban campus instead, especially since their proposed downtown tower was recently put on hold. Meanwhile, the City of Houston better up the ante on enticing the major energy companies downtown from flying out to the suburbs or Montgomery County. Not to knock our neighbor to the North, but it would be awful for downtown to end up with empty buildings, high vacancy rates and very little office construction as downtown Dallas.

Bad news since this sounds like Shell will be vacating their downtown offices...IF this is true and IF Exxon and Shell turn out to be proof of some kind of suburban campus pattern taking root, this is definitely going to be a huge threat to future downtown office vacancy rates and office tower construction. Let's hope Chevron isn't thinking of jumping ship too and doing a suburban campus instead, especially since their proposed downtown tower was recently put on hold. Meanwhile, the City of Houston better up the ante on enticing the major energy companies downtown from flying out to the suburbs or Montgomery County. Not to knock our neighbor to the North, but it would be awful for downtown to end up with empty buildings, high vacancy rates and very little office construction as downtown Dallas.

I agree. I've been worried that the Exxon campus is the canary in the coal mine.  Rush hour traffic has gotten so bad they're looking at getting out of the core for suburban campuses.  I've always said Houston needs to step it up with a more comprehensive network of HOT lanes and express bus services to all of the core job centers, or we could end up like stagnant downtown Dallas.  Houston has been lucky to have thriving suburbs all around it with most of the jobs in the core.  If that switches to a thriving arc of jobs and residents from Sugar Land to the Energy Corridor to The Woodlands, the core and east of Houston will suffer, just like it has in Dallas vs. their northwestern suburbs.

Shell has One and Two Shell Plaza through 2025. They also just moved their trading operations into 1000 Main in 2012. I don't think there is any reason think Shell will be abandoning downtown any time very soon.

I agree. I've been worried that the Exxon campus is the canary in the coal mine.  Rush hour traffic has gotten so bad they're looking at getting out of the core for suburban campuses.  I've always said Houston needs to step it up with a more comprehensive network of HOT lanes and express bus services to all of the core job centers, or we could end up like stagnant downtown Dallas.  Houston has been lucky to have thriving suburbs all around it with most of the jobs in the core.  If that switches to a thriving arc of jobs and residents from Sugar Land to the Energy Corridor to The Woodlands, the core and east of Houston will suffer, just like it has in Dallas vs. their northwestern suburbs.

If there is a long-term trend to pulling out of downtown in favor of the suburbs, could some of the existing downtown buildings be converted to residential?

It'll be interesting to see what Metro's reinvention plan turns out to be with regards to this.  I, too, advocate expanded express or park and ride service to core centers around town.  Then local bus routes could tie into those.  With energy business cores located in downtown, The Woodlands and the energy corridor I would imagine it would be quite useful to have express bus service between all three so employees could shuttle back and forth for meetings and such.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/camp-strake-sale-finalized/#14048101=0

I'm not sure about that. I don't want to lie and say I know where it's being built. I was simply told north of 1488.

well, except for the fact that three other people have heard rumors regarding a major energy company building at camp strake since june.  also, rumored that shell bid on the camp strake property (north of 1488, south of conroe).  

that said, there are other properties north of 1488.  but, just as springwoods development was announced prior to exxonmobil; johnson development company has announced their development plans prior to the shell information.

camp strake or not, the woodlands will be "bookended" (new word) by two of the world's top oil companies.  i wonder what home prices are like in the river plantation and crighton ridge subdivisions these days? it might be a good time to buy something.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Conroe-TX-77302/91832_rid/days_sort/30.266388,-95.427568,30.241847,-95.469582_rect/14_zm/1_fr/

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/camp-strake-sale-finalized/#14048101=0

I'm not sure about that. I don't want to lie and say I know where it's being built. I was simply told north of 1488.

Interesting that the previous Camp Strake / Grand Lake Park website recently went down. Will only add to the rumor and speculation process.

http://www.grandlakepark.com/

Highly skeptical that Shell will be making a wholesale move to a new Camp Strake campus... for a variety of reasons.

1.  Why would someone, anyone, at Kinder Morgan be privy to confidential Shell information?

2.  As noted above, Shell recently entered into new long-term leases for their HQ space downtown and their trading space downtown.

3. Shell has recently expanded/is currently expanding their large Woodcreek campus.

4. A massive corporate campus does not appear to be in Johnson Development's plans for the Camp Strake property.

5. The Camp Strake site would be a horrible location for a corporate consolidation.  The ExxonMobil site suffers from being far north, but it is/will be at the intersection of three major expressways (I-45, Hardy Tollroad and Grand Parkway) and is 11+ miles closer in than Camp Strake.

6. Shell is moving to Oklahoma City.  ;-)

First off, let me just say my source knows what he is talking about. Without revealing too much of my profession, I work with a wide range of clientele. That's how I know about the new facade coming to One Allen Center.

My source is a senior consultant (in his 60s) that used to work for El Paso and now does the major consultation with Shell for Kinder Morgan. He clearly would be the one to know this information since he knows a great deal about the inner-workings of Shell. Now here's the nail in the coffin for how I KNOW Shell is building a campus:

My source planned on selling one of his homes that he happens to have in Jacobs Reserve. He was told NOT to sell his home just yet. Shell knows when they build this campus, the property values in the area will increase. They advised him to wait but he can sell it whenever, of course. After that, he is now waiting.

Archived