Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

It's rather bland at first glance, but it's going to make an impact on the skyline. 50 stories + a potential 7 story base would put this tower over 700 feet if the rendering is close to accurate.

More importantly though, I totally appreciate Chevron's commitment to downtown. 1,700,000 square feet = thousands of workers being added to the downtown workforce. A huge building like this, 100% leased, has the potential to spur nearby development too... 

Here's my dream, with Chevron occupying 3 huge towers, it seems like a perfect place to erect a new, high-end, hotel/condo tower. Those folks doing work at Chevron, especially the Bay Area brass, would love to own a few corporate units in, say, a Ritz-Carlton or Mandarin Oriental. And the folks traveling on high end biz travel would book those rooms in a heart beat. So, some developer out there, come give us a sleek, 30+ story modern marvel on the Southern end of downtown near Chevron's campus.

• Like 3

Everyone should be giving a big thanks to Tangledwoods, King Owl and whothrewpoo for kick starting the rumors. They were all pretty much spot in.

Sadly, someone questioned whothrewpoo too strongly and ran her off. Hopefully she'll come back.

• Like 1

Strange that the HBJ got the scoop on how many additional employees will be hired for this expansion but Nancy Sarnoff from the Chronicle only posted the press release stating: "Chevron U.S.A. is planning to build a new downtown skyscraper for its growing Houston workforce"

FROM THE HBJ ARTICLE: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/07/03/chevron-plans-new-houston-building.html

"Chevron Corp., which already has a presence of about 9,000 employees and contractors in Houston, is planning a new downtown office tower to accommodate its expansion in the city, which includes hiring another 1,752 workers."

Everyone should be giving a big thanks to Tangledwoods, King Owl and whothrewpoo for kick starting the rumors. They were all pretty much spot in.

Sadly, someone questioned whothrewpoo too strongly and ran her off. Hopefully she'll come back.

Jt16 had accurate intel a few weeks ago, too. Thanks!

Strange that the HBJ got the scoop on how many additional employees will be hired for this expansion but Nancy Sarnoff from the Chronicle only posted the press release stating: "Chevron U.S.A. is planning to build a new downtown skyscraper for its growing Houston workforce"

FROM THE HBJ ARTICLE: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/07/03/chevron-plans-new-houston-building.html

"Chevron Corp., which already has a presence of about 9,000 employees and contractors in Houston, is planning a new downtown office tower to accommodate its expansion in the city, which includes hiring another 1,752 workers."

which is great not just for Down town getting a new building. but the residental market.. the  high level execs will have the new condos places downtown, and the other employees, will be a big boost for areas like midtown, east end,heights ,etc. That is assuming that  most or half will be transfers from  out of town.

I see Nancy has updated her article with the statement from the Governors office:

UPDATE – The tower project is set to reap a nice financial boost from state. Gov. Rick Perry said the Texas Enterprise Fund will contribute $12 million to the Chevron project. The development, he said, will create 1,752 jobs. Those new jobs, according to Chevron spokesman Russell Johnson, will be new hires to support the company’s growth in Houston over the next several years.

The public incentive deal requires Chevron to receive a “local incentive,” as well, the state said. Chevron is in discussions with the city of Houston about the availability of economic development programs for the property, Johnson said, adding: “There are no details to share at this time.”

Still, Chevron is being very careful not to ruffle any feathers in the San Ramon, CA headquarters.  In the letter to their employees they state:

"There are no plans to move Chevron Corporation’s headquarters to Houston. Also, there are no plans to sell or vacate our Bellaire or Briarpark properties at this time, though Chevron intends to consolidate its leased spaces into the downtown campus by the time of its completion in 2017.

I clearly expect a headquarters move to Houston sometime in 2017!  :D 

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

Other things that the building will have (that were not described in the original release):

• Will be a LEED Platinum Building
  • "around 4,000 new offices"
  • 4 levels of common areas
  • Outdoor green space
  • Apparently, another skywalk across Bell right next to Louisiana.
  • Like 2

I see Nancy has updated her article with the statement from the Governors office:

UPDATE – The tower project is set to reap a nice financial boost from state. Gov. Rick Perry said the Texas Enterprise Fund will contribute $12 million to the Chevron project. The development, he said, will create 1,752 jobs. Those new jobs, according to Chevron spokesman Russell Johnson, will be new hires to support the company’s growth in Houston over the next several years.

The public incentive deal requires Chevron to receive a “local incentive,” as well, the state said. Chevron is in discussions with the city of Houston about the availability of economic development programs for the property, Johnson said, adding: “There are no details to share at this time.”

Still, Chevron is being very careful not to ruffle any feathers in the San Ramon, CA headquarters.  In the letter to their employees they state:

"There are no plans to move Chevron Corporation’s headquarters to Houston. Also, there are no plans to sell or vacate our Bellaire or Briarpark properties at this time, though Chevron intends to consolidate its leased spaces into the downtown campus by the time of its completion in 2017.

I clearly expect a headquarters move to Houston sometime in 2017!  :D 

was'nt this the same thing exxon did where they deny that they would be moving people for almost a years ?

was'nt this the same thing exxon did where they deny that they would be moving people for almost a years ?

