Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

It is only a rendering. Once completed I believe it will appear very sleek. It seems it may be almost 800 feet high. It is also bringing more jobs to Houston. I think Hines is next at 609 Main St. I have heard that a very tall skyscraper will go up by Minute Maid Park because it is out of HOU airport flight pattern. With the tax abatements a lot of buildings have already been announced. I believe a little boom is coming for downtown. I wonder what Trump is up to?

Cool, did you hear what kind I tower and when?

• Like 1

Anyone else notice how it's shape emulates 1600 Smith by orientating it's mass with it (not to mention incorporating a similar spine-like window extrusion on the north facade). They even preserved some of the views of the KBR-Kellog tower by tucking most of the tower mass into the corner at Smith and Pease. This is certainly no "speed stick" design except in the application of a similar cladding scheme. I'm impressed most of all by it's potential height.

Edited by infinite_jim

It is only a rendering.  Once completed I believe it will appear very sleek.  It seems it may be almost 800 feet high.  It is also bringing more jobs to Houston.  I think Hines is next at 609 Main St.  I have heard that a very tall skyscraper will go up by Minute Maid Park because it is out of HOU airport flight pattern.  With the tax abatements a lot of buildings have already been announced.  I believe a little boom is coming for downtown.  I wonder what Trump is up to?  

Source?

• Like 1

While I'm not crazy about what I've seen of it so far, it'll make a nice impact on the skyline from Midtown and parts of Montrose which is a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing more renderings from different angles.

I wonder how the design meeting went at HOK...

9am, Main conference room

VP of design of HOK: "I'll bet you're curious why I've gathered you all here today for this meeting.  Well, Chevron has decided to build the largest sq footage building in downtown Houston in the past 30 years.  This will be a historic building that will make its mark on the fabulous Houston skyline.  After much thought, I'm here to present you with the design.

heads to unveil the rendering in the front of the room

Here it is!  After much thought, I've incorporated the exact same glass from the other two Chevron buildings, and we've fashioned it in a perfectly symmetrical BOX. One of our finest designs yet!"

I'll put the bill in the mail to Chevron tomorrow.  Total man hours worked from the HOK side: 1.5."

• Like 3

VP of design of HOK: "I'll bet you're curious why I've gathered you all here today for this meeting. Well, Chevron has decided to build the largest sq footage building in downtown Houston in the past 30 years. This will be a historic building that will make its mark on the fabulous Houston skyline. After much thought, I'm here to present you with the design.

Here it is! After much thought, I've incorporated the exact same glass from the other two Chevron buildings, and we've fashioned it in a perfectly symmetrical BOX. One of our finest designs yet!"

I'll put the bill in the mail to Chevron tomorrow. Total man hours worked from the HOK side: 1.5."

It's as if firms give Houston their leftover designs.

For a simple building, however, it does seem very nice.

wait -- is that just a big huge box?  Is there ANYTHING interesting about this building, aside from the bottom?  What an architectural failure if it's just a box.  Anybody seen the other side?  Is that the interesting side, by chance?

while i admit i wasnt blown away by the design (but its finally official!!!), look at the rendering and tell me it does 1500 Louisiana or 1400 Smith Street any justice. those buildings look mediocre in that rendering too but they look great in person. i think this tower has potential to turn out much better than what this rendering shows. there also appears to be a recessed section in the tower on the right side (and probably a matching recessed side on the left). i guess we will find out more about the building as more renderings become available, but i wouldnt write it off just yet..

• Like 5

while i admit i wasnt blown away by the design (but its finally official!!!), look at the rendering and tell me it does 1500 Louisiana or 1400 Smith Street any justice. those buildings look mediocre in that rendering too but they look great in person. i think this tower has potential to turn out much better than what this rendering shows. there also appears to be a recessed section in the tower on the right side (and probably a matching recessed side on the left). i guess we will find out more about the building as more renderings become available, but i wouldnt write it off just yet..

This is how I feel about it with that rendering as well.  It looks very squatty from this angle despite the fact it's probably around 750'.  It is somewhat underwhelming but the existing buildings look very dull compared to reality.  The lower pedestrian levels do look very cool and modern though.  I look forward to seeing more.

