Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

This snippet from the WSJ...

"Final investment decision for the project, designed by HOK, is expected in the second quarter of 2014. Groundbreaking will follow final investment decision, and occupancy is anticipated to begin in the fourth quarter of 2016."

How many times does the first public rendering turn out to be the one we see built? What are the odds this rendering changes between now and "final investment decision?"

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

I don't know how many people have read the book "The Rise of the Creative Class" but Florida makes the assertion that in demand, talented employees prefer to work in diverse, 'quality of place' cities. On a micro level, it will see which one attracts the most sought after employees:  Exxon Mobil, with its self contained suburban campus, or Chevron, with a significant investment in downtown and all that will be available to downtown workers. Throw in a third options, the Energy Companies located in the Energy Corridor and it should be interesting.

My guess is that it will come down to $$$ BUT with all things equal, it will be interesting to see which one of these three locations attracts more quality employees. Downtown lifestyle of suburban lifestyle.

Once the employees have kids, the vast majority of them move to the suburbs where there's room to play, better schools, and better activities. Those of us who live in the City are the exception.

I was hoping for a subtle "chevron" symbol in the top if the tower, like their building did in the Houston Center.

I'm glad they went with a mimic facade. The original has stood the test of time, and still looks f****** fabulous! I see they are cutting off the street? Was this approved by the city?

Also, I'm curious about the night time lighting, as it will certainly stand out in that location. This part of town could really use a new skyscraper, kind of baron. I'm just upset it's not 900', as I've dreamt up a building if that height would balance out the skyline from every angle.

Sure hope this isn't the final product. While it's great to have another tall tower, this building is pretty bland. It's in such a high profile area and has the opportunity to really shine if done with a little pizazz. Surely Chevron is aware of this and in the end will wow us.

• Like 1

Is this the first 50-story tower to go up in Houston since the Heritage Plaza in '86?

yes it is, its the tallest/biggest building built in downtown in almost 30 years. with all this new development it would seem another boom time is here for Houston. the future is bright.. cant wait till 2017 to see the majority of the large projects complete. though who knows how many more projects will be announced between now and the superbowl that surely wont be able to be completed in time for the big show.

Sure hope this isn't the final product. While it's great to have another tall tower, this building is pretty bland. It's in such a high profile area and has the opportunity to really shine if done with a little pizazz. Surely Chevron is aware of this and in the end will wow us.

post-9042-0-28696700-1372971559.jpg

Shhhhhhhhhhh! Keep your disappointment to yourself or Mister X will get mad and start insulting you on the board! We are all supposed to be thrilled with the simple box design and be happy with whatever they build, please dont have an opinion. What do you think this is, some kind of message board to discuss Houston Architecture or something?? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Shhhhhhhhhhh! Keep your disappointment to yourself or Mister X will get mad and start insulting you on the board! We are all supposed to be thrilled with the simple box design and be happy with whatever they build, please dont have an opinion. What do you think this is, some kind of message board to discuss Houston Architecture or something?? :rolleyes:

Hilarious - get's my vote for "Post of the Year"!  :lol: 

OUCH! I musta hurt Howard's feelings bad this time. But when you're right, you're right. I'm such a b****.  :D

This is a message board to discuss architecture? I thought it was the complaint desk of the damned (you know, a place for people to go who's lives suck). :P Just kidding Howard don't get cranky.

Heaven help the person around here who has anything nice to say about anything. Don't like the (fill in the blank)? Not my problem. Now back to your regularly scheduled whining , I mean "discussion".

Edited by Mister X

What are the possibilities of the executives moving corporate headquarters to Houston in the near future? someone on another message board seems to be pretty sure it will happen within the next 5 years and those executives will be moving into the old Exxonmobil building, expanding Chevrons campus even further.

OUCH! I musta hurt Howard's feelings bad this time. But when you're right, you're right. I'm such a b****.  :D

This is a message board to discuss architecture? I thought it was the complaint desk of the damned (you know, a place for people to go who's lives suck). :P Just kidding Howard don't get cranky.

Heaven help the person around here who has anything nice to say about anything. Don't like the (fill in the blank)? Not my problem. Now back to your regularly scheduled whining , I mean "discussion".

I srsly hope you're a teenager. That maturity...

Edited by xsatyr

I "srsly" hope you aren't an HISD teacher. :P  We should take this outside. I thought this thread was about your right to hate on boxes or something.  :rolleyes:

This thread is for the discussion of a proposed skyscraper in an architectural forum. ALL opinions of the building are welcomed.

Edited by xsatyr

I thought it was the complaint desk of the damned 

:lol:

Its not just this board. The Swamplot comment board is usually nothing but a collection of complaints. More often than not, people only take the time to post things if they are unhappy about something. It's human nature. If someone gets good service in a restaurant they might tell somebody. But if they get bad service they will tell 3 people.  

It seems to me that the current trend is to put a higher emphasis on features other than exterior appearance right now, but that's strictly a layman's perspective. LEEDS certification and how "liveable" a building is inside, seem to be a much higher emphasis.

