Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Mexico is ending their oil monopoly, inviting foreign investment. Look for oil prices to drop and production there doubles in the next few years.

you would think that if Chevron grabs a chunk of that, they'll need more office space... lol

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-16/north-america-to-drown-in-oil-as-mexico-ends-monopoly.html

This tower is like 1/170th the cost of the Australia project and they can't manage to squeeze this tower into their budget? Lame.. Hopefully 2015 brings us better news

Thats what I was thinking.

"My budgets kinda strapped right now and I wanna finish building out my home theatre setup so im not gonna buy any gum this month."

• Like 1

This isn't a problem of budget, rather a problem of cash flow.  This project is critical to the future of their operations, they will likely start sooner than one they announced.  In the meantime look on the bright side, this does allow time for redesign!!!

I can imagine when the RE team goes in front of the capex committee to request additional funds for the redesign: "I know we are billions of dollars over budget on other projects, but we really need more money on this one, the haifers don't like the design!" 

• Like 3

I would assume that a large reason for this tower is to compete with Exxon for talent.  This shiny new tower in downtown vs Exxon's shiny campus in the boonies.  As much as I hate that they have a cash flow issue delaying it, I am still confident that they will build it.  

• Like 1

This tower is like 1/170th the cost of the Australia project and they can't manage to squeeze this tower into their budget? Lame.. Hopefully 2015 brings us better news

Not lame at all. You need to focus not on the total Australia cost, most of which was already budgeted/allocated, but on the unexpected increase of $2 Billion. The company has a certain amount of money available for capital projects. They aren't the federal Government, which can just print more money.

I would assume that a large reason for this tower is to compete with Exxon for talent.  This shiny new tower in downtown vs Exxon's shiny campus in the boonies.  As much as I hate that they have a cash flow issue delaying it, I am still confident that they will build it.  

Boonies? You speak like you're from a small little town somewhere. You people need to wake up and realize that The Woodlands is a major economic hub now in a county pushing over 500,000 people. I'm not sure ''Boonies'' is the word I would have chosen for it. The campus (Exxon) is sitting on the Harris/Montgomery county line. If it were in Willis or Huntsville, then I could agree.

• Like 1

How about "BFE"? The woodlands is definitely out there for folks wanting to live in a big city. I don't know anyone that is excited about the new Exxon campus so I'm not sure chevron needs the tower to compete for talent. My understanding s that Exxon is anticipating having some retention issuers wih the move . . . .

• Like 2

Boonies? You speak like you're from a small little town somewhere. You people need to wake up and realize that The Woodlands is a major economic hub now in a county pushing over 500,000 people. I'm not sure ''Boonies'' is the word I would have chosen for it. The campus (Exxon) is sitting on the Harris/Montgomery county line. If it were in Willis or Huntsville, then I could agree.

Hardly.

This isn't a problem of budget, rather a problem of cash flow.  This project is critical to the future of their operations, they will likely start sooner than one they announced.  In the meantime look on the bright side, this does allow time for redesign!!!

I can imagine when the RE team goes in front of the capex committee to request additional funds for the redesign: "I know we are billions of dollars over budget on other projects, but we really need more money on this one, the haifers don't like the design!" 

True, but I bet the RE team is not the only group that has input on projects this big. If anything they're probably just a middle man at least for the facade design.

Boonies? You speak like you're from a small little town somewhere. You people need to wake up and realize that The Woodlands is a major economic hub now in a county pushing over 500,000 people. I'm not sure ''Boonies'' is the word I would have chosen for it. The campus (Exxon) is sitting on the Harris/Montgomery county line. If it were in Willis or Huntsville, then I could agree.

The Woodlands is a shining emerald in a sea of booniness. You might say it's the Houston of Montgomery County... As Houston is to Texas.

• Like 1

The woodlands is very far from everything except itself.

Its far from many things important, but it's not really that far from the Houston Urban Area.

In fact the Exxon Campus is closer to the city of spring than to The Woodlands CDP. I don't know why the Conroe/ Woodlands UA is separate from Houston UA, because the development seems continuous for a large area. But the Exxon plant will definitely cement the two urban areas together.

Houston UA had 4.944M people in 2010, Conroe/Woodlands had .240M, Dallas Fort worth had 5.121M. If the Woodlands was part of Houston Urban area the totsl would be 5.184M which would make the Houston urban area bigger.

It would be really odd for Chevron to build head quarters in Conroe. Now that would be out there

Its far from many things important, but it's not really that far from the Houston Urban Area.

In fact the Exxon Campus is closer to the city of spring than to The Woodlands CDP. I don't know why the Conroe/ Woodlands UA is separate from Houston UA, because the development seems continuous for a large area. But the Exxon plant will definitely cement the two urban areas together.

Houston UA had 4.944M people in 2010, Conroe/Woodlands had .240M, Dallas Fort worth had 5.121M. If the Woodlands was part of Houston Urban area the totsl would be 5.184M which would make the Houston urban area bigger.

It would be really odd for Chevron to build head quarters in Conroe. Now that would be out there

Being close to Conroe and Spring is still far from anything of note.

• Like 1

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Chevron-purchases-downtown-block-5112259.php

Chevron purchase a downtown block 

In late November, the oil and gas giant acquired the block bounded by Milam, Travis, Leeland and Pease. The property is used primarily as a surface parking lot, but it contains a low-rise office building at its southwest corner.

Also a update on the push back on the announced building

About two weeks ago, Chevron said it decided to push back construction of its new tower. Explaining the delay, Higgs said the company was in a "unique, capitally intensive period" and for the time being that it would be focusing its resources elsewhere.

He said Chevron was still committed to building the tower and that the delay would not affect previously announced employee moves to Houston. The decision on when to resume the project would not be made until after 2014.

• Like 3

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Chevron-purchases-downtown-block-5112259.php

Chevron purchase a downtown block 

Also a update on the push back on the announced building

woah.. what does Chevron want with that block? thats the one south of the ExxonMobil building.. i know that along with the YMCA block at 1600, they also own the block east of 1500 Louisiana for a future 4th tower.. could the new block be for a parking garage for all these new workers?

and who owns/what is the structure on the block just east of YMCA/south of the Chevron daycare block? its directly between the new plot they bought and the rest of their campus..