Sign in to follow this  
kylejack

Marfreless Bar and Lounge To Close

Sorry to hear that.  A little bit of local folklore gone.  I was only there once or twice myself.  Given its reputation, I found it a tad embarrassing going in.

Really?

I've only been two times and am too young to know about what it "used" to be, but I really like the place. Both times they had a good crowd so I wonder why they are closing.

They're getting squeezed by The Devil, who also goes by the name Weingarten Realty.

Edited by kylejack

Rent:

2011: 8400

2012: 9200

2013: 10000

According to some guy on Twitter. Weingarten thinks some bar will be willing to pay $10K for a windowless space without 4 decades of clientele? Fat chance.

I wondered if it was still around. I used to go there after work at Hobbit Hole a few blocks away, in the mid-19970s. Still my favorite bar atmosphere, except for the smoke.

Now that it's closing, I feel it's okay to talk about it now.

I used to go to Marf's during my single days in the 90's.  It was wonderfully seedy and the waitresses selectively blind.

The newest state of Marf's was disappointing after.  To me it was "Disney-ized" and brought it a different crowd I didn't care to see and hang out with. 

If those walls could talk...esp that back room.

Then again, all you needed was a black light and the tales can guessed at from there.

Now that it's closing, I feel it's okay to talk about it now.

I used to go to Marf's during my single days in the 90's.  It was wonderfully seedy and the waitresses selectively blind.

The newest state of Marf's was disappointing after.  To me it was "Disney-ized" and brought it a different crowd I didn't care to see and hang out with. 

If those walls could talk...esp that back room.

Then again, all you needed was a black light and the tales can guessed at from there.

Agreed. Place was too plastic once the new owners got hold of it. I haven't been in there in probably 7 or 8 years.

Yeah the 80's were a blast there.  The 2000 reincarnation was a step down.  Last time I went was when we had a happy hr there.

They might as well have changed the name. A doorman, dress code, valet, and bottle service (a near-foolproof litmus test for the d-bag in its native habitat)? No thanks.

• Like 1

Supposedly, the new owners are using the new name illegally, which means it could have one of two outcomes:

1) The old owners win the suit and demand the current Marfreless change its name and branding, possibly with damages, possibly closure

2) The old owners did lose/transfer the name somehow and don't like the direction the new owners are taking it.