Asking that question to the pros in the room, is that an accurate assessment or am I way off base?

• Like 1

It seems to me that the current trend is to put a higher emphasis on features other than exterior appearance right now, but that's strictly a layman's perspective. LEEDS certification and how "liveable" a building is inside, seem to be a much higher emphasis.

Asking that question to the pros in the room, is that an accurate assessment or am I way off base?

The problem with exterior features is all related to the cost of curtain wall.  About 5 years ago the bottom fell out of the glass market and something called unitized curtain wall started to become the norm.  Unitized curtain wall has a ton of benefits beyond traditional stick built glazing including: (energy performance, structural performance, keeping water out performance).

Once unitized systems became the standard, it became cost prohibitive to do anything else in the spandrel portion of the facade.  We can use metal panels, stone, etc but in order to keep cost down they are typically glazed into the curtain wall.  Combine that with the fact that there are less than 10 proven unitized designs on the market right now leads us to the era of "the boring glass box"

Architects are fighting this like mad but they are up against significant challenges from developers (cost).  We are seeing products start to compete but this glass box trend is going to be around for a while.

• Like 3

The problem with exterior features is all related to the cost of curtain wall.  About 5 years ago the bottom fell out of the glass market and something called unitized curtain wall started to become the norm.  Unitized curtain wall has a ton of benefits beyond traditional stick built glazing including: (energy performance, structural performance, keeping water out performance).

Once unitized systems became the standard, it became cost prohibitive to do anything else in the spandrel portion of the facade.  We can use metal panels, stone, etc but in order to keep cost down they are typically glazed into the curtain wall.  Combine that with the fact that there are less than 10 proven unitized designs on the market right now leads us to the era of "the boring glass box"

Architects are fighting this like mad but they are up against significant challenges from developers (cost).  We are seeing products start to compete but this glass box trend is going to be around for a while.

Boo-hoo. I guess this news is like death for the anti-box crowd.  :lol: I couldn't be happier tho. I love Houston. Now bring on the hate!

Once the employees have kids, the vast majority of them move to the suburbs where there's room to play, better schools, and better activities. Those of us who live in the City are the exception.

This will all be a wonderful experiment: which company will attract more employees - the one based in the suburbs or the one in downtown?

Exxon is certainly very convenient for people on the north side but nearly impossible (long-term) for people living in Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, or Clear Lake. Chevron is very convenient for only some workers, but is doable for almost any employee on any side of town, especially when all of the HOV lanes and express buses head towards downtown (and not towards some secluded forest location).

I can tell you this for sure - there will be employees switching from Exxon to Chevron and Chevron to Exxon (and similar companies). In fact, it's happening already.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me... I wonder how many Exxon Employees are going to try to jump ship and work for Chevron?   I've been talking to a huge number of Exxon employees and plenty of them are not happy about going to the campus.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me... I wonder how many Exxon Employees are going to try to jump ship and work for Chevron?   I've been talking to a huge number of Exxon employees and plenty of them are not happy about going to the campus.

I've heard the same. One guy wants to stay inside the Loop because of his wife's work (living in the northern burbs wouldn't be practical), but is none too pleased about the move. And they have kids. We shouldn't assume that having a family means you automatically want to move to the burbs and that of course The Woodlands is the most desirable suburb.

I've heard the same. One guy wants to stay inside the Loop because of his wife's work (living in the northern burbs wouldn't be practical), but is none too pleased about the move. And they have kids. We shouldn't assume that having a family means you automatically want to move to the burbs and that of course The Woodlands is the most desirable suburb.

What is the final straw to a number of them, are those that are located south of the city would be denied a moving stipend because it isn't far enough.

Great post. Wasn't aware of the "unitized curtain wall".

• Like 1

I'm just happy to see Chevron making such a strong commitment to downtown. Of course I wish the architecture was more striking and that the building was taller. I have serious doubts that any of us over the age of 30 will live to see anything resembling the trophy towers put up 30 years ago happen again in our lifetimes. With few exceptions like Transco those were put up for regional banks and that world doesn't exist anymore.

I'm just happy to see Chevron making such a strong commitment to downtown. Of course I wish the architecture was more striking and that the building was taller. I have serious doubts that any of us over the age of 30 will live to see anything resembling the trophy towers put up 30 years ago happen again in our lifetimes. With few exceptions like Transco those were put up for regional banks and that world doesn't exist anymore.

not sure how you can make that claim when Devon built that beauty in OKC

• Like 2

not sure how you can make that claim when Devon built that beauty in OKC

It's only a beauty because everything else in that city is ugly. Had it been built in our downtown it would only have been a "filler". Imagine BG Group Place was built in San Antonio, it would be their signature.

Edit: Maybe San Antonio is a bad example, because they actually have some beautiful high rises. Let's use El Paso or Fort Worth instead.

Edited by Montrose1100