The spot the tower is going to be built in is surrounded by other tall, impressive towers. I think in this case height is the only factor that would make this building really stand out and command it's own presence (at least at a distance). If instead of this tower, Chevron were going to build some revolutionary design, but it wasn't any taller than the buildings that surround it, it would be sort of a waste of a good design. In this case, because of the height, a glass box will work just fine and will only make the Houston downtown skyline more beautiful.

Edited by Hugh Stone

So this thing isn't even going to break ground for almost another yeat at least. What's the usual timeline for a building this big to go from surface lot removal to occupancy? 2 years?

For what it's worth it looked like they had fencing on site today on my commute home

80 postings in less than 12 hours on a single thread at HAIF is talking about it. Get over it already King Owl, we heard you, the first 10 times. The building is cool.  Most people are going to like it.  Chevron can't please everyone, especially the google crowd. They have to keep this modest.  People would be whining all over the world if Chevron built something excessive. Remember they are an evil OIL company and they get enough negative press for excessive spending and keeping gas at $4 per gallon. Just be happy they are going higher than the surrounding buildings and for the impact it will make downtown. Some cities would sacrifice a virgin for this tower. 

Don't worry, it will get enough attention.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 2

80 postings in less than 12 hours on a single thread at HAIF is talking about it. Get over it already King Owl, we heard you, the first 10 times. The building is cool. Most people are going to like it. Chevron can't please everyone, especially the google crowd. They have to keep this modest. People would be whining all over the world if Chevron built something excessive. Remember they are an evil OIL company and they get enough negative press for excessive spending and keeping gas at $4 per gallon. Just be happy they are going higher than the surrounding buildings and for the impact it will make downtown. Some cities would sacrifice a virgin for this tower.

Don't worry, it will get enough attention.

Simmer down, simmer down.

I think they easily could have upgraded the look without receiving excessive criticism. 99% of people in the US will never even know they're building this. A nicer tower would not have received national attention. Maybe I'm wrong.

Simmer down, simmer down.

I think they easily could have upgraded the look without receiving excessive criticism. 99% of people in the US will never even know they're building this. A nicer tower would not have received national attention. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe, but not everyone (outside HAIFville) has problems with glass boxes. Some people actually like them. I've always been a fan of streamlined, non-oramented, simple, clean design. It's done a lot in Houston for sure, and thats fine by me. We do it well. 

Obviously I'm not alone in this opinion because the downtown Houston skyline has been impressing the world for a very long time now. This building won't hurt Houston at all.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

@ King Owl: You're sure now?  While extremely vital, I don't think people are completely clear on your position. Try using all caps next time and maybe someone at Cheveron will hear you.

Let's just keep it in perspective, the McDonalds never got 80 postings in 1/2 a day before.

I must have struck a nerve with you -- relax, champ.

If your bar for success is good height, then you got it.  If your definition of grand architecture is a box with the same glass used on the original 1400 Smith building 30 years ago, then you got it, too.  

by the way it's written "Chevron", just so you know  :P

but seriously, all in all I do commend Chevron for their commitment to downtown Houston, and their commitment to building a tall skyscraper.  I just wish they had shown a bit more creativity on the design, that's all.

• Like 2

I'd also add that the building will not be nearly that "blue". If it is to mirror the other Chevron buildings (Enron 1 and 2) then this building will most certainly be metallic or silver in nature. That will also help it stand out prolly.

Maybe, but not everyone (outside HAIFville) has problems with glass boxes. Some people actually like them. I've always been a fan of streamlined, non-oramented, simple, clean design. It's done a lot in Houston for sure, and thats fine by me. We do it well. 

Obviously I'm not alone in this opinion because the downtown Houston skyline has been impressing the world for a very long time now. This building won't hurt Houston at all.

We have enough of those. King Owl's sentiments are shared by many.

I like how how this tower works with the others that surround it. What's so wrong with buildings complementing each other vs competing with each other? That's what they do in Dallas, and their hodgepodge of a skyline has all the grace of a table at a pot luck dinner. Every building there is in business for itself with no regard whatsoever with the buildings that surround it.  

Houston's skyline is so exceptionally beautiful because the buildings work together as a cohesive unit. Those boxes that everybody loves to complain about is EXACTLY what makes makes Houston's downtown skyline look good. There are enough supporting buildings around to allow the 'stars' to shine. Also, their are many ways for a building to add to a skyline other than pointy roofs or trendy spires. Color, texture, height, contours ect. can and do contribute to the overall effect of a skyline (and other things).  Sometimes these combinations help, sometimes they hurt. In this case, using similar glass makes some sense. The new building is apart of a collection, so I can at least understand why an architect would want to use a glassy style that would fit in with the other parts of the collection. 

