What Are The Odds These Will All Be Built?

Downtown Projects  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which will get built?

• 609 Main (Hines)
    • Capitol Tower (Skanska)
    • Linbeck Market Square project
    • New Chevron tower
    • 5 Allen Center (Brookfield)
    • Foley's / Americana blocks (Hilcorp Ventures)
    • 6 Houston Center (Crescent)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why would additions to an existing campus be any sort of qualifier? building development is building development.

Because it's not like the people who own Allen Center or Houston Center are going to develop a building on the other side of downtown.  But they will try to develop something to capture some of the growth. So I think buildings that are independent of any existing campus are a better indicator of where the hot area is.

Dude, he specifically clarified that he was speaking of office and residential development.  If taking people at their word is bullying.  Again, I plead guilty.

(But even apart from residential development, until you added the previously unheard qualifier about developments apart from campuses, the idea that office developments are honing in on a particular section of downtown was/is demonstrably silly.)

I think the qualifier is sound. The fact that office developers who have no previous anchoring in a certain area are mainly concentrating on the north end is an indicator that the north end is hotter than the other sides of downtown.

I'm pretty confident about this one too (as in <75% likelihood). I think the order of likelihood for the various major towers not being built for specific tenants getting completed are...

1. 609 Main (Hines)

2. Capitol Tower (Skanska) 

3. 6 Houston Center

4. International Tower (Stream/Essex)

5. 5 Allen Center

I'm pretty confident about this one too (as in <75% likelihood). I think the order of likelihood for the various major towers not being built for specific tenants getting completed are...

1. 609 Main (Hines)

3. 6 Houston Center

5. 5 Allen Center

I'd love to see #4 at #1, but I agree with you. Not a big fan of #3, but it would certainly be better than what's there now for sure.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/01-28-14-major-oil-company-quietly-downsizes-its-downtown-operations-as-an-iconic-tower-is-revamped/

I doubt anymore office buildings are in the works for downtown. Shanksa may build theirs, but this is probably the last to slip in.

No way Allen 5, Houston 6, or International Tower get built unless the differentials favor Class A so heavily compared to the availability of Class A...

1. 609 Main (Hines)

3. 6 Houston Center

5. 5 Allen Center

How likely now? There will have to be alot of companies pining to get into downtown for this tower to work:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/01-28-14-major-oil-company-quietly-downsizes-its-downtown-operations-as-an-iconic-tower-is-revamped/

I doubt anymore office buildings are in the works for downtown. Shanksa may build theirs, but this is probably the last to slip in.

No way Allen 5, Houston 6, or International Tower get built unless the differentials favor Class A so heavily compared to the availability of Class A...

Not that I'm a fan of 6 HC, they too look like they are going to slip into this next wave of office space. According to Central Houston, they have construction documents in completed, so presumably they can start work whenever they want. They also don't have to go through the lengthy process of demoing buildings on site, just ripping up a parking lot.

What will be interesting will be to see is how downtown deals with all the "new"(including all the upcoming renovations" space over the next few years. They don't really seem to have any pull in the current tenant market, but maybe rising office rents and gridlock on the roads in the suburban employment centers makes it attractive once more? That or they push outside the Grand Parkway I guess.

Will it be a nice little urban area though with 40+ stories of glass looming over it?  Think about it.

Lets see thousands of workers . eatting at niko niko, batanga.. fusion taco.. Hundreds going out after work to have drinks at okra, bad news, gun and goro  or a dozen others... wwith walking distance... Those that can afford it ling in hines proposed highraise for the simple reason their job will be right across the street ?

Lets see thousands of workers . eatting at niko niko, batanga.. fusion taco.. Hundreds going out after work to have drinks at okra, bad news, gun and goro  or a dozen others... wwith walking distance... Those that can afford it ling in hines proposed highraise for the simple reason their job will be right across the street ?

While I would have prefered another redis I will take a tower over a parking lot anyday

I contemplated whether or not to post this - we own in midtown and go out downtown a lot! My job took me west this week and I work with Air LIQUIDE - thy recently announced they are. Holding a 20 story campus in EC - man I know I'm gonna catch heat but - couldn't any of those companies build move DT ? I literally flew home all week on the Katy tollway but how long is that possible? Anyway probably not the best topic to post this but the wind has been taken out of my DT loving sails - someone pick me up...

Market Square is already going to have a 40 story residential "looming over it"...

While I would have prefered another redis I will take a tower over a parking lot anyday

And just a block away there's a 72 story building lol.

Classic haif pile-on, I love it. 

mfastx that 75 story building is three blocks away and doesn't loom over Market Square at all. But its looming presence hasn't exactly done wonders for street life along Texas Ave., so I wonder what your point is?

cloud713 I thought your response was the strongest, but the 40 story tower is only half a block wide, not a full block, and will probably present a more interesting facade than the expanses of glass on the International Tower. So I'm not as concerned about it.

Moore713, that is a very optimistic picture. I don't think though that just the presence of many workers in an office tower guarantees that they'll all go down to the street below and foster urban life. All else being equal, yes it is good to have lots of workers in close proximity, but there is a danger in brutalizing the space.

Classic example of brutalizing a space by the way is the Tour Montparnasse, which so overwhelmed the neighborhood below it that two years later Paris passed a law banning all buildings over 7 stories anywhere in the central city. The Montparnasse neighborhood never fully recovered its charm, although there's some places where you don't see the building.

I have mixed feelings about the International Tower... I love what it would do for the skyline, extending it north, and we can all agree it's better than a parking lot, but the point of my original post was to say that I think there might be a hidden blessing if this doesn't get built, assuming something else does in a few years. Just one man's opinion, though. :)

I think Stream Realty and Essex Commercial Properties will just try to get International Tower out of the ground during the next office boom if they can't get it up during this one. Same way Bookfield and Crescent is trying again with their proposed office towers.

I think Stream Realty and Essex Commercial Properties will just try to get International Tower out of the ground during the next office boom if they can't get it up during this one. Same way Bookfield and Crescent is trying again with their proposed office towers.

Bookfield may finally have the captial did,nt they just make a huge sell of one their buildings

I contemplated whether or not to post this - we own in midtown and go out downtown a lot! My job took me west this week and I work with Air LIQUIDE - thy recently announced they are. Holding a 20 story campus in EC - man I know I'm gonna catch heat but - couldn't any of those companies build move DT ? I literally flew home all week on the Katy tollway but how long is that possible? Anyway probably not the best topic to post this but the wind has been taken out of my DT loving sails - someone pick me up...

I work on Park Row... there is no possible way you "fly" home using the regular lanes. However if you're sucked in to the hctra's scheme then it is quite possible.

Archived