Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

I agree if the Devon tower was built here people would be complaining that it is boring and shaped like a box.

Really?

It has a great crown and very nice angles. Very elegant IMO. I think it would fit in beautifully with our skyline.

• Like 2

I agree if the Devon tower was built here people would be complaining that it is boring and shaped like a box.

Except it's not a box...

Devon has some nice features and is a perfect example on how to differentiate from a glass box. Very classy and not gaudy at all.

Edited by xsatyr

I can't understand why some here have a problem with many of us wanting something other than glass and stucco boxes. Almost as if were being accused of being spoiled children.

Houston is my city of choice, and I love it. having said that I want the best for my city, and when a building comes down the pike that will forever change it's skyline, I for one am hoping for something that shines.

• Like 2

850 feet would surely be a bit more than filler.

If it was outside of Downown, yeah. I consider anything that isn't greater then 250ft taller than a building a block or two away a filler. Unless it is so visually striking that it doesn't need height.

I wonder how the architects following the original tower built in 1983 took being told "same glass facade, but you can play with the shape." Cesar Pelli with the one in 2002, and now this one.

I thinks it's cool they have chosen different ones each time. I like that it will be the same color, but I wonder what other designs they have considered.

Edited by Montrose1100

The tower is not as tall or bold as many wanted but it adds to our skyline and complements the other towers downtown. Chevron wanted a cost efficient, centrally located, and comfortable office space for its employees and this new tower does that nicely. I was really hoping that they would build the city’s tallest tower but a tower that 75+ stories and 1000+ feet was probably never consider when researching what their new tower would be.

1.7 mil sqf in 50 floors is 34k sqf/floor, right?

The floor plates don't look nearly that big. 34k are huge floor plates, right?

im sure they are including the podium in that figure too, which looks to be quite large. if you count the floors on the tower, there are 50 floors ON TOP of the podium.

im sure they are including the podium in that figure too, which looks to be quite large. if you count the floors on the tower, there are 50 floors ON TOP of the podium.

That's what I figured, too. But the chron report says 1.7 sqf of "office space." The state of Texas press release just says 1.7 sqf tower, which is probably more accurate and makes more sense.

The floor plates look smallish, giving the tower a taller feel, which I like.

• Like 1

Except it's not a box...

Neither are a lot of our existing buildings, but we still routinely hear that Houston has nothing but flat-top boxes.

For example, one has to go down to the 9th tallest building downtown before one encounters a plain box.  (And even that (One Shell) is not really just a plain box.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Neither are a lot of our existing buildings, but we still routinely hear that Houston has nothing but flat-top boxes.

For example, one has to go down to the 9th tallest building downtown before one encounters a plain box.  (And even that (One Shell) is not really just a plain box.)

i agree with this for the most part. is 2IFC in Hong Kong just a boring box? its corners are squared, but its sides are rounded and has some distinct vertical lines running up the tower. im not saying this will be a 2IFC because it doesnt have a neat architectural feature at the top, but the corners of this tower are rounded off and the sides appear to be convexed outward, with two recessed sections on the north and south sides of the tower running up the length of the building. not "just a box".

The majority of the tallest NYC buildings are boxy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_New_York_City

true.. its just so much cheaper and more efficient to build a box and keep the floor plates the same shape all the way up the building. im sure the building will turn out much nicer than the rendering makes it out to me. that rendering does absolutely no justice to 1500 Louisiana or 1400 Smith and they are some of the nicest buildings in our skyline IMO.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to make a post persistent at the top of the thread so I didn't have to keep skipping back 5 pages to find the rendering. I thought I'd put it here again to save other people the trouble. I really wish we could see this from more angles. What's that groove along the one side? I wonder if the side facing the bayou where all of the Houston skyline photos are taken from has a similar feature or if it's just flat. At least it's a rounded rectangle floor plate rather than a simple box.

9204536268_404c236766_h.jpg

• Like 2

I wish there was a way to make a post persistent at the top of the thread so I didn't have to keep skipping back 5 pages to find the rendering. I thought I'd put it here again to save other people the trouble. I really wish we could see this from more angles. What's that groove along the one side? I wonder if the side facing the bayou where all of the Houston skyline photos are taken from has a similar feature or if it's just flat. At least it's a rounded rectangle floor plate rather than a simple box.

