Sign in to follow this  
ToryGattis

Houston population stats?

Would you have chosen Sharpstown or Alief as suitable suburbs for your kids to go to school?

Back when my parents were buying their house, they chose Alief, I lived at the corner of Bellaire and Kirkwood and went from elementary through highschool in AISD.

When my parents chose that area, Alief was the premier school district in Houston, and I'm sure Sharpstown still had good schools as well. Now though?

As the suburbs age they age quickly, hell, when I was a senior at Elsik I saw guns being brought to basketball games, there were metal detectors and drug dogs patrolling the parking lots and sniffing at lockers.

If my parents knew in 1973 when they bought the house that I would be going to high school in that environment would they have chosen to live there? Likely not. I personally think that thanks to the diversity of the schools I am a better person for it, at least culturally. 

Anyway, your suburb might not change like Alief (and other suburbs) changed, but I think inside the city is as favorable a place to raise a child as any suburb, especially if you can trade the cost incurred for maintaining a car for the long commute for a private school. I can't find a more recent article, but if the prices for private school are still close to this, that's the cost of gasoline for one car a year...

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/private-schools-cost-less-you-may-think

I think that the development of master planned communities like Cinco Ranch and First Colony are in part a response to what happened to Sharpstown and Alief.  In the end we may end up with a city with a wealthy core surronded by older suburbs where the urban poor live surrounded by wealthier master planned suburbs.  At least that appears to be where we are now.

New estimated population numbers for metropolitan areas released today:

Houston metro popultation as of July 1, 2013:  6,313,158

Increase over July 1, 2012:  137,692

Annual growth rate:  2.2%

The largest numerical growth of all metro areas.  The 16th fastest rate of growth among all metro areas.  The only metro area of any substantial size that grew at a faster percentage rate than Houston, was Austin, which grew at a 2.6% rate.

Houston's growth 2012-2013 population increase was comprised of:

Natural increase (births exceeding deaths):  56,334

International net migration:  25,504

Domestic net migration:  55,620

Edited by Houston19514

New estimated population numbers for metropolitan areas released today:

Houston metro popultation as of July 1, 2013:  6,313,158

Increase over July 1, 2012:  137,692

Annual growth rate:  2.2%

The largest numerical growth of all metro areas.  The 16th fastest rate of growth among all metro areas.  The only metro area of any substantial size that grew at a faster percentage rate than Houston, was Austin, which grew at a 2.6% rate.

Houston's growth 2012-2013 population increase was comprised of:

Natural increase (births exceeding deaths):  56,334

International net migration:  25,504

Domestic net migration:  55,620

Heard on the radio today that Harris county is the fastest growing county in the country right now.

I think in absolute numbers, but not on a percentage basis.  Some of those boom towns in North Dakota started out as nothing and are growing at an insane rate.

^^  Correct.  Harris County had the country's largest numeric increase in population -- 82,890 from July 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013.   1.9%  That rate of growth is not even the fastest in the Houston metropolitan area.  In fact, Harris County's rate of growth was in a 4-way tie for 3rd fastest growth rate in the Houston metro area.

(Ft. Bend experienced 4.2% growth and Montgomery experienced 2.9% growth.)

Edited by Houston19514

Thanks for putting those stats together! 25,000 international immigrants seems like a lot. Is that normal growth for a year? I don't have the last 10+ years but it would be interesting to see how that number has grown as Houston becomes recognized more internationally.

Thanks for putting those stats together! 25,000 international immigrants seems like a lot. Is that normal growth for a year? I don't have the last 10+ years but it would be interesting to see how that number has grown as Houston becomes recognized more internationally.

Very quickly, I see that for the 3.25 years since the 2010 census, Houston's total net international migration was 80,394.

Here you go: http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/pop/popm/cbsa26420.asp

The new numbers aren't posted yet, but give it a couple of weeks.

Check out the Galveston-Houston Regional Forecast 2025. HTown is divided into zones. Zone 1 is DT and inner loop. Z2 is 610 to SH Tollway. Z3 is SH to GP. Z4 is GP to areas I am not familiar with. Z5 is even beyond that. According to projections, Z1 gains 200k, Z2 almost a million. Z3 1.3 mil. Z4 almost another million. Z5 like 200k. Thats a LOT more people in just 11 years. Is this a credible summation?

Check out the Galveston-Houston Regional Forecast 2025. HTown is divided into zones. Zone 1 is DT and inner loop. Z2 is 610 to SH Tollway. Z3 is SH to GP. Z4 is GP to areas I am not familiar with. Z5 is even beyond that. According to projections, Z1 gains 200k, Z2 almost a million. Z3 1.3 mil. Z4 almost another million. Z5 like 200k. Thats a LOT more people in just 11 years. Is this a credible summation?

That seems high.  Houston is expected to grow fast but the projections that I've seen have been closer to 2.5 million additional in the next 15 years.  Your numbers add up to about 3.7 in 11 years.

It is interesting that projection calls for 200k of the increased 3.7 million inside the loop.  That would increase population inside the loop by about 40% and would still account for only about 6% of the new residents.

The forecast growth in the Galveston-Houston Regional Forecast 2025 was between the years 2000 and 2025... 25 years, not 11 years.  The total forecast growth was 2,991,000.   In the first 13 years of the 25-year forecast period, we grew by1,643,587.

To clarify, here is the forecasted growth for each of the Zones:

1. (Inside the Loop):  190,000

2. (Loop to Beltway): 856,000

3. (Beltway to Grand Parkway:  1,267,000

4. (Beyond Grand Parkway:  512,000

5. (Further beyond Grand Parkway - roughly beyond 35 miles out):  166,000

Ok thanks. That makes more sense. I thought I was reading the data incorrectly. That's what happens when I attempt to multitask! ;)

2016 metro area population estimates were released today:

July 1, 2016 population:  6,772,470

2015 population:  6,647,465

1-year increase:  125,005

Growth rate:  1.9%

July 1, 2010 population:  5,948,174

6-year increase:  824,296

Percentage growth since July 1, 2010:  13.9%

• Like 1

2017 metro area population estimates were released today:

July 1, 2017 population:  6,892,427

2016 population:   6,798,010 (they apparently revised the original estimate posted a year ago)

1 year increase:  94,417

Growth rate:  1.4%

July 1, 2010 population:  5,947,419

7-year increase:  944,253

Percentage growth since July 1, 2010:  15.9%

(No surprise that we had slower growth than the prior year. I suspect growth has since accelerated again.) We'll probably cross 7 million in the 2018 estimates.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

2018 metro area population estimates were released today:

July 1, 2018 population:  6,997,384

2017 population:   6,905,695

2016 population:   6,812,260 (they apparently revised the original estimate posted a year ago)

1 year increase:  91,689

Growth rate:  1.3%

July 1, 2010 population:  5,947,409

8-year increase:  1,049,975

Percentage growth since July 1, 2010:  17.7%

• Like 3