Could C-H-E-V-R-O-N have gone a little less predictable? Sure. But this works. Not saying this is going to be the most beautiful building in the world. But it supports it's neighbors and will make an impact on the skyline - in an understated, yet commanding way. 

I get it. One man's 'understated' is another man's 'boring'.  Just as one man's 'dynamic' is another man's 'tacky'.

King Owl's opinions may be shared by some amateur internet architecture critic wannabees (no offense to anybody as I am one), but unfortunately for you all, not by anyone that counts (decision makers).

No hard feelings tho, not everyone's going to get what they want. I think I figured out that you were disappointed on your 3rd posting today, Mr. Owl. But their is no harm making certain that EVERYONE in Houston knows your stance, just in case they missed it the first 10 times that you posted it today. I do it all the time and everybody LOVES me!

And just so YOU know King, sentences usually begin with capitol letters. But, we all make typos and take liberties every once and a while. It will be o.k.  - or do I need to make 10 more posting saying the SAME THING just to make certain that you understand my point of view.  :P   :P

Edited by Mister X

VP of design of HOK: "I'll bet you're curious why I've gathered you all here today for this meeting. Well, Chevron has decided to build the largest sq footage building in downtown Houston in the past 30 years. This will be a historic building that will make its mark on the fabulous Houston skyline. After much thought, I'm here to present you with the design.

Here it is! After much thought, I've incorporated the exact same glass from the other two Chevron buildings, and we've fashioned it in a perfectly symmetrical BOX. One of our finest designs yet!"

I'll put the bill in the mail to Chevron tomorrow. Total man hours worked from the HOK side: 1.5."

+1,000,000

You just won the internet, sir.

I like how how this tower works with the others that surround it. What's so wrong with buildings complementing each other vs competing with each other? That's what they do in Dallas, and their hodgepodge of a skyline has all the grace of a table at a pot luck dinner. Every building there is in business for itself with no regard whatsoever with the buildings that surround it.  

Houston's skyline is so exceptionally beautiful because the buildings work together as a cohesive unit. Could C-H-E-V-R-O-N have gone a little less predictable? Sure. But this works. Not saying this is going to be the most beautiful building in the world. But it supports it's neighbors and will make an impact on the skyline - in an understated, yet commanding way.

I get it. One man's 'understated' is another man's 'boring'.  Just as one man's 'dynamic' is another man's 'tacky'.

King Owl's opinions may be shared by some amateur internet architecture critic wannabees (no offense to anybody as I am one), but unfortunately for you all, not by anyone that counts (decision makers).

No hard feelings tho, not everyone's going to get what they want. I think I figured out that you were disappointed on your 3rd posting today, Mr. Owl. But their is no harm making certain that EVERYONE in Houston knows your stance, just in case they missed it the first 10 times that you posted it today. I do it all the time and everybody LOVES me!

And just so YOU know King, sentences usually begin with capitol letters. But, we all make typos and take liberties every once and a while. It will be o.k.  - or do I need to make 10 more posting saying the SAME THING just to make certain that you understand my point of view.  :P   :P

His opinion would probably be shared by many world-renowned architects. It's probably even shared with many Chevron associates. Also everyone here knows we are not the decision makers but this is a forum where we voice them.

well, if this is "Chevron's answer" to the ExxonMobil campus, then I'd tell them they've missed the mark.  They had a chance to do something really cool with this building that would get people talking, but they squandered it.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Chevron did do something really cool with this building; LOCATION. 

A 50 story tower and a bustling urban campus is going to get a lot more people talking than a sprawling campus hidden away in a part of the metro that most people never even visit. 

• Like 7

I don't know how many people have read the book "The Rise of the Creative Class" but Florida makes the assertion that in demand, talented employees prefer to work in diverse, 'quality of place' cities. On a micro level, it will see which one attracts the most sought after employees:  Exxon Mobil, with its self contained suburban campus, or Chevron, with a significant investment in downtown and all that will be available to downtown workers. Throw in a third options, the Energy Companies located in the Energy Corridor and it should be interesting.

My guess is that it will come down to $$$ BUT with all things equal, it will be interesting to see which one of these three locations attracts more quality employees. Downtown lifestyle of suburban lifestyle.