Union Bar & Lounge At 2708 Bagby St.

HTexas

I noticed the marquee today at Union Bar on Bagby stating "OTC Now Hiring". There is a fresh coat of paint and I've seen people working on it this week. The bar started out more upscale and seemed to turn into a dive. Does anyone know anything about what is going on with the revamp? I hope they do something worthwhile since I live so close by and would enjoy a cafe or less rowdy bar!

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely official. I got a "Notice of Application" in the mail from TABC stating that OTC Midtown was getting a permit to sell alcoholic beverages. Owner is Strauss Bier Haus, LLC and the memo also references business partners Andy Aweida and Mohammad Baratizadeh. Hope that they turn out good. I noticed on the Facebook page that they reference "Pizza Grill"...that makes me happier that they potentially have something else to go there for other than drinks. I really enjoyed Dogwood last Thursday, but definitely have to go very early to get a seat and less noise. Beautiful place and inventive food.

Yes!!! I got my Notice of Application in the Mail yesterday..From OTC and dated on the App was said it was dated as sent on March 18th...As a resident here for 5-years. Having endured 5 years of Union bar Noise..drunk customers cars parking up and down the niegborhood, streets fights from union bar patrons... having the valet charge and park on public streets and on private property without the owners permissions and having the valet park acrossand block our drive way once, I have enjoyed the PEACE and QUIET since Union Bar Went under...There was a lawsuit agianst OTC and two other bars at the Kirby avenue location and i dont know if they were flushed out and into our Neighborhood..I really dont want another rude loud Bar...and i think this one is open until 2 am 7 days a week..do we want that?????? Food or not....I hope all who got their notifications will send it back in with thier concerns..we do not need another Bad Neighbor like Union Bar!!!!!!

Edited by kkirchemshk

Um, it's a bar being replaced by a bar in a bar-heavy part of town. What exactly is the issue here?

They didn't like the bar that was there before either. So the issue is that they don't like a rowdy bar being next to them.

Edited by kylejack

I will admit, OTC would not be my first choice if I lived in the area. Nevertheless, youre judging a bar that hasnt even opened yet. I just wonder if you would be happy with *any* similar business in that location. Your townhouse may have been there before Union, but not before the building itself, which was clearly retail. Bagby is not exactly a quiet, neighborhood street, so, particularly considering the lack of zoning, there was always a risk of a rowdy bar moving in.

And yes, if Texans are stupid, what exactly are you?

• Like 1

I will admit, OTC would not be my first choice if I lived in the area. Nevertheless, youre judging a bar that hasnt even opened yet.

OTC already has another location that has had problems with a neighbor. What's wrong with judging something from prior acts just because it hasn't opened this particular location yet? It's a free country and they're free to judge.

I'm not judging them for being anti-OTC. I am also anti-OTC. But, at the very least, the staff will be largely different between the two locations. I'm sure there will be some overlap, but if the manager and most of the staff are different, it's at least possible that the bagby location will be run a bit differently, at least in terms of how it relates to the neighborhood. 

Hmm...and you'd like sympathy from me? 

Good luck.

No,

I will admit, OTC would not be my first choice if I lived in the area. Nevertheless, youre judging a bar that hasnt even opened yet. I just wonder if you would be happy with *any* similar business in that location. Your townhouse may have been there before Union, but not before the building itself, which was clearly retail. Bagby is not exactly a quiet, neighborhood street, so, particularly considering the lack of zoning, there was always a risk of a rowdy bar moving in.

And yes, if Texans are stupid, what exactly are you?

Not a Texan...

I'm not judging them for being anti-OTC. I am also anti-OTC. But, at the very least, the staff will be largely different between the two locations. I'm sure there will be some overlap, but if the manager and most of the staff are different, it's at least possible that the bagby location will be run a bit differently, at least in terms of how it relates to the neighborhood. 

Well, if OTC has had a history of being a problem in the kirby Location then I guess I would be worried that the second location might be as well..we are just tired of what went on with Union Bar...Google OTC lawsuit...the majority of people who frequent these clubs and bars do not live here..I just do not want to live in another washington street...

It's a tough choice. Some neighborhoods are predictably quiet, safe - and boring.Others are stimulating, have a 'cool' factor, convenient - and are overrun by irritating people. To coin a phrase, Caveat emptor. If you move to a tourist town, don't complain about tourism. 

One of the disadvantages of having no zoning in Houston is that the same laws apply to nightclub districts as to traditionally residential areas. Any fool who moves into a new townhome next door to an existing bar have the same rights as the person who chooses a more traditionally residential neighborhood. On the other hand, some businesses which have thrived for years suddenly has to curtail live music if a neighbor complains - and the incentive to open a venue where live music can be performed is compromised. 

At any rate, I hope the new occupants are better than the previous ones. Good luck!

Yes!!! I got my Notice of Application in the Mail yesterday..From OTC and dated on the App was said it was dated as sent on March 18th...As a resident here for 5-years. Having endured 5 years of Union bar Noise..drunk customers cars parking up and down the niegborhood, streets fights from union bar patrons... having the valet charge and park on public streets and on private property without the owners permissions and having the valet park acrossand block our drive way once, I have enjoyed the PEACE and QUIET since Union Bar Went under...There was a lawsuit agianst OTC and two other bars at the Kirby avenue location and i dont know if they were flushed out and into our Neighborhood..I really dont want another rude loud Bar...and i think this one is open until 2 am 7 days a week..do we want that?????? Food or not....I hope all who got their notifications will send it back in with thier concerns..we do not need another Bad Neighbor like Union Bar!!!!!!

I feel your pain brother. No zoning sucks! And its not easy to just sell your home and pick up and move. 

No,

Not a Texan...

Clearly. But, you don't seem to be complaining about padding your bank account with Texas earned money while complaining about stupid Texans.

By the way, we are stupid Houstonians. The rest of the state has the zoning that you prefer...and that we Houstonians have specifically rejected. More than once.

The OTC Bar will will be open 7 days a week until 2 am..already they are Violating agreements about the building with tabc and the Neighbors...I Urge **EVERY NEIGHBOR** to fill out the TABC app that was sent and protest the Application that OTC is applying for..by the way they will be operating on Union bars Liquor License for the time being until OTC gets their approval.

Clearly. But, you don't seem to be complaining about padding your bank account with Texas earned money while complaining about stupid Texans.

By the way, we are stupid Houstonians. The rest of the state has the zoning that you prefer...and that we Houstonians have specifically rejected. More than once.

And you'll find the same sort of disputes raging in cities with zoning...

• 3 weeks later...

If a bar is going to have live music then that bar should have the proper sound proofing of their building so that people outside of that bar CAN'T hear anything.

For all of you saying "Well you moved in knowing there was a bar nearby", what if you lived in a neighborhood for over 20+ years and then one day someone decides to turn the house next to yours into a bar. How are you going to feel then?