Certainly would be nice to have an easily accessible picture of the latest renderings at the top of each thread. I come across that problem a lot.

• Like 1

here is a rendering of the base from the south east, showing the same recessed grooves on the south face of the tower as well. maybe they will implement some lighting in the grooves?

new-chevron-plinth-rendering.jpg

Edited by cloud713

true.. its just so much cheaper and more efficient to build a box and keep the floor plates the same shape all the way up the building. im sure the building will turn out much nicer than the rendering makes it out to me. that rendering does absolutely no justice to 1500 Louisiana or 1400 Smith and they are some of the nicest buildings in our skyline IMO.

As I've said before, those cool looking buildings in the Middle East are a pain for tenants, as it's difficult and expensive to design usable floor plans in a building that's not squarish.

here is a rendering of the base from the south east, showing the same recessed grooves on the south face of the tower as well. maybe they will implement some lighting in the grooves?

new-chevron-plinth-rendering.jpg

It doesn't look so much like a recessed groove as it does an offset. There may be an offset on the other side that matches this one.

The rendering in post #257 gives a better view of the offset. Look at the top of the building. It looks like one side goes inward, and the other overlaps it.

Edited by RedScare

It doesn't look so much like a recessed groove as it does an offset. There may be an offset on the other side that matches this one.

The rendering in post #257 gives a better view of the offset. Look at the top of the building. It looks like one side goes inward, and the other overlaps it.

agreed, its not just a "groove" in the side of a flat/curved? wall. the whole middle section is recessed in on both north and south sides. 

It may just be an illusion, but the far side of the grove (north-west side) appears to go slightly higher than the other side in the rendering. 

I think that's just a product of the groove.  The white line around the roof matches up exactly with it going from the recessed portion back to the standard facade.

• Like 1

lol ricco.. can we all agree this is about a 58 story tower? assuming the rendering is correct.

It'd probably be better to just compare it to the Devon tower, same floor count with slightly less total space. Wouldn't be surprising if it were over 800 feet.

Edited by ClutchCity

What are the possibilities of the executives moving corporate headquarters to Houston in the near future? someone on another message board seems to be pretty sure it will happen within the next 5 years and those executives will be moving into the old Exxonmobil building, expanding Chevrons campus even further.

Not going to happen on the ExxonMobil building. Too far away from the other buildings to be able to meet face to face with people during a hectic work day. Odds are if there was a need for a 4th tower it would go where the current daycare building is as it could be connected via sky-bridge.

So on the relocation question... who knows...

Global Upstream is headquartered in Houston, but there is a great deal of benefit of having your HQ's on the west coast when Asia Pacific is where the future is. Again, who knows?

It'd probably be better to just compare it to the Devon tower, same floor count with slightly less total space. Wouldn't be surprising if it were over 800 feet.

im excited looking at the height of the Devon tower now.. 50 floors and 850 feet? i wonder if the floors go up into the ^ part at the top or if thats an architectural feature increasing the height. but if you look at the rendering of Chevron tower there are 50 floors on top of the podium, and the top and bottom floor of the tower are 2 floors high, and each floor of the podium is about 2 floors high, making 58 stories.

Not going to happen on the ExxonMobil building. Too far away from the other buildings to be able to meet face to face with people during a hectic work day. Odds are if there was a need for a 4th tower it would go where the current daycare building is as it could be connected via sky-bridge.

So on the relocation question... who knows...

Global Upstream is headquartered in Houston, but there is a great deal of benefit of having your HQ's on the west coast when Asia Pacific is where the future is. Again, who knows?

thats what i was thinking originally too. figured the daycare would be a great lot for the tower but then some dude came in saying there were anchors for the building preventing major development on those 4 lots. the guy who mentioned HQ relocations said Chevrons preferred situation would be to tear down Exxon and rebuild a tower, which makes me wonder if there are truths to the 4 anchors rumor and when they rebuilt they would put the tower on the daycare lot instead of running a huge podium across an entire city block.

as for your point on HQ relocations, true thats where a lot of future business will be, but a lot of the new oil is coming from places like Brazil and Venezuela (they have the largest oil deposits in the world) in south america, and Houston is sort of a gateway to the south. i guess it could go either way

Edited by cloud713