I'm not sure about all of the reasons for not moving from Bellaire. The two big groups out there either have a reason for remaining separate (the auditing group) or no compelling reason to collaborate with others downtown (the pipeline company). It could go either way.

However, the Briarpark facility has a lot of research laboratories, most of which you would not want anywhere near your downtown building. I could see them finding another new surburban low-rise facility before they ever go downtown. In either case, that's only a couple hundred employees anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about all of the reasons for not moving from Bellaire. The two big groups out there either have a reason for remaining separate (the auditing group) or no compelling reason to collaborate with others downtown (the pipeline company). It could go either way.

However, the Briarpark facility has a lot of research laboratories, most of which you would not want anywhere near your downtown building. I could see them finding another new surburban low-rise facility before they ever go downtown. In either case, that's only a couple hundred employees anyway.

Thats my motto "till they pour the first slam of contrete its still a maybe in this day and age"

It's amazing how, with few exceptions, downtown is turning into two downtowns. You have the area around Discovery Green that is really aiming to be designed 'around the pedestrian' with new hotels, entertainment, tourism centers, residential, sporting venues etc.and then you have the 'skyline district' which still likes the big boxy glass skyscrapers with little urban connectivity. the only break I see to this is the proposed Hines apartment building near Market Square. Other than that, most of that part of that part of downtown will not be as kind to the pedestrian, especially after hours. They always have the option to drop down into the tunnels.

... says: . More rumors??? Another one !!

July 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

come on chevron…why not a 100 story tower as Houston needs to have tallest building west of mississippi

——————————-

Don’t worry my friend. I have reliable sources that tell me a 100+ story tower is coming to DTHouston very soon.

• Like 1

It's amazing how, with few exceptions, downtown is turning into two downtowns. You have the area around Discovery Green that is really aiming to be designed 'around the pedestrian' with new hotels, entertainment, tourism centers, residential, sporting venues etc.and then you have the 'skyline district' which still likes the big boxy glass skyscrapers with little urban connectivity. the only break I see to this is the proposed Hines apartment building near Market Square. Other than that, most of that part of that part of downtown will not be as kind to the pedestrian, especially after hours. They always have the option to drop down into the tunnels.

I brought this up in the downtown residential incentives thread (i.e. mirroring the boundary line)and nobody seemed to care about mixed-use in that scale.

Other things that the building will have (that were not described in the original release):

• Will be a LEED Platinum Building
  • "around 4,000 new offices"
  • 4 levels of common areas
  • Outdoor green space
  • Apparently, another skywalk across Bell right next to Louisiana.

Good catch on that new skywalk.  Make sense -- Chevron recently acquired that additional parking garage.

• Like 1

Here's my dream, with Chevron occupying 3 huge towers, it seems like a perfect place to erect a new, high-end, hotel/condo tower. Those folks doing work at Chevron, especially the Bay Area brass, would love to own a few corporate units in, say, a Ritz-Carlton or Mandarin Oriental. And the folks traveling on high end biz travel would book those rooms in a heart beat. So, some developer out there, come give us a sleek, 30+ story modern marvel on the Southern end of downtown near Chevron's campus.

I think Brookfield is in a good position to do a mixed-use project like you're suggesting, with their 1500 Smith Street property. They could have a hotel/condo tower that could serve(and be directly connected to 1400 and 1600 Smith) both the Allen Center Complex and Chevron's campus. Two birds with one stone! Although that would require Brookfield building something!  ;)

Don’t worry my friend. I have reliable sources that tell me a 100+ story tower is coming to DTHouston very soon.

I hope those sources aren't just some voices in your head! We don't play around with stuff like that here  :P

• Like 4

... says: . More rumors??? Another one !!

July 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

come on chevron…why not a 100 story tower as Houston needs to have tallest building west of mississippi

——————————-

tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-0030

• Like 2

It is only a rendering.  Once completed I believe it will appear very sleek.  It seems it may be almost 800 feet high.  It is also bringing more jobs to Houston.  I think Hines is next at 609 Main St.  I have heard that a very tall skyscraper will go up by Minute Maid Park because it is out of HOU airport flight pattern.  With the tax abatements a lot of buildings have already been announced.  I believe a little boom is coming for downtown.  I wonder what Trump is up to?  

1.7 million sqft would make it the largest office building in Houston if that's only including rentable office space (and not parking garage, common space, etc)

There is zero reason to think that number would be just rentable office space.  That is almost certainly the total square footage.

JP Morgan Chase Tower has 1.98 million square feet.

Wells Fargo Plaza is over 1.8 million

Edited by Houston19514

There is zero reason to think that number would be just rentable office space.  That is almost certainly the total square footage.

JP Morgan Chase Tower has 1.98 million square feet.

Wells Fargo Plaza is over 1.8 million

My bad, that's why I inserted the disclaimer - I just knew there was no building in Houston above 2 million sqft and just a few over 1.5 million so figured this would be one of the largest ever.

Thanks for correcting me.., absolutely no ego here - just enjoying Houston's renaissance!